PDA

View Full Version : Surfboard rack for Spyder?

duttchman
10-14-2015, 11:06 PM
Sorry if this was posted in the wrong spot, this is my first time posting.
I've recently moved to L.A. and since it barely rains here I decided to get rid of my car and use my RS-S as my only mode of transportation. I've loved getting to ride my baby more and the money I've saved getting rid of my car is a huge plus, but... I love to surf and something I didn't consider when I got rid of my car was that I'd no longer have a way to take my surfboard to the beach:gaah:. I've researched surfboard racks for my spyder but haven't been able to find anything. There's plenty of racks for normal motorcycles but seeing the way they attach to the bike I don't think they'd work on a Spyder. Do any of you know of any racks or ideas on how to put my surfboard on it? I'd appreciate any advice.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-14-2015, 11:14 PM
Sorry if this was posted in the wrong spot, this is my first time posting.
I've recently moved to L.A. and since it barely rains here I decided to get rid of my car and use my RS-S as my only mode of transportation. I've loved getting to ride my baby more and the money I've saved getting rid of my car is a huge plus, but... I love to surf and something I didn't consider when I got rid of my car was that I'd no longer have a way to take my surfboard to the beach:gaah:. I've researched surfboard racks for my spyder but haven't been able to find anything. There's plenty of racks for normal motorcycles but seeing the way they attach to the bike I don't think they'd work on a Spyder. Do any of you know of any racks or ideas on how to put my surfboard on it? I'd appreciate any advice.
Just my opinion but I think you'd be better off in the long run to look at buying or building a trailer to carry it. That way you wouldn't have extra stuff hanging on your Spyder when you're not transporting the surf board, and you could customize the trailer exactly for your needs. Since we don't have surfing waves here in Idaho I can't offer any specific ideas or leads for such a trailer, sorry. :dontknow:

The big problem with mounting a rack on the Spyder is they just don't have very many accessible and usable attachment areas that are solid enough for sturdy mount points.

Chupaca
10-14-2015, 11:45 PM
of any factory or aftermarket racks but should not be that hard unless your using a long board. The side bag mount could be converted to hold a short board. If not harbor frieght has some utility trailers that you convert into a surf buggy for all your gear and a few boards any length...:thumbup: there was a handicap fellow at spyder in the redwoods that custom build racks for spyders (wheel chairs, golf clubs, guitars etc) didn't get his name but if you get hold of spydergirl, member here, she could get you the name...:thumbup:

jtpollock
10-15-2015, 06:34 AM
Just my opinion but I think you'd be better off in the long run to look at buying or building a trailer to carry it. That way you wouldn't have extra stuff hanging on your Spyder when you're not transporting the surf board, and you could customize the trailer exactly for your needs. Since we don't have surfing waves here in Idaho I can't offer any specific ideas or leads for such a trailer, sorry. :dontknow:

The big problem with mounting a rack on the Spyder is they just don't have very many accessible and usable attachment areas that are solid enough for sturdy mount points.

:agree: the trailer is a good plan Look at the Harbor Freight trailer light weight easy to pull with the RS and you wont spend a lot of cash :thumbup: best of luck.jtpollock

Bfromla
10-15-2015, 06:52 AM
Just dont over pack:banghead:http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117969&stc=1 saw a wakebord rack mounted to a ski•doo might do you good. Dont know how you would mount to spyder http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117970&stc=1 trailer might be better option if your that dedicated to it. Good luck & post pic of solution:thumbup:

Roadster Renovations
10-15-2015, 07:34 AM
I full board would be hard to configure for. We manufacture a Spyder Rack that mounts on the hitch. It could be modified for a boogie board fairly easily. Here is the like and you can contact me if you are interested.

http://dochumphreys.wix.com/roadster#!products/cdk6

PrairieSpyder
10-15-2015, 10:48 AM
:welcome:

I think a trailer is your best bet, unless you want to engineer something.