PDA

View Full Version : Broken tie rod

hillrider
10-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Friend of mine recently went down in New York. He thinks it was from a broken tie rod. I can't find a single thread addressing tie rod problems. But I can find and know about the Swaybar link issues.

Has anyone seen anything about problems with tie rod's?

thanks

Bob Denman
10-10-2015, 07:56 PM
This is the first one of these, that I've heard about...
Did he hit something with it? :dontknow:

hillrider
10-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Don't know whether he hit something or not. However he is a subscriber to ATGATT. Hit the road at 65 at came away with a cut to the forehead (broken faceshield) and a broken ankle. Evidently it pays.

DJFaninTN
10-10-2015, 11:03 PM
something tells me there is more to this story .... i could be wrong but I'd sure like to know :shocked:

Chupaca
10-10-2015, 11:14 PM
Glad he is alright so to speak..never heard of such a problem. The hiem joints breaking would not cause such an accident and there would have to be serious previous damage to a tie rod for it to break. Would be interested to know what really happened here...:dontknow:

retired1
10-11-2015, 07:35 AM
I think I remember a couple of posts about replacement of front end parts that were "binding", on brand new machines. I couldn't find them using the search function, but that isn't unusual for me.

Bob Denman
10-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Those were the ball joints on the 2013 models; not the tie rods.

finless
10-11-2015, 01:26 PM
If the lock not was not tight on the tie rod, it could come out but before it did the rider I would think would notice serious problems with the alignment.

Bob

BajaRon
10-11-2015, 02:09 PM
I had a bad tie rod end joint on my Spyder. It made a lot of clunking noise as well as steering issues long before it was to the point of breakage. It's hard to believe a tie rod would just break with no warning signs at all.

I have no idea what happened here so no judgement intended. But there is a happy medium between obsessing over every little quirk and ignoring strange noises and changes in handling, breaking, etc.