PDA

View Full Version : SpyderGirl...

ataDude
01-25-2009, 04:54 PM
... I just saw your post about your electrical system problems. Sorry but I don't post on the other forum for reasons of my own.

First, let me say that I run dual 55w running lights (110 w total), radar detector and GPS, in addition to, at times, heated grips and the Corbin heated seat. I have had extended runs where all have been on at the same time.

I have never had charging problems although I suspect I will be "overdrawn" with one or two more mods.

Second, part of the info on the other site was incorrect. The Spyder has a magneto/rectifier charging system, not an alternator. Some bikes, like Valks and Goldwings (and others, I'm sure), do indeed have alternators. Not ours.

The Spyder magneto's rated output (per the book) is 500 watts (about 40 amps) at 6,000 rpm. As a comparison, the current Goldwing's alternator output is well over 1,000 watts... better than some cars and more than double the Spyder's output... particularly in the low RPM ranges. Those are really suitable for loading up the electronic goodies... our's - not so much so.

I'd say one of two things is happening:
1. Your RPMs are consistently too low to support your electrical load; or
2. The stereo amplifier is drawing much more than you think.

I have guessed before that we have about 200w to "play" with. But, that's all it is... my guess.

My $0.02. Disconnect the stereo... to check.

SpyderGirl
01-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Well I did a lot of changing things around and plan on adding a voltmeter to make sure I am keeping the RPMs in the optimal range. Living around here in the bay area we do a lot of sitting in traffic and idling around. I also like to keep the RPMs down when I am riding figuring it would help with gas mileage. I talked to someone at UNiQ Cycle Sounds and they assure me it only draws 3 amps.

I changed the amp wiring so that it's on a switch and is only on when I want it on... on the freeway or open road where I won't be stopping. That should help.

I appreciate all the information and the input everyone has given me. And I am sorry you don't like posting over at SpyderTalk.... I'm sure you have your reasons -- $h!t happens right?

Thanks again! :thumbup:

CLH
03-16-2020, 11:05 PM
Hi Spydergirl, 3 amps is 36 watts (volts x current=watts) (watts devised by (either volts or amps gives the other)) the Ryker, at least the Rally puts out 400 watts by the specifications. I think you are using LED head lights you have cut a lot of current. But what I dont know is what electronics you have added. It seems no one knows how much current the Spyders or Rykers draw just to operate their systems. But I have a pair of LED riding lights on my Ryker Rally and have had a stereo and found even with a good amp the noise that the Ryker makes when riding just makes it sound like crud. I use Samsung ICONX ear buds and find it to be much better. But good luck!

triplethreat
03-17-2020, 05:54 AM
Hi Spydergirl, 3 amps is 36 watts (volts x current=watts) (watts devised by (either volts or amps gives the other)) the Ryker, at least the Rally puts out 400 watts by the specifications. I think you are using LED head lights you have cut a lot of current. But what I dont know is what electronics you have added. It seems no one knows how much current the Spyders or Rykers draw just to operate their systems. But I have a pair of LED riding lights on my Ryker Rally and have had a stereo and found even with a good amp the noise that the Ryker makes when riding just makes it sound like crud. I use Samsung ICONX ear buds and find it to be much better. But good luck!

Seriously.....you replied to a thread that was laying dormant for 11+ YEARS!

ThreeWheels
03-17-2020, 06:07 AM
1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
53 to flame the spell checkers
41 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is"lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "lightbulb" is perfectly correct
156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"
109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum,and lightbulb forum about changing light bulbs be stopped
111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use lightbulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this forum
306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
27 to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs
14 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URLs
3 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
19 to quote the "Me toos" to say "Me three"
4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ
44 to ask what is a "FAQ"
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 to state that a light bulb does not emit light, it sucks dark. After it is full, it stays dark.
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

bikerbillone
03-17-2020, 06:20 AM
Egads, I had not noticed. This is indeed unusual, and here I was thinking my 2020 amp output was deficient!

ARtraveler
03-17-2020, 10:37 AM
There are probably going to be a lot of "resurrected old posts" happening of late. See :

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?129984-Cabin-fever!!

Older posts are actually some good reading. Just be aware of the dates, if you are going to reply to the OP. Many have come and gone from the site. Many are also back on the site.

Enjoy...and lets be nice to those who find them.

bikerbillone
03-17-2020, 10:41 AM
Whoops, had I noticed the op's date of post, then I would not have had doubts.

TicketBait
03-17-2020, 12:40 PM
Seriously.....you replied to a thread that was laying dormant for 11+ YEARS!

He did this on 5 other posts, and he himself has not been on in 4 years.

bikerbillone
03-17-2020, 12:56 PM
Well, I'm back to "egads", but it is what it is and we all have our little 'things' I suppose. But gotta give 'Dude' credit for over 3K posts from back when.

Northofthesix
03-17-2020, 02:37 PM
And of course, 179 to explain why the automotive light bulbs are much superior, and 265 who swear using autimotive light bulbs will void your warranty :)

wiggy1
03-17-2020, 03:04 PM
Go cabin fever!

ataDude
03-21-2020, 08:20 PM
I'm just glad that you decided one of my posts was worthy of comment. Eleven years later... or not. :ohyea:

jaherbst
03-21-2020, 08:40 PM
So what's wrong with 'old posts"? I happen to like old posts and "old Goats'? I will be 80 in two weeks so to me a post that is 11+ years old is just a blink of the eye! I miss some of the "old" originals. Didn't have to be all so touchy feely and politically correct and their posts were very entertaining to say the least. Well let's say it's the only thing I had to look forward to upon arising in the morning. Sometimes they were so funny I blew my coffee out my nose and had to find a clean T-shirt just to finish the news on the forum.

Now all I have to look forward too in the morning is which grocery store will have T/P or Anti bacterial goop.

Long live the "old Posts!

Jack
"

gkamer
03-22-2020, 06:59 PM
1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

Oh man, thanks. I'm still chuckling over this. "Do light bulbs emit light or suck dark...." Almost spit out my coffee.....

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-22-2020, 08:42 PM
Oh man, thanks. I'm still chuckling over this. "Do light bulbs emit light or suck dark...." Almost spit out my coffee.....

A friend of mine who years ago owned a print shop told me, "Keep the darkroom door closed. Otherwise all the dark leaks out!" :roflblack: