PDA

View Full Version : Is the F3 a sales success?

Rogue Hawk
10-10-2015, 12:15 AM
I have been looking around for sales figures with no luck. The more units sold the better for owners. I also wonder if other manufacturers have taken notice of the three wheel phenomenon.

Chupaca
10-10-2015, 12:42 AM
And if you find any data please post it here...not much is public I guess, the only thing I have seen is that they reached the 100,000 units sold mark but not even a break down...:thumbup:

loisk
10-10-2015, 01:00 AM
http://www.brp.com/en-us/company/news/brp-reports-fourth-quarter-and-fiscal-year-2015-results

No sales numbers, but the figures for 'year round products' are interesting.

Darren111
10-10-2015, 02:00 AM
And if you find any data please post it here...not much is public I guess, the only thing I have seen is that they reached the 100,000 units sold mark but not even a break down...:thumbup:

Didn't they give Jay Leno the first Spyder built and 100,000 thousandth Spyder built? Sure I read something about this recently, but I could be totally wrong.:dontknow:

Chupaca
10-10-2015, 02:30 AM
Didn't they give Jay Leno the first Spyder built and 100,000 thousandth Spyder built? Sure I read something about this recently, but I could be totally wrong.:dontknow:

Do know he got the first one...yellow..:2thumbs:

loisk
10-10-2015, 02:36 AM
I recall the 100,000 spyder, which was an F3 I believe, was presented to a fire-fighter at a function a few months' ago - so Leno missed out it seems.

Sales figures would be very interesting.

Here's what I've found - hoping somebody can find more -

Recalls 08 - 10 GS/RS = 9,600

Recalls 08-10 GS/RS and 10-12 RT = 33,700 (logically includes the 9,600 above)

Recalls 13 RT = 5,165 USA, 1,375 Canada, plus elsewhere to a total of > 7,000

Spyder annual sales exceed US$300m

It's my guess that the 33,700 figure above is US or US/Can total, not "elsewhere"

SO I've found sales of 33,700 + 7,000 = 40,700. IF 33,700 excludes non-US/Can, it could be increased by a fair bit I'd think.

So sales of 60,000 "missing"... ST, all 2014-15 sales, ...

Anyone?

jaherbst
10-10-2015, 09:15 AM
I have been looking around for sales figures with no luck. The more units sold the better for owners. I also wonder if other manufacturers have taken notice of the three wheel phenomenon.

Not according to Ride Now Motorsports. (36+ dealerships throughout the USA) Stopped at the Ina store here in Tucson and they are sitting all over the floor. I would guess 8-10. No RT's in site with one black Freedom trailer. Several management people said F3 sales are slow and not moving as expected.

Jack

SpyderAnn01
10-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Not according to Ride Now Motorsports. (36+ dealerships throughout the USA) Stopped at the Ina store here in Tucson and they are sitting all over the floor. I would guess 8-10. No RT's in site with one black Freedom trailer. Several management people said F3 sales are slow and not moving as expected.

Jack

I got that same feeling from my dealer. He has several F3s left over and would love to have a bunch of RTs to sell. He said that at the dealer show they told him to order lots of RTs for 16 as that is where the demand is.

hk31
10-10-2015, 10:14 AM
I would think can am only reports sales to dealers not the end user, but could be wrong. Are they publicly traded?

Deer Slayer
10-10-2015, 10:56 AM
I have seen a number of Trikes traded in on RTs. The new owners like the ele. assisted stearing and the SE transmissions and better ride. (Owner comments):cheers:

joebryanjr
10-10-2015, 10:59 AM
I do not know about totals but the 100,000th Spyder was delivered to its owner at SPYDERFEST this year. It was an F3s

TommyBwell
10-10-2015, 12:14 PM
I know the F3 converted me. I sat on Spyders most every time I went to a dealer over the years and took test rides twice but never found a riding position that agreed with me. When I sat on a F3 with the orange U-Fit thing that let you try all the different positions I finally found a Spyder that worked for me. I have owned dozens of motorcycles of which zero were cruisers but the F3 works for me. I'm sure there are plenty on dealers floor next to all the other Spyders.

In my opinion the key was the factory incentive when I bought mine in August. It was up to $3,000 off but the F3 only got $1,000. That leads me to believe they were less concerned about moving the F3 than other models which which received higher incentives.

marcojolo
10-10-2015, 12:50 PM
I would bet that they haven't moved as many F3's as they thought they would. It seems to me like most of the people that buy these things are buying them to tour.......older retiree types. I know that that is not totally the case but i would bet that that is mostly the case. I know for me I bought the F3 because I have always wanted a motorcycle but never could have one growing up and my wife wasn't keen on me learning to ride a two wheeler when we have young kids at home etc. For me I am perfectly happy just driving back and forth to work and maybe the occasional 2-3 hr ride but I don't think that the majority of the people that are seriously considering a spyder have that same mindset......they want to tour. I love the F3 but I think that most people seriously considering a spyder are at a point in life where the RT is more appealing. I think that will change though with the introduction of the F3-T. Time will tell.

ARtraveler
10-10-2015, 02:30 PM

Jay got the first Spyder--serial #001--according to legend.

The 100,000th was shown at Spyderfest, I believe, and it went to a "regular" person.

They will correct me if I have misspoken.

JkRbbt
10-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Got the same response from the local dealer here in So Dak, F3 not moving fast. Sure happy with mine, tho! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
10-10-2015, 02:39 PM
RE: F3 popularity.

It appears to be designed for those who want the "cruiser" look. The new F3 S Touring and Limited seem to fit the bill pretty good.

It will be interesting to see if they win over the "black leather" crowd with the new Triple Black version. It did not seem to explode the way they wanted it to at Sturgis.

The current demographic seems to want mostly luxury and touring ameneties. The RT fills the bill moreso than the F3.

I have now owned three RT versions and two RS versions. I looked at F3 last year, and was not moved enough to jump.

The 2016 F3 Limited has tweeked my interest (Intense Red Pearl). I like the Cruiser (F6B/Harley Road King) look. Not in need of a full blown touring :spyder2: any more--so if the dealer works with me--I will have one in the spring.

We will still have the 2014 RT-S in the stable--so will have one of each from two different perspectives.

Even have a set of black leather to ride in (jackets, chaps, NON CYCLE BRANDED) so I already have the duds to be dressed for the cruiser "look." :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

From another thread, I will wear my FirstGear "clown suit" when I drive the RT-S.

jaherbst
10-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Jay got the first Spyder--serial #001--according to legend.

The 100,000th was shown at Spyderfest, I believe, and it went to a "regular" person.

They will correct me if I have misspoken.

I was there when it was presented. And yes went to a deserving young fellow. Nice to watch. Right Lamont?

Jack

Mike Ard
10-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Got the same response from the local dealer here in So Dak, F3 not moving fast. Sure happy with mine, tho! :thumbup:

I think it depends on where you live and also the dealer. My dealership sold every F3 that they could get their hands on.

Tango
10-10-2015, 07:16 PM
Funny you should post this. Stopped at my dealer this week and I didn't have to ask. He volunteered the info. The F3 is a bust. He is selling Rt's very well. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

bmccaffrey
10-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Plenty of f3s here in new york.

Not seeing many new rts around

JkRbbt
10-10-2015, 07:51 PM
I know the Spydie crowd leans to touring interests. I have ridden H/D Ultras, a Goldwing and a couple of Beemers. The most comfortable H/D for my stature was a 2002 Deuce, a cruiser. Having owned a couple of RTs and now an F3, the F3 just fits better. Sure I like the storage better on the RT, but for just pure comfort going down the road, it seems the F3 does a better job for me. Hopefully the F3 attracts more attention because I certainly would like to see it thrive! :thumbup:

Rob Rodriguez
10-10-2015, 08:40 PM
I was at a large dealer (large meaning they sold multiple brands of bikes and all Can-Am product as well as tractors) in New Hampshire last month. They had a great Spyder display set up. I was talking to one of the sales guy there about "sleds" (snowmobiles for those of you not in the know), asked him how Spyder sales were. He said they were decent. They sold 15 Spyders this year. Not one of them was an F3. I bet if someone was looking they could work a sweet deal on one there. They has 3 on the floor, not sure how many out back in crates?

He didn't tell what they sales breakdown was but he did say RT's were most of them.

STELLING MAN
10-10-2015, 08:57 PM
While at my local dealer getting a new rear tire Installed, I was talking to the sales person and was told that the F3's didn't sell very good In our area this year..

jaherbst
10-10-2015, 09:09 PM
I think if they put a touring windshield on it on the display floor and the new handbags, they would sell more. They are all displayed with no windshield and look naked. JMO Then they are told what the windshield would cost and they go "Holy Moses" what else do I have to buy. $5000 dollars later they say "hell I might just as well buy an RT".

Jack

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-10-2015, 09:11 PM
The two dealers near me have several F3s in stock and very few RTs. I think only one ryder in the local SRA chapter is an F3 owner.

marcojolo
10-10-2015, 09:13 PM
It will be very interesting to see how the F3-T sells next year. It seems that the spyder crowd seems to be mostly into touring and they want their storage space. I went to two different dealers when I was looking and they said that they had not sold any F3's either. They also said they hadn't sold any RS's either.......Even the RS that was meant more for touring......the really cool blue one. I am one who also hopes that the F3 line thrives.

MikeinGA
10-10-2015, 09:27 PM
The 100,000 Spyders made sounds ok, But your talking over almost 8 years. That's about Spyders 12,500 made a year. That doesn't mean new Spyder riders. There are a number of Spyder Riders that owned 2 or 3 or more Spyders and that doesn't show how many are in dealers inventory and that 100,000 is a worldwide number.

Mike

Tazzel
10-10-2015, 10:28 PM
The problem is not the fact that no one likes them or no storage vs storage, its that fact that they are so damn expensive. Everyone I know loved my RS and they love my F3 but the cost of purchasesing one is what keeps the numbers low. The Spyder came out when the US was just getting into the recession and now that the US is pulling out of it few can justify purchasing a luxury item like a Spyder.

Sarge707
10-11-2015, 09:13 AM
I bought the F3 because the Base model sm6 only cost me $18,000 and Taxes NEW Sooo it was a Lot cheaper than the RT and I got the 1330 Engine and All the Low Maintenance things with it.

I don,t tour So It was a Great Buy and Only $500 more than the $17,500 I paid for my 2009 GS SE5?

Getting the base model is always a LOT Cheaper, The higher up you go in the Models "The More Profit" there is for BRP?nojoke

Jazzplayer2014
10-11-2015, 03:33 PM
I have a 2014 RT Limited, but last year when I rode the F-3 I was smitten but not enough to buy one it was missing cargo space, a radio, and i did not like the placement of the gps, ergo I'll get did not add it to the stable . Now, the F-3 has solve those issues and I'm on the fence about getting one in Feb or waiting for the best deal that will pop-up in Mar of next year.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

ARtraveler
10-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Cost has now entered the picture on the F3. When first introduced the entry price of about $20K was a real plus. Add the packages, item by item, like it worked last year, and you had the price of an RT plus, real quick.

The three upline packages this year, Touring, Limited, and Triple Black have managed to do the same thing. The LTD, which I am interested in is $28K and I have $1K worth of farkles that I am considering. Tall windshield, Upline seat, and Front Trunk light bar.

About the same as a RT-S with a few amenities missing. No Trunk, No air adjustable shocks, No electric windshield. I think I mentioned it all.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, is the F6B Cruiser look worth the money?
I do like that Intense Red Pearl color. :popcorn::popcorn:

2RTsGV
10-11-2015, 04:36 PM
I think if they put a touring windshield on it on the display floor and the new handbags, they would sell more. They are all displayed with no windshield and look naked. JMO Then they are told what the windshield would cost and they go "Holy Moses" what else do I have to buy. $5000 dollars later they say "hell I might just as well buy an RT".

Jack

I agree 100% with your analysis ... the price range for an F3 with bags, backrest & touring screen is very close to the RT

bmccaffrey
10-11-2015, 08:22 PM
YES TO ALL

WILL NOT BE A HUGE SELLER

PRICE WAY TO CLOSE TO RT:dontknow::dontknow: