PDA

View Full Version : Home made GPS at Spyderfest

SpyderDavidson
10-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Earlier this spring at Spyderfest someone had "made" their own GPS. They took a tablet (6X7 or 6X8), he said cost about $79, made the holder himself, and downloaded an map app for around $35. It looked awesome, and I didn't have any paper or pencils to write the info down. I was really impressed by the size and clarity.

My Garmin just died and am interested in replacing it with a bigger, less expensive unit. I really like the looks of the tablet GPS. If anyone has done this or knows about this, I would appreciate any information I can get.

Thanks in advance,

Spyder Davidson

Texmac1011
10-09-2015, 05:16 AM
I would think any tablet running Google maps would do the trick. I do the same thing with my phone, but the larger screen of the tablet would be better. I assume the person had a data plan since they downloaded a map app.

wyliec
10-09-2015, 07:11 AM
I would think any tablet running Google maps would do the trick. I do the same thing with my phone, but the larger screen of the tablet would be better. I assume the person had a data plan since they downloaded a map app.

I was also wondering how it could be done without a data plan. Whomever the data plan was from would have to support that type tablet. What I'm wondering is whether the GPS function on the tablet is active, or is more like a paper map.

BaldEagle
10-09-2015, 07:31 AM
Initially sounds like a good idea. I too, with these older eyes, would love a larger display. My 2 main concerns with using a tablet is that satellite signal availability, for GPS, is better than cellular in more remote locations and I'm not sure how well tablets would hold up in wet weather. Thoughts?:dontknow:

ElmoLucy
10-09-2015, 08:27 AM
Look into a tablet that has GPS function built in then purchase a GPS app. I use my iPhone as my GPS and gives voice command through my Sena 20. No need for cell service to be working. Where I live cell service stinks no matter which provider you have. Tried google maps at first and it always showed where I was, but most often the screen was grayed out because there was no cell service. Just my 2 cents worth. YMMV

OlJim
10-09-2015, 08:58 AM
I run a program called CoPilot from http://www.alk.com/. All the maps are stored on your device so you do not have to be connected for it to work.

kbwitt
10-09-2015, 09:26 AM
I run a program called CoPilot from http://www.alk.com/. All the maps are stored on your device so you do not have to be connected for it to work.

I bought the up grade that talks, the system sucks big time

OlJim
10-09-2015, 10:01 AM
I bought the up grade that talks, the system sucks big time
I've ran this program since 1990 when I bought my first RV. It can be a bit frustrating at times but generally works fine. Make sure you use a device with a good GPS chip or it can be a bit slow. I've got it loaded on two phones, two tablets and a laptop.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-09-2015, 10:44 AM
Earlier this spring at Spyderfest someone had "made" their own GPS. They took a tablet (6X7 or 6X8), he said cost about $79, made the holder himself, and downloaded an map app for around $35. It looked awesome, and I didn't have any paper or pencils to write the info down. I was really impressed by the size and clarity.

My Garmin just died and am interested in replacing it with a bigger, less expensive unit. I really like the looks of the tablet GPS. If anyone has done this or knows about this, I would appreciate any information I can get.

Thanks in advance,

Spyder Davidson
Does this look familiar? http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64013-Using-a-non-BRP-GPS-Part-1&p=779861&viewfull=1#post779861

It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running the Sygic app. Any Android tablet with a good GPS receiver will work. 2 1/2 years ago this was one of the best reviewed for a tablet receiver but have no idea what things are like now. I made the sheet metal shade. The mount parts are Ram Mount. Also back then I felt the Sygic app was the best of the GPS apps available, but here again things may not be the same. It uses Tom Tom maps which seem to stay up to date pretty well. I'm not sure about the current pricing scheme but I paid a one time fee for the app and lifetime map updates. With an app like this you don't need a data plan and you have the maps with you regardless of cell phone coverage. And there are still a lot of secondary highways with no cell coverage. You do have to have internet connection to download maps and updates.

Two shortcomings with Sygic. It's not easy to import routes but I came up with a system that works quite well but is a bit tedious. The other is there seems to be a problem trying to add waypoints to a running itinerary. I need to check with Sygic support on this. I have a new Tab 3 so maybe the app will work better on it.

As far as mounting I'm inclined to get one of JT's mounting bars and bring the tablet up a little higher. Also the Tab 3 is 1" larger so I don't know how that's going to work. I may take the Tab 3 back and look at something the same as the Tab 2 for size.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-09-2015, 10:52 AM
I should have mentioned one of the best features of Sygic compared to the others I looked at is configurability. You can set all kinds of sound, voices and languages from all around the world, excess speed warnings, and so on. You can set at what speed above the speed limit the warning comes on, and how far ahead of turns and speed limit changes the warnings start. All kinds of options about notifications about gas stations, restaurants, etc.

ABQSpyder
10-09-2015, 11:18 AM
Try. HERE maps. It's free and works offline. They broke off from Nokia years ago and are now doing work for Garmin. The best voice directions I've ever heard. It's Free so try before you waste to much if your data plan. Out here in the wild west cell reception is not always there!
Good luck in your search.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Try. HERE maps. It's free and works offline. They broke off from Nokia years ago and are now doing work for Garmin. The best voice directions I've ever heard. It's Free so try before you waste to much if your data plan. Out here in the wild west cell reception is not always there!
Good luck in your search.

Link didn't make it! You want to try again?

etaoin
10-09-2015, 01:44 PM
I use an iPad Mini running a (purchased) TomTom GPS app. Mounted with RAM mount stuff and it works great.

markyodo
10-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Navigon (http://www.navigon.com/portal/us/produkte/navigationssoftware/index.html), offline maps download only what you need, motorcycle mode, voice, custom routes, traffic, Wikipedia, etc. etc.
Best money I have spent on GPS so far. Apple, Android, Windows.

Trickie Dick
10-09-2015, 08:22 PM
http://www.webbikeworld.com/gps/nexus-7-gps/using-a-tablet-as-a-gps.htm

I would also suggest you look at the HERE maps. You can download them and use them offline if need be. Pretty good program as you just download what you need. The trip planning is pretty good also.

OlJim
10-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Link didn't make it! You want to try again?
HERE Maps is the name of the app. I was confused also until I did a bit of further research.

WA5VHU
10-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Samsung 7" tablet using Sygic with a Ram Mount X-Grip and JT's dash mount. Worked good but didn't use it long, bought a 2014 RT Limited that came with a Garmin.

And no, it didn't block the view, it was well below my line of sight of the horizon.

Charles

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117703&stc=1

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-10-2015, 12:54 AM
Initially sounds like a good idea. I too, with these older eyes, would love a larger display. My 2 main concerns with using a tablet is that satellite signal availability, for GPS, is better than cellular in more remote locations and I'm not sure how well tablets would hold up in wet weather. Thoughts?:dontknow:
Satellite signal is always better than cellular. A tablet with a good GPS receiver and downloaded maps like the several mentioned will always show you your way. No cell connection needed. My tablet has gotten wet a few times, once almost soaked. The shield behind and above keeps rain from directly pounding it. It has not suffered any damage from the rain, but I sure wouldn't let it get wet needlessly. Once I did put a Zip Lock bag over it to keep it somewhat dry when I was riding through some rain that would drown a frog.

SpyderDavidson
10-14-2015, 10:59 AM
:thumbup: I was hoping you were on here. At Spyderfest I fell in love with your GPS. It was evening and I didn't have a pencil, paper, or my camera, or I would have gotten the information them.

Someone said they were concerned about weather and some one else used the same solution I do. There is a really inexpensive fix for that, I carry Zip Lock baggies (or any other brand). If it starts to rain I just put a baggy over the GPS and zip it as far as I can at the bottom. I have never had a problem with it blowing off. A plastic sack with a twist tie also works if you run out of Zip Loc. I can't begin to tell you how many miles I've ridden in the rain with a sack over my GPS. I do try to get the smallest one that fits. If it's stretched a little bit it's easier to see through it.

I have some good news, my wife has decided she wants a new tablet so she is going to give me her Toshiba Thrive external dimensions are 10 3/4 X 7 with a 8 1/2 X 5 inch screen. That's a little too much border, but you can't beat free. LOL

Thanks to all that answered my question:

Hope to see you all at Spyderfest next year. We start planning it this month and we plan on trying to out do ourselves again. I think we'll have some great new surprises.

Does this look familiar? http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64013-Using-a-non-BRP-GPS-Part-1&p=779861&viewfull=1#post779861

It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running the Sygic app. Any Android tablet with a good GPS receiver will work. 2 1/2 years ago this was one of the best reviewed for a tablet receiver but have no idea what things are like now. I made the sheet metal shade. The mount parts are Ram Mount. Also back then I felt the Sygic app was the best of the GPS apps available, but here again things may not be the same. It uses Tom Tom maps which seem to stay up to date pretty well. I'm not sure about the current pricing scheme but I paid a one time fee for the app and lifetime map updates. With an app like this you don't need a data plan and you have the maps with you regardless of cell phone coverage. And there are still a lot of secondary highways with no cell coverage. You do have to have internet connection to download maps and updates.

Two shortcomings with Sygic. It's not easy to import routes but I came up with a system that works quite well but is a bit tedious. The other is there seems to be a problem trying to add waypoints to a running itinerary. I need to check with Sygic support on this. I have a new Tab 3 so maybe the app will work better on it.

As far as mounting I'm inclined to get one of JT's mounting bars and bring the tablet up a little higher. Also the Tab 3 is 1" larger so I don't know how that's going to work. I may take the Tab 3 back and look at something the same as the Tab 2 for size.