PDA

View Full Version : MC Endorcement in GA

MS_Spyderman
10-08-2015, 07:12 PM
We're planning to move to GA in the near future. Does anyone know if a Spyder can be used for the driving test to get the MC Endorcement on my license?

redneck diva
10-08-2015, 08:02 PM
yes it can be used in GA...................

thats how i got mine

TomG
10-09-2015, 07:45 AM
I took the test on my Spyder about 3 years ago, and must of have been the first to do so on a Spyder at that location, or at least for that particular tester. I was instructed to meet the tester in back of the building.
When she arrived, carrying an armfull of cones and a binder, she told me to go to a particular point and wait, while she set up cones for the first exercise. She explained that the exercise was the one where you start at line A, accelerate to line B, where brakes are applied to stop near but before line C.

The tester then got a very bewildered look on her face. She was looking back and forth between me and my ride, and the path she had just marked with cones. She then asked me to wait a moment, and disappeared back into the building.

When she returned, there was a second tester with her, carrying another binder. Using the new binder, they laid out the course for a Spyder instead of a 2 wheeler.after this rocky start, all went well.

GeorgiaBill
10-09-2015, 09:38 AM
We're planning to move to GA in the near future. Does anyone know if a Spyder can be used for the driving test to get the MC Endorcement on my license?
I moved to GA from CA 40 years ago and already had the MC endorsement. At that time I did not have to take the test, it just transferred.
-Bill

GeorgiaBill
10-09-2015, 09:46 AM
I took the test on my Spyder about 3 years ago, and must of have been the first to do so on a Spyder at that location, or at least for that particular tester. I was instructed to meet the tester in back of the building.
When she arrived, carrying an armfull of cones and a binder, she told me to go to a particular point and wait, while she set up cones for the first exercise. She explained that the exercise was the one where you start at line A, accelerate to line B, where brakes are applied to stop near but before line C.

The tester then got a very bewildered look on her face. She was looking back and forth between me and my ride, and the path she had just marked with cones. She then asked me to wait a moment, and disappeared back into the building.

When she returned, there was a second tester with her, carrying another binder. Using the new binder, they laid out the course for a Spyder instead of a 2 wheeler.after this rocky start, all went well.

I think I have to take the test for my next renewal in 2017 because of my age, and sure do plan to use the Spyder. I'm going up the road to Calhoun because those folks are much easier to deal with. I observed the folks here in Marietta when my daughter was preparing for her test and they were not friendly or helpful or useful. We drove up to Calhoun. I watched a motorcyclist take the test and the attendant tried so hard to help him, but he ultimately failed.
-Bill

redneck diva
10-09-2015, 02:18 PM
another good spot to go to is Between. yes thats the name of the town Between

hardly anyone knows there is a License center there so your always in & out with no waits.

james199
10-09-2015, 03:14 PM
I believe that Ga is the same as most states in that if you take a 3wmc class then you will be ok to drive the spyder just dont get cought driving 2 wheels as the endorsement is different. In Fl ours will say mc endorsed ( for 2 wheels ) or it will say 3wmc endorsed (for 3 wheels )..A normal MC endorsement covers both. There is a Difference.

jeffjep
10-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Just took mine in Warner Robins, GA this week. Only took about 20 minutes for the test itself. I was able to use my RT-S and made a perfect score.

Spyder 42
10-09-2015, 04:43 PM
I moved to GA in 1993. I had an operators license with a motorcycle endorsement in OH. Had to take both written tests but no road test.

MS_Spyderman
10-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks, guys. I just wanted to know what to expect. Sounds like I'll be good to go. I am mc endorsed in MS, but I don't have a 2-wheeler anymore.

Deer Slayer
10-10-2015, 11:04 AM
Endorsement transfer? NC transfered my Hawaii MC endorsement when I returned to NC.
:cheers:

SMAUG
10-10-2015, 04:08 PM
fyi - as of last available info

GA - has no specific 3wmc endorsement

Taking the 3wmc course in GA does NOT get you waiver from the test (still need to go
to DDS and take the riding test etc)

You can take the 2wmc, (on 2 wheels, generally bikes provided by the site), if pass , get waiver
and get GA motorcycle endorsement.. then legal on 3 wheels

If moving from out-of-state, have 30 days, I would think MC endorsement should transfer (check with GA - DDS).
HOWEVER, make sure that the M endorsement is on the new GA license BEFORE you leave the DDS window
(if not you may need to start from scratch)

Pennyrick
10-10-2015, 04:14 PM
I had already secured my MC endorsement before moving to Georgia but we bought a Suzuki Burghman for my wife (whose MC endorsement had expired) and had it triked before she took her Georgia tests.

She first went to the test center in Lithonia where the testing officer told her he could not test her because she wasn't riding a 'real' motorcycle.She then went to Lawrenceville where she passed the driving test but just barely squeaked by on the written test. I checked the test and discovered that if a rider followed instructions as written for a two wheeled cycle such as 'counter steering' one would qulckly end up in the ditch. I complained to the person in charge at the bureau that it did not apply to three wheelers and she looked at me like I had two heads.

So, I wrote to my state representative pointing out the unsafe practices noted in the test suggesting that someone in the DMV wasn't up to speed on three wheeled cycles either with two in back or in front and that someone could get killed if they followed the advice from the state. About a year later the instruction manual for riders was rewritten.

TommyBwell
10-10-2015, 09:20 PM

hardly anyone knows there is a License center there so your always in & out with no waits.
I used to go up to Gainesville because it was pretty slow but when I took my son there when he as sixteen it cost me a whole bunch of money so now I go to the one I'm supposed to and wait.

GeorgiaBill
10-15-2015, 07:59 AM

Between Loganville and Monroe.

Thanks

GeorgiaBill
10-15-2015, 08:10 AM
I believe that Ga is the same as most states in that if you take a 3wmc class then you will be ok to drive the spyder just dont get cought driving 2 wheels as the endorsement is different. In Fl ours will say mc endorsed ( for 2 wheels ) or it will say 3wmc endorsed (for 3 wheels )..A normal MC endorsement covers both. There is a Difference.
I'm good until my birthday in 2017, and will check the law then. Will use a KLR650 if necessary.

GeorgiaBill
10-15-2015, 08:17 AM
I used to go up to Gainesville because it was pretty slow but when I took my son there when he as sixteen it cost me a whole bunch of money so now I go to the one I'm supposed to and wait.
That did cost some money.

Was it before, during, or after the test? Who was driving.