PDA

View Full Version : city bike in the woods

james199
10-06-2015, 09:30 AM
Well we ( the wife and i ) finally got a chance to go up to our property in north Fl and it is the first time either of us have had our spyders off the asphalt and i must say it's no different from the highway except for the Damn dogs that like to chase cars. The dogs must have been in shock the first few times we drove by as they just sat by the road looking at us..lol.. The last 4 years have been hell as the road in is truly bad and we always did it on 2 wheels. I keep finding myself asking why didn't I buy a spyder years ago ?

I love my spyder

SpyderAnn01
10-06-2015, 10:50 AM
We rode to Alaska this summer, 10 Spyders and my husband on an adventure bike, and the Spyders did great on the roads that lacked pavement. Just be sure to keep an eye on your belt. Wouldn't it be nice if BRP made an Adventure Spyder model?

pegasus1300
10-06-2015, 02:32 PM
We rode to Alaska this summer, 10 Spyders and my husband on an adventure bike, and the Spyders did great on the roads that lacked pavement. Just be sure to keep an eye on your belt. Wouldn't it be nice if BRP made an Adventure Spyder model?
A taller suspension and a full belt guard,that would be so much fun. Might be hard on a deeply rutted road with lots of rocks but otherwise.....oh boy

4 MARIE
10-06-2015, 04:35 PM
. Wouldn't it be nice if BRP made an Adventure Spyder model?[/QUOTE]

I asked about that a year or so ago. Thinking a little ground clearance and some
actually functional luggage would be sweet. Even used the "adventure tour" name.
I was nearly tarred and feathered by 80% of the kind readers here. I almost logged off
at that point, because some were downright angry.

and THEN... BRP sees fit to make a "sit up and beg cruiser" maybe there is hope for
the practical after all.

pegasus1300
10-06-2015, 06:23 PM
I think its a great idea. Every major manufacturer except Harley has one. BRP already has a ton of off road experience. I don't think they would have to do that much to make it a good dirt road backwoods adventure bike.

MRH
10-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Wouldn't that more or less amount to a three wheeled ATV, which I understand are no longer made for safety reasons?

beefybudds
10-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Wouldn't that more or less amount to a three wheeled ATV, which I understand are no longer made for safety reasons?
All the old 3 wheel were 2 in back.. Very easy to tip

Windagetray
10-07-2015, 12:53 PM
All the old 3 wheel were 2 in back.. Very easy to tip

Is it just coincidence that I found this post the day after seeing a 3-wheeled Honda "ATV looking" machine on the road in front of me with a license plate on it? I live near the southern boarder of Pennsylvania near Fairfield, PA. This machine had a Maryland motorcycle tag on it. It didn't look as comfortable as my RTS but, it seemed road worthy. It looked a bit longer and wider than most 3-wheeled ATV's I've seen so, I assume there was some modifications involved (including adding appropriate lighting/signaling/etc.). So, I googled them! I was amazed at what I found. There MUST be a way to make a typical trike stable. After all, how does Harley and Honda make their trikes stable enough to be safe at highway speeds? My supposition is that a lot has to do with the height (center of gravity) of the engine, battery and rider(s). The machine I saw yesterday seemed very stable. It also seemed a bit lower than a typical ATV 3-wheeler BUT, it still have WAY more clearance than my RTS! Good Luck and be careful!

Mike

Questions
02-17-2016, 01:42 PM
I think its a great idea. Every major manufacturer except Harley has one. BRP already has a ton of off road experience. I don't think they would have to do that much to make it a good dirt road backwoods adventure bike.

Adding my endorsement to this great idea! I'd buy one for sure if it were no more expensive than a new F3.

Ace Café Rat

Bob Denman
02-17-2016, 03:35 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124358&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124359&stc=1

Casher50
02-21-2016, 02:30 PM
My Spyder is very stable off the pavement, but is very low to the ground. I wouldn't want to get it into rough terrain because it grounds on rough pavement and other road irregularities too easily.

Bob Denman
02-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Here's another way to trim things back a bit...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124549&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=124550&stc=1