PDA

View Full Version : NEED SOME ADVICE, PLEASE

oldguyinTX
10-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Was going out on a ride today, and I stopped to fill up with gas. Restarted the Spyder, went about 25 feet, and got "VSS Fault" message and the check engine light on the screen. The engine light was displayed both at the bottom of the screen and on the right side as well. Then I got the "Limp Home Mode" message. Rode about 1/2 mile and pulled into a parking lot. Shut it down, pulled the key and walked away for 10 minutes. Yeah, I know that is a myth, but I did it anyway, figuring I had nothing to lose. Put the key back in, got past the startup screen, and checked for codes. There were none. Rode home 5 miles and all of the faults were gone, although - and this may be just my imagination - the Spyder seemed to be running a little rough, as if it was misfiring. If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions about this I would really appreciate it, and thanks in advance.

JayBros
10-04-2015, 02:28 PM
I believe but am not certain that if you kill the engine and turn off the ignition switch before checking for codes, when you turn it on again the codes will not appear but can be retrieved with BUDS if they are active codes generated by the Spyder as opposed to some transient computer burp. Maybe the key walk did work.

oldguyinTX
10-04-2015, 08:51 PM
I believe but am not certain that if you kill the engine and turn off the ignition switch before checking for codes, when you turn it on again the codes will not appear but can be retrieved with BUDS if they are active codes generated by the Spyder as opposed to some transient computer burp. Maybe the key walk did work.

Thanks for your help. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Gray Ghost
10-04-2015, 09:28 PM

You can retrieve active codes from the display. Once the Spyder is turned off, the codes are written into historical codes. If they don't come back when the Spyder is turned on, then you can only see them with BUDS under the historical codes section.

kbwitt
10-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Was the bike sitting for awhile were sun was shinning directly on the dashboard . It can over heat and give false readings. The micro prossesors on my out door kilns malfunction if they get too hot.
Kenn

Bob Denman
10-05-2015, 06:58 AM
I'm sorry that I've got to ask this :shocked:...

I know that you've got lots of miles piled up, but is there any possible chance, that your foot was touching the brake pedal? :dontknow:
(Could the side of your boot have caught it, and engaged it just enough???)

oldguyinTX
10-05-2015, 07:32 AM
Was under an awning while fueling, so no, not in the sun. Bob, I was getting ready to brake as I was approaching the Post Road from the fuel pump, but I don't think I had my boot on or near the brake pedal yet. Think I'm just gonna have it towed to the dealer tomorrow, won't cost me anything for the tow. The rear shock needs to be checked anyway.

Bob Denman
10-05-2015, 07:38 AM
:opps: Sorry...
I know that my boots can get tangled up in just about anything... nojoke
Good Luck; please let us know what they find! :thumbup:

pwm
10-05-2015, 07:42 AM
Check your oil. My 12 does this if the oil is low.

oldguyinTX
10-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Check your oil. My 12 does this if the oil is low.

Checked the oil 3 days ago, and added maybe 1 cup. I know it is not leaking, as it is parked in a garage on concrete. I know that the 998 uses oil, and I check at least once a week. Thanks for the insight.