PDA

View Full Version : RTS To Sell or Keep? (Bajaron Sway Bar)

JimboRTS
10-04-2015, 10:21 AM
I purchased a 2012 RTS this spring with 1,900 miles on it. I took my first ride and it was bad it scared the heck out of me all over the road, wind blowing me around. I figured I just need to get used to it. I finaly got up to 65 mph and thought I was going to go off the road and kill my self. Why would any one buy a spyder was beyond me. My next idea was to ride it and I would get used to it. I rode it for 1500 miles and decide I was going to get used to it, I will learn to ride this thing yet. Well after 1500 miles I purchase a 4 sale sign. Wait a minute why don't I try a Bajaron sway bar. I put the sway bar on and on a day with 30 mph winds headed down the interstate I got it up to 75mph then with only one hand on the handlebars sat back and relaxed. I also took both hands off the handle bars for a few seconds. The ride was now great. Its a keeper. What can I say.

Jim

Pampurrs
10-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Yup :2thumbs: the BajaRon sway bar is like magic!

Glad you gave the :spyder2: a chance.

Pam

ingramwc
10-04-2015, 11:55 AM
With out a doubt, the best money you can spend on your Spyder!!!!!!:firstplace::firstplace::firstplace::f irstplace: Thanks to BajaRon!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Chupaca
10-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Aways nice to hear a success story. Glad you gave it all a last go around and found the magic. Get that laser alignment keep tire pressue equal both side and balanced wheels and your solid...:2thumbs:

Gunner3773
10-04-2015, 01:36 PM
Aways nice to hear a success story. Glad you gave it all a last go around and found the magic. Get that laser alignment keep tire pressue equal both side and balanced wheels and your solid...:2thumbs:
+1

JayBros
10-04-2015, 03:02 PM
Has the Spyder been laser aligned, partuclularly with the Rolo system. If not, get it done ASAP and you'll have a sweet ride for a long time.

scott16119
10-04-2015, 03:10 PM
I purchased a 2012 RTS this spring with 1,900 miles on it. I took my first ride and it was bad it scared the heck out of me all over the road, wind blowing me around. I figured I just need to get used to it. I finaly got up to 65 mph and thought I was going to go off the road and kill my self. Why would any one buy a spyder was beyond me. My next idea was to ride it and I would get used to it. I rode it for 1500 miles and decide I was going to get used to it, I will learn to ride this thing yet. Well after 1500 miles I purchase a 4 sale sign. Wait a minute why don't I try a Bajaron sway bar. I put the sway bar on and on a day with 30 mph winds headed down the interstate I got it up to 75mph then with only one hand on the handlebars sat back and relaxed. I also took both hands off the handle bars for a few seconds. The ride was now great. Its a keeper. What can I say.

Jim

In my opinion every older RT needs two things. The Baja Ron sway bar and a vented windshield.

robmorg
10-04-2015, 03:34 PM
In my opinion every older RT needs two things. The Baja Ron sway bar and a vented windshield.
...and the newer RT's need four things: The BajaRon sway bar, an F4 vented windshield, and one of BajaRon's shock adjusters on each front shock. :thumbup:

robmorg
10-04-2015, 03:36 PM

Jim

Jim that IS a great story. I was gonna ask you how much Ron paid you to make that post, ...but I know better. ;)

Pampurrs
10-04-2015, 03:39 PM
...and the newer RT's need four things: The BajaRon sway bar, an F4 vented windshield, and one of BajaRon's shock adjusters on each front shock. :thumbup:

I have the first two things and they are awesome. Haven't felt the need for Ron's shock adjusters though..... not to say I never would.

Pam

mrb
10-04-2015, 04:57 PM

Jim
Add Pit Bulls suspension relocators (to emulate the 2013 suspension angles) and you will find a similar improvement in handling on top of what you have already noticed with the sway bar :thumbup:

ARtraveler
10-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Happy to say that the :spyder2: is not a death machine. The twitchy complaints usually come from over-control, tire pressure issues, the need for a proper alignment, or the addition of a Baja Ron bar.

Once solved, the :ani29: will track down the road like it is on rails.

Glad you are now happy with yours.

Here is a success story thread currently running:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?86594-Dialed-in-and-Road-Worthy

ThreeWheels
10-04-2015, 06:08 PM
I'm very glad you're happy with the handling, but I'm doubtful that the sway bar alone is the solution.
Don't get me wrong, the earlier Spyders NEEDED the RonBar.
I've found that the newer Spyders can be made even better still with the RonBar.
But wandering around the highway the way you describe it sounds like an alignment problem.
Did you get your Spyder laser aligned as part of the RonBar installation ?

JimboRTS
10-05-2015, 08:54 AM
I'm very glad you're happy with the handling, but I'm doubtful that the sway bar alone is the solution.
Don't get me wrong, the earlier Spyders NEEDED the RonBar.
I've found that the newer Spyders can be made even better still with the RonBar.
But wandering around the highway the way you describe it sounds like an alignment problem.
Did you get your Spyder laser aligned as part of the RonBar installation ?

The closet dealer to do laser alignment is 320 miles. It will have to wait until spring or will look into some one in the Mesa, AZ area to do it in Jan.
Any comments on the Pit Bulls moving the shocks brackets?

Jim

BajaRon
10-05-2015, 01:59 PM
The closet dealer to do laser alignment is 320 miles. It will have to wait until spring or will look into some one in the Mesa, AZ area to do it in Jan.
Any comments on the Pit Bulls moving the shocks brackets?

Jim

In 2013 BRP redesigned the frame/suspension of the Spyder to improve handling. One of the changes they made was to stand the shocks up (more vertical, less horizontal). This effectively gives the shock/spring assembly more leverage against suspension movement. Pit Bull made a set of billet aluminum shock relocaters that move the top of the 2008-2012 shocks to the same location that BRP used on the 2013-2015 (and presumably the 2016's as well). This will improve handling using the stock shocks.

These are a worthwhile alternative to installing aftermarket shocks. The interesting thing is, Pit Bull (in conjunction with Elka I believe) came up with this relocation dimension before BRP redesigned the shock mount specs. And they both came to the same mount point.

These are not necessary if you are going to install Elka's or another high quality aftermarket shock.

fireplug98
10-05-2015, 03:12 PM

Jim

I love your little story !!! It's amazing what one little change can do.
New heavier sway bar, a must on all Spyders. That and upgraded shocks !!!

Congrats Jim !!! :-)

Tommy J.

flaggerphil
10-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Fortunately for me, I quickly learned my handling problems were cause by holding on to the bars too tightly. Riding from St Louis to the Florida Space Coast quickly cured that problem and I haven't had it since. And, while I've had the laser alignment (about a year ago) I've never had the Baja Ron sway bar installed nor have I felt a need for one.

Maybe I'm lucky and they got my 2011 right the first time.

:2thumbs: