PDA

View Full Version : New Windshield Please Help

idahospyder1
10-03-2015, 05:56 PM
I just purchased a extra wide and extra tall windshield for my 2014 RTS and although the install seemed simple I have a problem with the trim on the outside of the windshield. The trim pieces are suppose to slide in from the bottom and be tightened down with a screw inside the windshield at the top. My problem, which hopefully can been seen in the attached photos, is the trim will not go down flush with the windshield. It is especially bad at the top. I have had it apart and back together 10 or more times and the trim will not sit flush with the windshield.
Today I took a trip to the Canam dealer to look at other RT's and all of their windshields sit flush with the windshield. :banghead:

Am I missing something? http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117366&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117367&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117368&stc=1

The first photos is from the top down with me standing on the floorboards shooting the photos straight down along the outside. The other two are side profile shots on the outside.

whiteyron
10-03-2015, 06:04 PM
I just purchased a extra wide and extra tall windshield for my 2014 RTS and although the install seemed simple I have a problem with the trim on the outside of the windshield. The trim pieces are suppose to slide in from the bottom and be tightened down with a screw inside the windshield at the top. My problem, which hopefully can been seen in the attached photos, is the trim will not go down flush with the windshield. It is especially bad at the top. I have had it apart and back together 10 or more times and the trim will not sit flush with the windshield.
Today I took a trip to the Canam dealer to look at other RT's and all of their windshields sit flush with the windshield. :banghead:

Am I missing something? http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117366&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117367&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117368&stc=1

The first photos is from the top down with me standing on the floorboards shooting the photos straight down along the outside. The other two are side profile shots on the outside.

Did you maybe get the left side on the right and right on the left side?

idahospyder1
10-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Did you maybe get the left side on the right and right on the left side?

I double checked and they only go on the one way.

bmccaffrey
10-03-2015, 06:23 PM
Is there an inner and outer piece.

If so looks like a misalignment with screw :dontknow:

idahospyder1
10-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Is there an inner and outer piece.

If so looks like a misalignment with screw :dontknow:

The outside trim piece just covers two screws and is secured by a clip on the trim piece which slides up from the bottom into a hole on the bottom of the windshield. The clip slides over the windshield and the top of the trim is only attached with one screw from the inside.

SPYD3R
10-03-2015, 07:44 PM
CAN YOU RETURN IT? IT MAY BE A DEFECTIVE UNIT....

IF THAT'S OUT OF THE QUESTION, AND IF YOU ARE A RISK TAKER, GET OUT YOUR HEAT-GUN.....
WITH THE SHIELD ATTACHED, APPLY HEAT TO THE SHIELD AT THE FASTENERS LOCATION. REMEMBER TO ALWAYS KEEP THE HEAT GUN MOVING. AS THE SHIELD SOFTENS, SLOWLY TIGHTEN THE FASTENERS... GO FROM SIDE TO SIDE, TIGHTENING A LITTLE AT A TIME... KEEP THE HEAT ON FOR A MINUTE OR SO AFTER EVERYTHING IS SEATED PROPERLY... AND ALWAYS REMEMBER: KEEP THE GUN MOVING, NEVER LEAVE IT STATIONARY, OR YOU WILL CREATE BUBBLES IN THE PLASTIC...
GOOD LUCK,
DAN P
SPYD3R F3-S

Pampurrs
10-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Did you get your windshield from F4 Customs? If it's extra tall and extra wide, my guess is you did. The reason the trim pieces don't set flush on the windshield is because it is curved differently for improved aerodynamics. I asked the same question of Don at F4, and he assured me that's the case. It's actually barely noticeable on mine, and doesn't create any problems.

Pam

idahospyder1
10-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Did you get your windshield from F4 Customs? If it's extra tall and extra wide, my guess is you did. The reason the trim pieces don't set flush on the windshield is because it is curved differently for improved aerodynamics. I asked the same question of Don at F4, and he assured me that's the case. It's actually barely noticeable on mine, and doesn't create any problems.

Pam

Thanks Pam,
You guessed it. It seems pretty noticeable to me on mine but may be I am being too picky. I just did not expect to see bulging trim pieces on something this expensive. Don told me by phone this afternoon the inside gap was normal, but I did not think he had seen the outside bulging of the trim so I emailed him the additional photos. It is a little disappointing.

Mikel53
10-03-2015, 09:24 PM
I had the same issue with my F4 but have not had any problems in the performance of the windshield. My gap is about a 1/4" at the top. It only bothers me when I clean the thing and my cloth gets hung in the gap. I guess I have got used to it but it's still not "right".

Pampurrs
10-03-2015, 09:30 PM
I've had several people closely scrutinize my new windshield, and make glowing remarks about it. Not one person has commented about the gap. Yes, I wish it wasn't there, but I also realize it's a trade off for an aerodynamic windshield.

Pam

idahospyder1
10-03-2015, 10:59 PM
I've had several people closely scrutinize my new windshield, and make glowing remarks about it. Not one person has commented about the gap. Yes, I wish it wasn't there, but I also realize it's a trade off for an aerodynamic windshield.

Pam

Thanks for letting me know about yours. From the photos I posted, is mine worse or can you tell?

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-03-2015, 11:48 PM
I've got about a 1/8" gap between the windshield and trim piece on my wide & long F4 at both top and bottom ends of the trim. I've never noticed it before, maybe because I've got the base RT which has black trim pieces, not chrome.

bmccaffrey
10-04-2015, 08:05 AM
It's hard to believe they would make a product purposely with a gap.

Has anyone informed them of this.

If I paid good money would want to know why the fit wasn't right

finless
10-04-2015, 08:54 AM
Just an idea.....

Take a heat gun and from the back side of the plastic trim try to heat it up enough to possibly allow you to bend it to conform to the new curvature of the windshield. Not too much heat though as you might blister the chrome that is on the trim.

Bob

Pampurrs
10-04-2015, 09:42 AM
The gap between my F4 Customs windshield and the top of the trim is nearly imperceptible. Of course, I noticed it right away, but it doesn't stand out enough for anyone to detect it unless they're looking for it. It certainly does not degrade the style or performance in any way.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117389&stc=1

As I stated in my previous post, the gap is a result of the increased curvature and improved aerodynamics of the F4 Customs tall shield.

Pam

ingramwc
10-04-2015, 10:00 AM
If the curvature of the f4 windshield is different, seems to me the manufacturer should offer modified trim pieces that fit flush to the shield, anything less is not a quality job. My $.02!!!!

stevedfive
10-04-2015, 10:12 AM
I returned mine but had to pay a restocking fee.

idahospyder1
10-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Thanks to all for the help. Sounds like it is the norm for this shield install. The heat gun option might work but if I ever put back to stock, I have other issues. Seems like this should be disclosed up front or in the directions or videos but I may be just too picky.

F4 Customs
10-06-2015, 05:19 AM
As discussed with our customer concerning this matter we have seen this issue in the past on a few installations. It has no effect on performance however we agree that if the trim would sit down flat on the front it would be pleasing to the eye. We have committed to look into this further during the next rally at Fontana Dam were we will be installing windshields and then report back our findings.
Don Frank

robmorg
10-06-2015, 05:55 AM
Since F4 is aware of this problem, it seems obvious that the "fix" would be for them to change the mold so that the wide windshield contours correctly at the trim, while resuming the aerodynamic contour in other places. This is obviously just a defect in the design of that particular windshield that they should correct in future product. Then they should deal with existing customers individually in an appropriate manner.

I have a standard size F4 vented windshield that is beautiful and it fits just fine. They have a quality product. :thumbup: Now that this problem has come to light, I'm sure they wouldn't want to jeopardize their excellent reputation by continuing with a design that doesn't fit properly.

eddieshep999
10-06-2015, 06:22 AM
I would consider making a gasket e.g. Rubber (or other suitable material) to fill in the gap this could be trimmed to the edge of the Chrome Windshield trim.
Rubber would fill the gap and ensure the Chrome Windshield is held tight against the screen also giving extra protection against vibration of the screen against those Chrome pieces

F4 Customs
10-06-2015, 03:54 PM
After further research here is what we have found.
The stock OEM windshield is fastened to the frame by 4 screws and they go through a steel sleeve surrounded by a rubber grommet. These 4 screws are what holds the windshield tight against the frame of the RT. Once the shield is mounted in place the front trim from BRP is put back on the front of the shield to hide the screws. That trim piece has an offset on the back with a threaded insert and it is 5/16 high.When this is put through the .177 thick windshield (same thickness as the OEM) there is a difference of approx. 1/8". I would expect that BRP did not want the outside trim being used as a clamping device since it is plastic and only has one screw so they allowed this 1/8 gap for movement.
Therefore this gap is designed into the mounting from BRP. Sometimes this gap can be seen on the front were the trim sits against the shield and sometimes it is on the back between the hardware and the shield. I hope this helps clarify the issue.
F4 Customs works hard to provide the best quality product available and therefore we are always looking for ways of improvement. We will keep working on this.

KJWEB
10-06-2015, 04:05 PM
I was going to order the Tall/Wide shield with vent. But since the "gap" issue has come to light, I will wait and see what comes about.

Pampurrs
10-06-2015, 05:55 PM
I was going to order the Tall/Wide shield with vent. But since the "gap" issue has come to light, I will wait and see what comes about.

Personally, I wouldn't let that stop you. It's a great windshield, and the gap is so unoticeable it's a non-issue. JMHO.

Pam

Pampurrs
10-06-2015, 05:56 PM
I would consider making a gasket e.g. Rubber (or other suitable material) to fill in the gap this could be trimmed to the edge of the Chrome Windshield trim.
Rubber would fill the gap and ensure the Chrome Windshield is held tight against the screen also giving extra protection against vibration of the screen against those Chrome pieces

F4 provides a set of rubber washers that eliminates any vibration. I don't have any vibration on mine.

Pam

Pampurrs
10-06-2015, 05:58 PM
As discussed with our customer concerning this matter we have seen this issue in the past on a few installations. It has no effect on performance however we agree that if the trim would sit down flat on the front it would be pleasing to the eye. We have committed to look into this further during the next rally at Fontana Dam were we will be installing windshields and then report back our findings.
Don Frank

Don, I am very pleased with my F4 Customs tall and wide windshield, despite the [VERY MINOR] issue of the gap in the trim. However, if you come up with a fix, I will be happy to hear about it.

Pam

idahospyder1
10-06-2015, 07:06 PM
I have been and am out of town this week, but I wanted to post this thread was in no way to bring F4 Customs into any negative light. Don has been in touch with me and in fact contacted me today to have me try another windshield same size and model to see if it is my spyder or the windshield. I think Don is trying to get this rectified and find the solution. I posted to see if I was installing incorrectly or if the rt trim was not a correct fit in general with the stock shield. I will post the outcome, but I can only say positive things about F4 and the service level so far.

sduskin
10-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Fits perfectly, works incredibly well! Highly recommended!

rgamore
04-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Sorry Don.

I placed an order yesterday for the wide and tall for my brand new 2015 RT-S, speaking with Don
he vaguely mentioned the gap, which my mind awoke me to in my sleep. Needless to say I couldn't
go back to sleep thinking about that gap that would be right in my face. I reviewed the F4 warranty
and didn't see anything about my satisfaction being guaranteed if I didn't like the way it fit.
I emailed Don first thing in the morning about my concern, it was mutually agreed that I cancel my
order. Order Cancelled! I'm not spending $425 for a windshield not fitting like factory.

Now I'm still looking for a tall and wide windshield that fits as perfectly as the factory original.

for me "Form- Fit - Function" have to be 100% So when someone finds one that fits as factory
original, please post it here.

F4 Customs
04-07-2016, 09:32 AM
The Trim pieces are a garnishment on the front of the windshields and we agree that it would look better if the form was changed slightly to make the windshield conform better. With that said we are re working the form at this time.
Don

Tango
04-07-2016, 10:23 AM
The Trim pieces are a garnishment on the front of the windshields and we agree that it would look better if the form was changed slightly to make the windshield conform better. With that said we are re working the form at this time.
Don

Don I was going to wait to show you at Spyderfest in 3 weeks. Yes, mine has the gap also. Will what you are doing be retroactive to us who have already purchased?:dontknow: Tom :spyder: