PDA

View Full Version : Tried a Sena 20 today

Retired 2012
10-02-2015, 07:15 PM
A riding buddy showed up with two helmets with the Sena 20 system mounted in them, he gave me one to use on the ride.
WOW, the sound clarity is amazing, talking at 50 plus mph was as clear as sitting next to each other.
After he explained all that they are capable of doing I was sold. I have heard others use the cb but the sound quality isn't nearly as great as the Sena.
We stopped at Cycle gear and they wanted 494 dollar for a pair, he got his for 374 dollars on amazon so I guess I have some shopping to do.
I am looking forward to being able to talk, and listen to music and use the smart phone with a map app for directions.
This way nothing has to be added to my F3-S.

Those of you who have them know why I am so happy, if you aren't using them try to find a way to test them out and you'll be happy too.

Lastchance
10-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Yep I have the SMH10 all the same capability's just a different battery setup, and your right all the functions needed in one unit. The 10 is a little less $$ and works with the 20

WellsboroSpyder
10-02-2015, 07:40 PM
A riding buddy showed up with two helmets with the Sena 20 system mounted in them, he gave me one to use on the ride.
WOW, the sound clarity is amazing, talking at 50 plus mph was as clear as sitting next to each other.
After he explained all that they are capable of doing I was sold. I have heard others use the cb but the sound quality isn't nearly as great as the Sena.
We stopped at Cycle gear and they wanted 494 dollar for a pair, he got his for 374 dollars on amazon so I guess I have some shopping to do.
I am looking forward to being able to talk, and listen to music and use the smart phone with a map app for directions.

Those of you who have them know why I am so happy, if you aren't using them try to find a way to test them out and you'll be happy too.

We use the sena smh 10. We bought in 2012 and still have the same set. Bought from Revzilla.com. you can see video reviews on their page. The 10 doesn't have a built in fm radio but I can listen to the music on my cell phone through the headset .

YIRYDE
10-02-2015, 07:45 PM
I brought mine from Motorcycle Dave, who is one of the site's supporting vendors, http://www.motorcycledave.com/. Give him a call he has great prices.

2dogs
10-02-2015, 08:28 PM
and can't turn the volume up enough to hear the radio. I've got two 20s units and the spyder is louder than both of them. Don't know what to do now? Could both of the them be defective?

Motorcycledave
10-02-2015, 08:34 PM
If you like the 20S SENA
you will love my prices
Call me
Dave

Pirate looks at --
10-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Do you have an answer for 2dogs and the volume issue?

Motorcycledave
10-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Yes
just call it always takes to many words and time
trying to answer questions using the forum
my email or phone is much faster give me a call
209-887-3283 (tel:209-887-3283)
Dave

Do you have an answer for 2dogs and the volume issue?

ulflyer
10-03-2015, 07:50 AM

Thinking of getting one but I use only open face helmets and wonder how it would work. What type helmet were you using?

tehrlich
10-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Make sure the firmware is up to date. Today it is 1.5.

My 1.41 had voice recognition problems. 1.5 seemed to clear that up.

It still has a hard time doing two things at a time, for instance: intercom and playing music from my iPhone 5s. Intercom always works well, but the music stutters so much it isn't worth having it on.

The internal radio and intercom work really well.

PatriotRider
10-03-2015, 02:01 PM
I'm running through my head what I want sound to be on my machine. If one sees advantages in pairing some devices using wired 3.5mm inputs, below might be a consideration. I used one for years on my FJR and am more than satisfied.

http://electric-avenues.com/amplirider/

Darren111
10-03-2015, 02:52 PM
I will be ordering the Sena 10c due to the integrated camera. I purely want a intercom system for listening to music and recording footage whilst riding.

JCWeatherman
10-03-2015, 02:59 PM
I am considering a Sena system for next year. Thanks everybody for posting some valuable info.

All the best,
John

Bob S
10-03-2015, 03:41 PM
and can't turn the volume up enough to hear the radio. I've got two 20s units and the spyder is louder than both of them. Don't know what to do now? Could both of the them be defective?

Below is a method to boost the audio for the Sena 20S.
The volume normally is pretty good.
You may have a problem with your units.
You can try the Audio boost and see if it helps.

Bob S

21.5 Enabling/Disabling Audio Boost
Voice Prompt “Audio boost”
Factory Default Enable
Enable Tap the Phone Button
Disable Tap the Jog Dial
Audio Boost increases the overall maximum volume. Disabling Audio
Boost will reduce the overall maximum volume

Synthetic
10-03-2015, 09:30 PM
We purchased our dual Sena 20S's and they work great. I find myself normally turning them down because the volume is loud. Very easy to switch from intercom to phone usage. The Ambient sound setting is very nice too! Paid $380.00 for the set brand new online...

LV2RYDE
10-03-2015, 09:40 PM
We use the sena smh 10. We bought in 2012 and still have the same set. Bought from Revzilla.com. you can see video reviews on their page. The 10 doesn't have a built in fm radio but I can listen to the music on my cell phone through the headset .

I have 10, I listen to all my music, directions, and Pandora

2dogs
10-03-2015, 10:17 PM
Below is a method to boost the audio for the Sena 20S.
The volume normally is pretty good.
You may have a problem with your units.
You can try the Audio boost and see if it helps.

Bob S

21.5 Enabling/Disabling Audio Boost
Voice Prompt “Audio boost”
Factory Default Enable
Enable Tap the Phone Button
Disable Tap the Jog Dial
Audio Boost increases the overall maximum volume. Disabling Audio
Boost will reduce the overall maximum volume

Being that it's a weekend I'll just set them aside and call Sena on Monday. Then I'll try their suggestion and yours. Audio boost is just what I need. Thanks again.

Spyder 42
10-04-2015, 06:53 AM
Thinking of getting one but I use only open face helmets and wonder how it would work. What type helmet were you using?

What I appreciate about Sena is that they make different base plates. I have plates mounted for a 3/4 helmet using speakers and a full faced helmet using ear monitors.

daveinva
10-04-2015, 08:22 AM
A few thoughts:

-- Me and the GF have used SMH10s for years, love them, can't rave enough. I use for music solo, or intercom together. Can be a little tricky to pair them, but they work.

-- Bought my brother a Sena 20 last year for Christmas. He loves it, **BUT**... he can't get the firmware updated. Apparently this was a problem with some early models, they just wouldn't accept firmware updates. For some dumb reason the guy never swapped his out (even though Sena offered him the option), but since the set works, he hasn't complained.

Be aware however that pairing the 20 with the 10s, especially three-way intercom, is *even trickier* than two 10s. Just be patient, and I recommend watching one of Sena's videos (easier to follow than the book instructions).

-- LASTLY... my brother bought *me* a 10C for my birthday last month :yes:. I've put it on my helmet, but haven't used it yet (unfortunately, I couldn't find any time at all last week to ride). I'll pass along my verdict when I have it...

finless
10-04-2015, 08:50 AM
FYI, if you have the Sena SM10 media streaming device and cable so you can hear your Spyders radio in your headsets, the SM10 also has a audio boost function.

Bob