PDA

View Full Version : 13 dead in Roseburg Oregon...

wyliec
10-01-2015, 03:13 PM
shooting was at a Community College.

The shooter was taken down.

Prayers to all the families, and members of the community.

ARtraveler
10-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Listening here--as the story develops.

Thoughts and :pray::pray: go out to the victims families.

The gun control advocates are already busy.

Bob Denman
10-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families who have lost a Child, or had one wounded... :pray::pray:

Chupaca
10-01-2015, 05:09 PM
:pray::pray:'s to all those affected by this tragedy...have been following this but the facts are still coming in...:banghead:

Trbayth
10-01-2015, 08:01 PM
http://nypost.com/2015/10/01/oregon-gunman-singled-out-christians-during-rampage/

Wonder why they haven't released the shooter's name yet?

PrairieSpyder
10-01-2015, 08:26 PM
We all mourn with the families of those affected. :pray:

http://nypost.com/2015/10/01/oregon-gunman-singled-out-christians-during-rampage/

I'm wondering about that, too! I'm thinking it will raise some political discussion, but, unlike the president, I don't think this is the time to go there.

JkRbbt
10-01-2015, 09:18 PM
When would be a "good time to go there"? Sorta seems like "thoughts and prayers" aren't doing' the job. :(

MMMII
10-01-2015, 10:32 PM
How many have to die before real gun control laws are enacted? I believe in the second amendment, but at what cost? How many lives have to be lost? Remember Sandy Hook? When will this senseless slaughter stop? Will one of our children be next? Think about it.

You are so right. We should make murder illegal. We should make laws that state anyone who carries a weapon in a gun free zone should be held accountable in a court of law. We should make laws against discharging firearms within city limits.....oh wait...

Oregon Sheriff Handling Massacre Fought the White House on Gun Control After Newtown "Gun control is NOT the answer to preventing heinous crimes like school shootings."

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/10/oregon-sheriff-umpqua-massacre-white-house-gun-control-newtown

vided
10-02-2015, 05:29 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117270&stc=1

Grandpot
10-02-2015, 06:03 AM
Gun laws don't stop those that don't comply with laws.

Bob Denman
10-02-2015, 06:59 AM
Oddly enough; at least some News outlets are NOT reporting this loser's name. It seems that he was looking for "body count"; in order to make a name for himself. :banghead:

Let the :cus:r's name go un-noticed... :gaah:

wyliec
10-02-2015, 07:14 AM

It's listed in that article.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-02-2015, 07:30 AM
When would be a "good time to go there"? Sorta seems like "thoughts and prayers" aren't doing' the job. :(

I AGREE

Bob Denman
10-02-2015, 07:34 AM
This isn't a firearms issue...
I have enough of them in my basement, to probably pick up an uncomplimentary description from the news services. :shocked:
The funny thing is; none of them have ever hurt anybody...
All of the gun laws on the Planet, won't stop a criminal from doing what they do best... break the law! :banghead:
This is a criminality issue...

Orange Spyder Man
10-02-2015, 07:51 AM
How many have to die before real gun control laws are enacted? I believe in the second amendment, but at what cost? How many lives have to be lost? Remember Sandy Hook? When will this senseless slaughter stop? Will one of our children be next? Think about it.

before you condemn guns... think what this nation would be without guns... read the no-own-gun horrors in other countries that do not let citizens own guns.. guns save thousands of lives daily... our forefathers saw the need for citizen gun ownership.. if American citizens could not own guns... we would NOT be talking English nor live in a free society ........ look closely at Chicago .. its a no gun ownership city... their shooting murder crime rate is one of the highest in the country......... and in closing...have you noticed that politicians that advocate gun control.. have 24/7 armed guards ? any idea why .. it is really simple.. they fear that taxpayers will eventually realize how bad they are getting screwed and politicians fear reprisal..
and I will add... it is sad that one insane person decides to take lives of others .... at least taxpayers won't be burdened by supporting him for the rest of his natural life... .. and my thoughts & prayers go out to the family's who lost loved ones..

osm

Bob Denman
10-02-2015, 07:53 AM
:shocked: I knew that this thread was gonna get here eventually...
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117275&stc=1

Bob Denman
10-02-2015, 08:53 AM
:shocked: I'm sorry for your loss...
But to make this train-wreck even worse; we need to make the Justice System accountable, when they do not enforce the existing laws...
You can't stop all of them; but you have to use all of the arrows in your quiver, when trying! :thumbup:

Pirate looks at --
10-02-2015, 08:56 AM
:agree: Shhhhhhhhhhh.........you can't say that in here......it might get you shot:yikes:

Bob Denman
10-02-2015, 09:02 AM
Please read post #18...
Nobody is lining up the sights on anybody...
But we will defend the rights of law-abiding gun owners, and decry the massive failures in our Justice System...

murphybrown
10-02-2015, 09:55 AM
This isn't a firearms issue...
I have enough of them in my basement, to probably pick up an uncomplimentary description from the news services. :shocked:
The funny thing is; none of them have ever hurt anybody...
All of the gun laws on the Planet, won't stop a criminal from doing what they do best... break the law! :banghead:
This is a criminality issue...

Gun control is not the answer. I encourage those who feel that gun control will fix this societal problem look at the example of Chicago and their gun control laws. Some of the strictest, if not THE strictest gun control laws in our country. Crime and murder rate is also the highest. Do the research, get the facts before saying that stricter gun control is the answer.

Pirate looks at --
10-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Gun control is not the answer. I encourage those who feel that gun control will fix this societal problem look at the example of Chicago and their gun control laws. Some of the strictest, if not THE strictest gun control laws in our country. Murder rate is also the highest. Do the research, get the facts before saying that stricter gun control is the answer.
...but that's because they live in Chicago!

Bob Denman
10-02-2015, 10:04 AM
I recently heard an interesting story from a very Conservative pundit...
He said that to a Liberal; the perfect World would have:
free food
Free shelter
free medical care
free housing
equality for everyone
and only the law enforcement members would have guns...

That place already exists... :shocked:

It's called "Prison"!

Fatcycledaddy
10-02-2015, 10:25 AM
My prayers to not only the ones who were killed by the shooter, but for the shooters family also. They have also lost a son and are having to deal with the atrocities he has committed:pray:.

Have you noticed that all of the places where there are mass shootings and killings are "gun free zones"?
All of these locations have laws to prevent you from carrying a gun at that location, and if you are caught carrying, even with a permit, you are subject to losing your gun, your permit to carry, and possible jail time.
You notice that the "law abiding citizen who will follow the laws set forth will honor the laws of the gun free zones and not carry there. This means that for the Honest Citizen gun laws are followed and work.
You notice that all of the shooters ignore the laws in place of the gun free zones and carry their weapons into those areas thus ignoring the laws currently in place.
So why do you think the "gun free zones are targeted by those shooters????
Do you think that just maybe they know that they are breaking the law of the "gun free zone", the laws of discharging a firearm in the city, transporting of loaded firearms, and the laws against murder???
IN OTHER WORDS THE LAWS MEAN NOTHING TO THEM, THEY ARE BREAKING THEM ALL, THAT IS WHY MORE GUN LAWS WILL NOT WORK!!!
They choose "gun free zones" because they know that no one there will have the opportunity to stop them because no one there has a weapon to defend themselves!!!
Until someone files a lawsuit against a school with a gun free zone and can prove that they could have stopped this senseless tragedy by having a weapon to take out the shooter, this nonsensical type of tragic shooting will continue no mater how many gun laws are passed.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::ba nghead:

cuznjohn
10-02-2015, 10:38 AM
i just wrote a long post on this matter and deleted it. i own guns, and i have a temper, but i have never thought about shooting someone. it is not the guns, it's some of the people that own them.

Trbayth
10-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Sorry if I came across as a left-winger, but this is kinda personal to me. I had a family member shot to death some years ago by a nut job with an unlicensed gun. I still think of him a lot. Taking away firearms is not the answer, but I feel it should be harder for just anyone to buy one. Just my two cents worth.

I'm sorry for your loss as well. But I have to ask what additional laws would have prevented this shooting?

It's already illegal for a felon to purchase a gun.
It's already illegal for someone with diagnosed mental issues (as this shooter apparently did.)
There's already a long of list of situations that prevent people from purchasing a gun and for people that can, a long list of hoops they must jump through.

So a serious question (and not just to you): What additional laws would have prevented this shooting?

Bob Denman
10-02-2015, 11:51 AM
:shocked: Why don't we give him a pass on this one? His family has experienced all of this; FAR too closely...
Why not just get back to some kind thoughts and prayers for the bereaved? :dontknow:
:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::p ray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pra y::pray:

DJFaninTN
10-02-2015, 12:15 PM
for those wanting more gun laws or to eliminate guns all together .... we already have that. it is called gun free zones!

ever wonder why most of these shootings happen at "gun free zones?"

and yet we have 60 murders in the city of Chicago in just the month of September. good ole Chicago .... where you cannot legally own or carry a weapon. funny but the folks who want all this gun control never mention the cities of Detroit, DC and Chicago where the murder rates are the highest in the nation.

cuznjohn
10-02-2015, 01:00 PM
a FBI spokeswoman just said they recovered 13 guns belonging to him and his family. 7 at his house and 6 at the school along with extra clips and a flack jacket. ALL THE GUNS WERE BOUGHT LEGALLY. he told people to lay down, then one at a time made them stand and he asked if they were Christan, if they were they got shot in the head, if not they got shot in the leg. he was a angry person, and at that point, the family should of never let him own a gun. if they saw problems with him they should of kept a good eye on him, and not allow him to have or be near guns.

once again this proves, GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE,,,, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE

JkRbbt
10-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Sounds like, once again, we offer prayers and sympathy, and do nothing! Riddle me this, Batman! Why did congress make it illegal to even collect data on gun violence? Would that harm anyone? What about the gun show loop hole? No one is talking about taking guns away from responsible folks, but DO NOTHING? AGAIN? Ok... :sour:

Cavman
10-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Another gun free zone. Even the campus cops don't carry guns. The Sherriff still supports the 2nd Admendment for the citizens of that county.

PatriotRider
10-02-2015, 02:06 PM
my police officer friends and I strongly believe this is a MENTAL HEALTH issue. I suffer with bipolar and know what it is to be outside reality and currently are stable (not employable unfortunately) because of two caring psychiatrists, effective meds, and a supportive family.

police report that the lack of mental health care and the unavailability of such is overwhelming. I agree.

and the bottom of the barrel is such in our health care system and priorities.

with what I've gone through and experienced and suffered, I can put myself in as dark a place, a desparate place, a very sick and maybe evil place

my prayers for the fallen, their familys, and all involved including the situation as a whole.

Bob Denman
10-02-2015, 02:10 PM
:shocked: Stay strong; my friend... You will always have folks around you, who love and care for you. :thumbup:

GOZFST
10-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Sounds like, once again, we offer prayers and sympathy, and do nothing! Riddle me this, Batman! Why did congress make it illegal to even collect data on gun violence? Would that harm anyone? What about the gun show loop hole? No one is talking about taking guns away from responsible folks, but DO NOTHING? AGAIN? Ok... :sour:
Have any facts to back that up, it's simply not true. How about this, over 2 MILLION people have been denied purchasing guns by the 4473 form of background check because of mental illness or felony records, yet not one of them has been detained or questioned. Over 100 people were shot in Chicago during a 2 week period recently, who has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country?

Bob Denman
10-02-2015, 02:57 PM
:shocked: And the train wreck is back... :banghead:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117293&stc=1

ARtraveler
10-02-2015, 02:58 PM
I usually do not get into any discussion over guns.

I totally agree with those who say that it is not the guns, but some of the people who own guns, that kill others. The best laws in the world will not stop these nut cases from doing their carnage. They are going to do it--regardless.

My fear, is trying to make laws that end up confiscating guns from everyone, is not the answer to making the country safe from the nut cases. The nut cases are still going to do what they intend to do. Laws or not.

Chicago is a great example. A supposedly no gun city and over 50 people shot just last week. :yikes:

I have tried to make this non-political and left out names--so I hope it flies. :bowdown:

Trbayth
10-02-2015, 04:01 PM
:shocked: And the train wreck is back... :banghead:

People feel strongly about this issue.

Bob Denman
10-02-2015, 05:04 PM
I do understand that...
But when you line the gun-grabbers up on one side of the court; looking for an excuse to scream at the top of their lungs...

And have the gun-owners on the other side; yelling just as loudly...

...Nobody can hear the messages of prayer and sympathy, for the fallen. :shocked:

Besides; when it gets too loud from all of the screaming, Lamont will have to delete the thread... :banghead:

Cavman
10-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Naish has been saying this for years about the drug problems and shooters. Beware there is a sales pitch at the end of the article. They do have good training.

http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight.com/2015/10/02/if-*****-truly-wants-to-stop-the-massacres-he-needs-to-sign-this-executive-order/

PatriotRider
10-02-2015, 06:43 PM
http://markmanson.net/school-shootings

Orange Spyder Man
10-02-2015, 07:46 PM

I am curious, in lieu of NOTHING what do you recommend ?

osm

WellsboroSpyder
10-02-2015, 07:53 PM
Just my thoughts. It's very heartbreaking that this has happened. But I don't feel this is the place to discuss it. After all its is called Spyderlovers.com. This is what these people want...to talked about. Just my thoughts guys and happy riding.

wyliec
10-02-2015, 08:07 PM
This is the Off Topic Forum; this is where it belongs.

WellsboroSpyder
10-02-2015, 08:19 PM
I guess I thought face book was more suited. I assumed people came here to learn about spyders or share a wonderful ride or event with their....spyder. I guess I'll never understand social media. Life was easier when the wives gossiped across the picket fence while borrowing a cup of sugar. Lol

Pirate looks at --
10-02-2015, 08:29 PM
I will say this, I love the fact that the county Sheriff will not speak the name of the nut who did this, and I think the media should go along with that. I really think for these whacked out sorts that have no life, this type of act makes them believe they will be remembered forever. This makes it look like a great idea as a way to go out with a blaze of glory for the next bozo that feels like life has cheated him out of the American Dream and a girlfriend. They should all be referred as John Doe #1,#2 etc. let's stop making these people famous!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Pirate looks at --
10-02-2015, 08:30 PM
PS. There is no doubt that guns didn't kill these people the nut job did!

Cavman
10-03-2015, 12:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=663&v=UhO0Pul_FcE

JkRbbt
10-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Have any facts to back that up, it's simply not true. How about this, over 2 MILLION people have been denied purchasing guns by the 4473 form of background check because of mental illness or felony records, yet not one of them has been detained or questioned. Over 100 people were shot in Chicago during a 2 week period recently, who has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country?

I apologize. It was not made illegal. Congress just set spending for data collection at $ZERO$ after a year where they had spent $2.6 million trying to figure out a solution. You will never guess who was behind that proposal. Start with Rep. Jay Dickey in 1996 if you want particulars, but I doubt you do. In the mean time, I supposes we could arm entire neighborhoods in Chicago and see how that turns out. Any guesses? :rolleyes:

john.bernick
10-04-2015, 01:50 AM
29 killed in a knife attack in China yesterday. Must have been assault knives.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

PrairieSpyder
10-04-2015, 07:54 AM
29 killed in a knife attack in China yesterday. Must have been assault knives.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

:welcome: Are you currently a Spyder owner. How about starting a thread and tell us about yourself!

CSI
10-04-2015, 08:42 AM
:welcome: Are you currently a Spyder owner. How about starting a thread and tell us about yourself!

Yes. Well, the wife is .....I have an FJR.

I only commented here, as this thread popped up on my Tapatalk feed, and I felt it necessary to post up the fact that it does not take a gun to commit a mass murder.

Will the anti-gun crowd now call for a ban on knives? ;)

JkRbbt
10-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Do they have several knife "mass murders" per month/year? Has it become an epidemic? :dontknow:

CSI
10-05-2015, 05:56 AM
Do they have several knife "mass murders" per month/year? Has it become an epidemic? :dontknow:

Don't know.....

Do we have several mass murders per month/year, or is that phrase nothing more than a talking point?

http://timelines.latimes.com/deadliest-shooting-rampages/

AY4B
10-05-2015, 09:28 AM
How many of these shootings occur where there is legal Concealed carry on site? True you can do little about how may bad guys have guns, but you can give them a deterrent to use them by giving the good guys the right to defend themselves and carry.

wyliec
10-05-2015, 10:09 AM
How many of these shootings occur where there is legal Concealed carry on site? True you can do little about how may bad guys have guns, but you can give them a deterrent to use them by giving the good guys the right to defend themselves and carry.

Do you actually think some nut job, intent on killing, is even thinking that he is in concealed carry country? Do you also think that all good guys/gals who have the right to carry, do carry?

Bob Denman
10-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Hi Wylie,
That's a good question... :thumbup:
And over the years; studies have shown that criminals DO try and find things like this out...
They don't want to walk into a firefight any more than anyone else. nojoke
As far as carrying; a smart person, won't tell you! :D
The reason: if you know who's carrying, and you're intent on causing harm: you first target the one's who are in the position to stop you! nojokenojoke

AY4B
10-05-2015, 02:14 PM
Do you actually think some nut job, intent on killing, is even thinking that he is in concealed carry country? Do you also think that all good guys/gals who have the right to carry, do carry?

Yes, they plan their attack in detail far in advance. Second question, More and more do. most of the people I know have a permit, whether they use it is another question, I dont always do only when I feel I need to. That school did not even allow security to carry.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-06-2015, 07:26 AM

i agree, young children & college students should have legal carry permits

Bob Denman
10-06-2015, 07:34 AM
i agree, young children & college stupids should have legal carry permits
:wrong::crackpipe::D

Pirate looks at --
10-06-2015, 09:16 AM
.........that was a typo!:lecturef_smilie:

wyliec
10-06-2015, 12:40 PM
.........that was a typo!:lecturef_smilie:

Maybe it was sarcasm.

GOZFST
10-06-2015, 01:42 PM
According to the latest gov statistics gun ownership is up 63% since 1993 and gun homicides are down 49% Mass shootings as tragic as they are represent less than 1/2 of 1% of all murders.

MMMII
10-06-2015, 04:12 PM
According to the latest gov statistics gun ownership is up 63% since 1993 and gun homicides are down 49% Mass shootings as tragic as they are represent less than 1/2 of 1% of all murders.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117493&stc=1

Bob Denman
10-06-2015, 05:57 PM
:shocked: I don't think that he'd ever say that... :shocked:
:D

MMMII
10-06-2015, 07:12 PM
:shocked: I don't think that he'd ever say that... :shocked:
:D

That's what makes it funny!

Bob Denman
10-07-2015, 07:06 AM
:roflblack: Of course; you are 100% correct!! :clap: :thumbup:

BajaRon
10-07-2015, 10:40 AM
I'm sorry for your loss as well. But I have to ask what additional laws would have prevented this shooting?

It's already illegal for a felon to purchase a gun.
It's already illegal for someone with diagnosed mental issues (as this shooter apparently did.)
There's already a long of list of situations that prevent people from purchasing a gun and for people that can, a long list of hoops they must jump through.

So a serious question (and not just to you): What additional laws would have prevented this shooting?

It is very simple. Just make it illegal to do anything illegal! Problem solved! It's working perfectly with illegal immigration. Why not apply the same, super effective process to gun violence! Certainly we have more than enough evidence to prove that government intervention is the best answer to a problem that has existed since Cain killed his brother Able. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-07-2015, 10:44 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117544&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117544&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117544&stc=1