PDA

View Full Version : let me take it for a spin!

Thundercat
10-01-2015, 12:09 PM
How many times do you here this a week? I can't ever remember someone asking to take my car for a spin around the block. It seems like everyone ask to take the spyder for a spin and what do I hear, "I know how to ride". Then get mad when you tell them no.

Bob Denman
10-01-2015, 12:14 PM
:D I always mention something about it being too bad, that they didn't bring a helmet with them... :thumbup:

beadaholic
10-01-2015, 12:18 PM
I use the helmet excuse, it works. Unless they know I have an helmet for people who I let be a passenger with me (not very often), but a guy that is after me here wanted me to take him for a ride (I am avoiding him for this reason) and I told him you don't have a helmet. He de-inflated real fast! :roflblack:, too funny! The look on his face was classic.

chuck gross
10-01-2015, 12:18 PM
these are expensive machines not some cheap dirt bike that has already been beat to death
no different than asking to ride a guys brand new Harley or gold wing the answer will always be NO

HIspyder
10-01-2015, 01:06 PM
I tell all that ask the same thing.

Put $25K cash in a brief case and I'll hold onto it while you ride. No takers yet. nojoke

vided
10-01-2015, 01:15 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117237&stc=1

ARtraveler
10-01-2015, 01:20 PM
The reply depends on my mood of the moment.

It usually ranges from my insurance will not allow drivers other than myself to just saying--sorry, I don't do that. This is a $30K machine and to much responsibility to hand out to someone I just met.

I do point them to the dealer that will allow test rides. A few have actually shown up there.

Bob Denman
10-01-2015, 01:36 PM
I have let several friends (with more riding experience than me!), take my RTs for rides.
It requires the typical explanation about shifting, steering and braking, but they all ride ATVs and snowmobiles also; it's an easy lesson for them!
They each have come back quite impressed by the bikes. :2thumbs:

Dragonfly
10-01-2015, 02:09 PM
The truth, My insurance Company "Riders" only covers people in household.

Bob Denman
10-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Different States have different rules...
in New York any operator of a vehicle is covered; as long as they have the permission of the named insured to operate it.

latony007
10-01-2015, 02:23 PM
i have never had a stranger or some random friends say can i ride it. They must know me better than to even ask because i would assuredly say no and i bought mine used and only paid 7k :). My brother and one of his kids i will let use it whenever they are around but they also have one so its no biggie.

garb55
10-01-2015, 02:47 PM
In 2008 I let friends ride my GS [It was the only one on the road in the LA area for about 8 months]
Not going into details because it is too long
But a friend who is 24 years old [at that time] and is a fireman wanted to ride it so I gave him a helmet [thank god]
He ended up hitting a curb head on at about 50 miles and hour and caught the nose of the Spyder and it flipped head over heels
He only got a little road rash
Spyder was totaled
So my answer to anyone now is HELL NO
I replaced the Spyder right away with a new one exactly like the totaled one
The reason I say no now is not because of the bike but because I saw him flying threw the air and thought he was dead
Never again

Grandpot
10-01-2015, 02:52 PM
If they want to borrow your helmet also, just tell them you are recently getting over a case of head lice. That should do it! :firstplace:

rjs
10-01-2015, 02:56 PM
Beadaholic I would not be surprised if your gentelman shows up with a bag carriyng a helmet next time:):):) Your post are always a GREAT read
Ric

pegasus1300
10-01-2015, 04:09 PM
When I bought my Spyder the man I bought it from said I would never be able to park it or gas it up without someone asking me about it or talking to me about it. In three months of ownership I can count on the fingers of one hand and have fingers left over the number of people who have wanted to talk to me about the Spyder and no one has ever asked to ride it.:dontknow:

Chupaca
10-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Have never had a problem just saying no...it is not the same as a motorcycle, bicycle, trike, side car or car...:lecturef_smilie:

gkamer
10-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Are there actually people who are so bold and so arrogant that they will think a total stranger will toss them the keys to their Spyder and say "Sure, knock yourself out. I'll wait right here for you to come back". Things must have changed over the years from back in the day because as today, I would never think to ask someone something like that.

TommyBwell
10-01-2015, 09:09 PM
I think this pretty much covers it.

kngfsh27
10-01-2015, 10:07 PM
I just stare at them and don't say anything back. No one has ever asked twice. Years ago my financial adviser told me that letting anyone ride my motorcycle would be an extremely bad decision on my part.

vided
10-02-2015, 05:27 AM
When I bought my Spyder the man I bought it from said I would never be able to park it or gas it up without someone asking me about it or talking to me about it. In three months of ownership I can count on the fingers of one hand and have fingers left over the number of people who have wanted to talk to me about the Spyder and no one has ever asked to ride it.:dontknow:

:agree::agree: Hardly ever get get the questions,

Bob Denman
10-02-2015, 06:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=i05ccn6rR-I

2ndChildhood
10-02-2015, 07:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=i05ccn6rR-I

Where do you come up with all these videos? You are the most entertaining person on this site. I love it keep it up.

ToM
Life is Great
Be Safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Orange Spyder Man
10-02-2015, 07:37 AM
I would simply tell them.. "don't ask me to take my bike for a spin... and I won't ask you to take your wife for a spin" .. watch for their facial expression !!:yikes:

osm

Bob Denman
10-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Where do you come up with all these videos? You are the most entertaining person on this site. I love it keep it up.
ToM

It's just proof that I have too much time on my hands... :D

WEB-WVR
10-02-2015, 12:23 PM
That will NEVER happen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yikes::hun::mad:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-02-2015, 12:51 PM
DO what i have done, let them try starting it first

Bob Denman
10-02-2015, 01:09 PM
DO what i have done, let them try starting it first
That's not a bad idea! :clap: :thumbup:
To the uninitiated; it probably looks a lot like this!
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117283&stc=1

Buggy
10-02-2015, 01:55 PM
That's not a bad idea! :clap: :thumbup:
To the uninitiated; it probably looks a lot like this!
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117283&stc=1
Ya but the prolly starts faster!:joke:

LeClaireRog
10-02-2015, 01:58 PM
My next door neighbor rode mine before I did. ha It's all good.

gorchris1
10-02-2015, 02:25 PM
How's this one. "How would it look if I let you take it for a spin when I don't let my wife"?

Vt. Rider
10-04-2015, 07:25 AM
YEAH, SURE !!
Here's my helmet and the keys. Oh, and by the way, here, take my wallet too.

NOT!!

PistonBlown
10-04-2015, 06:36 PM
In NZ have a special way of answering these types of questions:

"Yeah, Nah" while shaking head.

In this instance means: Yes I understand what you're asking, No you're not.

If they persist saying it will be fine etc then the reply would be:

"Yeah right", with an upward nod of the head.

In this instance means: I don't believe you and it's not going to happen.

hecoon
10-04-2015, 06:39 PM
I say "I don't ride your wife, you don't ride my bike case closed

flaggerphil
10-05-2015, 01:14 AM
In all my years of riding I've never had someone I don't know ask me if they could ride my bike.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-05-2015, 07:43 AM
I say "I don't ride your wife, you don't ride my bike case closed

Actually if i said that i would be more polite, can i ride your wife while you rid my bike