PDA

View Full Version : Gloves - How long should they last

beadaholic
09-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Hi everyone! This might sound dumb. I bought recently a pair of gloves, they have leather palms and are cloth on the outside. I bought them because of reviews and also because someone crashed with them and they did a good job. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-and-strength-womens-throttle-body-gloves these are them. I don't want to say anything if I am off base here. Anyway, my motorcycle has 3000 miles on it, I believe I got these when the bike had about 1000, so I have used these for about 2000 miles (give or take). The palms are high quality, the knuckle protector is really pretty good too, but what it cheap about these is the material on the back (I think). The hole in them is at the edge where the leather meets with the fabric. And in more than one place. I liked these because I have pretty big mitts. I use a Large and could probably use an XL even, but these stretched out a tad and fit me perfectly. Anyway, just curious to how long something like this is supposed to last. I feel they should last longer, I am not particularly hard on things. I have a new pair (another brand) on its way here to me, just for variety, so I will be covered either way. I bought these on 6/16/15.

Bob Denman
09-30-2015, 01:19 PM
I normally will use a pair of gloves for about six or seven years...
In fact; I just replaced my Joe Rocket gloves, with a new Deerskin pair. :thumbup:
(Soft AND supple! :D)

ARtraveler
09-30-2015, 01:25 PM
Gloves usually last me about five seasons or more. I usually get tired of them before they wear out. Have only had one pair that actually deteriorated (the stitching came undone) and I gave them a toss.

Most of mine have been in the $50 to $100 range. I added a $30 pair of Carhart deerskin/textile for warm weather riding. The jury is still out on them.

hecoon
09-30-2015, 03:21 PM
I use goat skin gloves from harbor freight $6.oo wearem a year and buy another pair.

last pair I had lasted for 3 years

TommyBwell
09-30-2015, 03:40 PM
I have the Aerostitch elk skin ropers. I have had them fifteen years but they only have about ten years of use on them. Should last at least another ten.

Chupaca
09-30-2015, 04:47 PM
many kinds but a good quality glove should last 5-10 years. I am especially hard on them and have to repair them but the current ones are going on four years 30,000 miles on the spyder and are looking quite shabby...with all the fine leather works down your way you should be able to get some nice custom gloves that will last forever...:thumbup:

beadaholic
09-30-2015, 04:54 PM
So I contacted Revzilla....they are GREAT! This is what they have said so far, I will keep everyone informed:

Hi Laura & The Girls,
We are terribly sorry to hear about your Speed and Strength gloves!
Would you be able to send us some photos of the problem/damaged area? We can then determine the appropriate resolution.
If you have any other concerns please let us know.
We look forward to your response!
Rania

I sent these pictures....

Lew L
09-30-2015, 06:36 PM
Many years. 5 to 8 years, The leather ones get treated with leather loving chemicals once or twice a year as does my leather jacket which is about 15 years old.

Kaos

3 Wheel Rider
09-30-2015, 06:47 PM
I use Cortech for my summer gloves and I usually get about 2 years before they are worn through. My fall and winter gloves (Tour Master) last >5 years.

Mazo EMS2
09-30-2015, 07:11 PM
I've been wearing my current pair for about 5 yrs now. If I had to put a miles number on em, I'd guess around 30K. They're all leather, and mesh. I really like em. They're fading on the backs due to the sunshine....LOL. I have a new pair that I don't like as much, but they're also for cooler weather. I'd say you have a pretty low quality glove if they're only a few months old. Bummer.

kngfsh27
09-30-2015, 07:14 PM
I have a pair of leather gauntlet gloves with 4 years on them and still going. For cold weather I have a pair of Army cold weather dress gloves that are over 25 years old. I also wear them for everyday use though the winter. Sometimes the lowest bid works out.

Buggy
09-30-2015, 08:31 PM
They last until I lose them when they fall out of side bag when it opens going down the street.

Ben Burped
09-30-2015, 09:08 PM
I normally will use a pair of gloves for about six or seven years...
In fact; I just replaced my Joe Rocket gloves, with a new Deerskin pair. :thumbup:
(Soft AND supple! :D)

Bob, do you have a "Joe Rocket" cape to wear with the gloves ? "Joe Rocket" pajamas to wear with the lovely wife ? "Joe Rocket" undies ? Just playing. Don't everybody freak out. Does "Godzilla" wear his "Joe Rockets" ?

Crisis
09-30-2015, 09:15 PM
Seriously?

Ben Burped
09-30-2015, 09:54 PM
Seriously?

Not serious ! Just playful and meant to give a smile. Lighten up.

AbNormy
10-01-2015, 03:35 AM
New enough.com usually has last years cheap I wear mesh gloves almost year round the firstgear hold up several season's. Winter gloves Ive had over 10 year

Norm H Austin Tx

Bob L
10-01-2015, 04:42 AM
Early in my riding time I would buy cheap gloves -- lasted about a year. Then I bought some Lee Parks gloves http://www.leeparksdesign.com/ and have now had them for about 7 seasons and still going strong. They are super comfortable -- although expensive ($100-135 depending on style). But they do last.

The recommendation is don't cheap out on gloves, buy a good quality pair, even though it sounds expensive, and they will last.

Bob

PistonBlown
10-01-2015, 04:43 AM
Like most people here I would expect my gloves to last several years. The normal reason I've replaced mine is because the linings gone or the are generally tatty looking but I've never had a seam pop like that. Even the ones I've been wearing when I've had an accident were in better shape than that.

Hopefully Revzilla will do the right thing here.

Bob Denman
10-01-2015, 07:01 AM
So I contacted Revzilla....they are GREAT! This is what they have said so far, I will keep everyone informed:

Hi Laura & The Girls,
We are terribly sorry to hear about your Speed and Strength gloves!
Would you be able to send us some photos of the problem/damaged area? We can then determine the appropriate resolution.
If you have any other concerns please let us know.
We look forward to your response!
Rania

:D This is good news! :yes: They are working with you to resolve the problem!! :clap:
Good Luck; please let us know what happens next... :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-01-2015, 07:02 AM
Bob, do you have a "Joe Rocket" cape to wear with the gloves ? "Joe Rocket" pajamas to wear with the lovely wife ? "Joe Rocket" undies ? Just playing. Don't everybody freak out. Does "Godzilla" wear his "Joe Rockets" ?

:shocked: No cape... around me; it looks like a garbage bag! :roflblack:

beadaholic
10-01-2015, 08:26 AM
They last until I lose them when they fall out of side bag when it opens going down the street.

More than once I have had this happen, but I have always noticed right away and went back for them, being I have 3 pit bulls well if they found them they would be totally gone! haha, nope, gotta keep my mitts on my gloves, have learned to be more careful!

beadaholic
10-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Early in my riding time I would buy cheap gloves -- lasted about a year. Then I bought some Lee Parks gloves http://www.leeparksdesign.com/ and have now had them for about 7 seasons and still going strong. They are super comfortable -- although expensive ($100-135 depending on style). But they do last.

The recommendation is don't cheap out on gloves, buy a good quality pair, even though it sounds expensive, and they will last.

Bob

These are rather cheap, yes, and women have a bit of a harder time I think finding good quality mesh, summer riding quality gloves that also have the finger thing so I can use the cell phone. I haven't found those yet, it is really hot here all the time, and even when cool (like now, been raining now for 4 days straight) they are warm enough being I have the warmers on the handle bars. But I DO have a hard time, I have a pair of Can-Am women's gloves, and a pair of Cortech's coming in today (whoo hooo so excited about this FedEx shipment to me, I buy stuff and it is collected in Texas then the guy brings them through the border and then deposits it all into FedEx, even food items this time! Whoo hoo! haha, going to be really fun to get these 3 boxes this time around. Got new pants, jacket, gloves, visor, shirts) Anyway, hopefully the Cortech will work with my cell phone. It is just harder on women in general in that regard. These is just less available to us.

beadaholic
10-01-2015, 08:38 AM
New enough.com usually has last years cheap I wear mesh gloves almost year round the firstgear hold up several season's. Winter gloves Ive had over 10 year

Norm H Austin Tx

Tried to go here and it says it doesn't exist?

AbNormy
10-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Motorcyclegear.com now

Norm H Austin Tx

beadaholic
10-01-2015, 10:54 AM
This is the response I got from Revzilla, I feel like it is a lame one, let me know what you guys think about it.

Hi Laura,
Thanks for the additional pictures and information! The separation at the thumb of the right glove seems to be a valid warranty issue. The other issues that you have documented would just be wear and tear, but the one valid issue makes them eligible for a warranty return.
However, you would be responsible for the return shipping costs. The question for you would be if the low value of gloves would justify paying to ship them back. If you would like to hold on to them, I would be happy to get you a 10% discount on an alternate pair. In all honesty, you often get what you pay for with riding gear, and $40 don't usually cut it for long.
Let me know how you would like to proceed and I would be happy to help you out!
-Eric

I really don't know how I feel about this, from here (Mexico) he obviously knows it would be expensive for me to ship it to him, and he has me by the *^&&s so to say. I have mixed feelings, 10% is not much of anything really, $3.99. :banghead:

beadaholic
10-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Another point would be "should they be selling gloves that last less than 3 months?" I think not, if they are poor quality and they know it, shouldn't they not sell them? It is still my hard earned money. :(

beadaholic
10-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Anyone? Or am I a thread killer? :yikes:

ARtraveler
10-01-2015, 01:32 PM
This is the response I got from Revzilla, I feel like it is a lame one, let me know what you guys think about it.

Hi Laura,
Thanks for the additional pictures and information! The separation at the thumb of the right glove seems to be a valid warranty issue. The other issues that you have documented would just be wear and tear, but the one valid issue makes them eligible for a warranty return.
However, you would be responsible for the return shipping costs. The question for you would be if the low value of gloves would justify paying to ship them back. If you would like to hold on to them, I would be happy to get you a 10% discount on an alternate pair. In all honesty, you often get what you pay for with riding gear, and $40 don't usually cut it for long.
-Eric

I really don't know how I feel about this, from here (Mexico) he obviously knows it would be expensive for me to ship it to him, and he has me by the *^&&s so to say. I have mixed feelings, 10% is not much of anything really, $3.99. :banghead:

I think they treated you well as a customer. Gloves have never been an issue and you can see that most gloves do last more than one driving season. Your scenario played out a bit different.

The company has a pretty good reputation. I do agree with the 10% allowance--and I would take it. I read it as 10% off of what you decide on. It you get a top line pair--10% off is not bad.

You get what you pay for is true in a lot of things. Overall, I would say Revzilla gave you a positive response.

PistonBlown
10-01-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm not impressed with that response not so much because of the 10%/refund issue but the way those have failed suggests they would have never withstood an accident so not fit for purpose in the first place. So I just wonder about a retailer that sells crap like this and then says - well they are cheap crap so what do you expect. Would they give the same response to someone in hospital needing plastic surgery because their gloves had disintegrated in an accident?

Unfortunately I think it will just be a case of chalking it up to experience. You can't go cheap with motorcycle clothing as too much depends on it.

Ben Burped
10-01-2015, 08:45 PM

Hi Laura,
-Eric

On a personal note, I would indeed send them back with a less than subtle suggestion that he polish them up, turn them sideways, and insert them rectally. Then post his response right here on SL for the world to see.

Ben Burped
10-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Anyone? Or am I a thread killer? :yikes:

Unless it's oil or tires, threads tend to die quickly. It's not you. I've killed many a thread. Don't take it personally.

beadaholic
10-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Ha! Thanks I really didn't feel very warm and fuzzy with his respnse. I appreciate this being others defended Revzilla. I felt they just were poor overall. I am pretty careful here being I just can't pop into a store. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

daveinva
10-01-2015, 08:59 PM
Count me in the "reasonable customer service" camp. They're a (good, IME) retailer, not the manufacturer-- Revzilla offers a complete range of products at low to very high prices, but at some point it's caveat emptor, particularly for a worn item that's ultimately the manufacturer's responsibility to address. Speed and Strength has a reputation (deserved, IMHO) as a "budget" product line-- you can luck out with them, but you can also not.

I'm personally in the same "you get what you pay for" camp. I admit it makes me a gear snob-- with passing seasons l've been slowly migrating from First Gear and Olympia to a growing stock of Rev'it and Dainese in the closet. But having shopped a lot of riding gear in the past few years, the difference in quality, comfort, and protection gets pretty dramatic the more you scale up, particularly at the left-hand side of the curve, e.g. $100 is better than $40 for technical riding gloves, but you'll see diminishing returns above that.

Anyway... I'd try the manufacturer if you're still unhappy... worst they can say is no. :dontknow: Good luck!

beadaholic
10-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Thanķs again!

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Roadster Renovations
10-02-2015, 02:14 PM
I am on the second season for my gloves. They are fingerless and have gel inserts. They are very comfortable to wear now. They actually pretty much stay in the riding position now. Putting them on is like shaking hands with a good old friend. We sell them for about $20.

Bob Denman
10-02-2015, 02:21 PM
:shocked: Fingerless gloves... :shocked:
While fully realizing that everybody has the right to their own choices; have you ever had a bee commit suicide on your knuckles at 60 mph? :yikes:
But the gel inserts do intrigue me; are they offered in a "fingerful" version?

AbNormy
10-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Firstgear sedonas or summer gloves under $20 usually last me at least 3 years

Norm H Austin Tx

ARtraveler
10-02-2015, 03:21 PM
While fully realizing that everybody has the right to their own choices; have you ever had a bee commit suicide on your knuckles at 60 mph? :yikes:

Any flavor gloves can be had with gel. Nice on those long rides. They absorb road vibration. I have both fingerless (my 70 degrees plus gloves) and fingered with gel.

pegasus1300
10-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Firstgear sedonas or summer gloves under $20 usually last me at least 3 years

Norm H Austin Tx
they seem to not be made any more.Everyone shows them out of stock

beadaholic
10-02-2015, 03:31 PM
I got my cortech gloves yesterday and these fit me nicer, but I feel they are even more cheaply made! There is no knuckle protection which sorta surprised me, you can't compare the knuckle protectors that are on theh Speed and Strength which were massive and seemed well done to me with what is on the Cortech. But at least I have some gloves. I am in very hot weather so I am looking for cool gloves, not winter ones, I don't mind spending more, but being there is nothing feminine out there motorcycle wise for us women at least the color of gloves, helmets help a tad, this may be not important, but I like being a girl. I wish there was more choice.

ARtraveler
10-02-2015, 03:33 PM
I got my cortech gloves yesterday and these fit me nicer, but I feel they are even more cheaply made! There is no knuckle protection which sorta surprised me, you can't compare the knuckle protectors that are on theh Speed and Strength which were massive and seemed well done to me with what is on the Cortech. But at least I have some gloves. I am in very hot weather so I am looking for cool gloves, not winter ones, I don't mind spending more, but being there is nothing feminine out there motorcycle wise for us women at least the color of gloves, helmets help a tad, this may be not important, but I like being a girl. I wish there was more choice.

One of my sets of fingerless had red flames on them. About 6 seasons old--so I have no idea where I got them. Try my favorite go to place. Motorcycle Superstore. Most of the finds I like are found perusing the "cruiser" gear.

Roadster Renovations
10-02-2015, 05:33 PM

I think we do, Bob. Only yellow though. June bugs hurt more than Bees to me. Don't hurt my hands much. Now getting hit in the face does really sting!

I'll check tomorrow......They are about $25 with shipping.

Fat Baxter
10-02-2015, 08:54 PM
I get my gloves at either Tractor Supply Company or Bass Pro. Go to the work gloves section and root around for their unlined deerskin gloves. $30 at either place. Last for years. Natural yellow-tan, cooler in hot weather than black gloves.

Currently on sale at Tractor Supply for $16 (http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/west-chester-men-rsquos-grain-deerskin-leather-driver-gloves?cm_vc=-10005). They have women's selection (http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/west-chester-ladies-grain-deerskin-leather-driver-gloves?cm_vc=-10005) too.

Yeah, I'm cheap........

OkieDoc
10-02-2015, 10:15 PM
I've used a pair of Mechanix Wear M-Pact3 for a year now and really like how they feel.
http://www.mechanix.com/tactical/m-pact-3
(http://www.mechanix.com/tactical/m-pact-3)
I found mine on Amazon for about $30

tehrlich
10-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Revzilla is awesome. I've spent thousands of dollars with them and will continue to do so. I think their response on these gloves is relative to the cost of the gloves. They didn't have to do anything actually.

They have a phenomenal return policy, and back it up. I don't think I've dealt with any online shopping experience that promotes and does what they do.

PatriotRider
10-03-2015, 12:27 PM
my favorite warm weather glove is
FirstGear MeshTex Generation 1's

the later Gen 2's had a different knuckle design that felt tighter on my hand that I disliked

at that point, I purchased 3 more sets of the gen 1's knowing they would soon be gone...I was getting a couple of years use out of each pair plus I made an effort to repair them as needed

very comfortable for my hands and a good amount of protection

the newest version look like they are an improved design, though

my favorite supplier of gear for many reasons is Texas's www.motorcyclegear.com (http://www.motorcyclegear.com) , previously newenough.com

trikermutha
10-03-2015, 02:31 PM
I have had gloves for 20 plus years..And are still in use..I always like a good quality leather glove or slightly cooler weather a good deer skin glove.. Gauntlet gloves for real cold riding

Recently bought a pair of heated gloves but now that the spyder has heated grips I ditched the heated gloves for now..

Bob Denman
10-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Question: There's no doubt that keeping your gloves dry, helps them to keep looking good, and last longer... :thumbup:
I've never tried to "resuscitate" a pair that had gotten wet; any suggestions for this? :dontknow:

ARtraveler
10-03-2015, 06:34 PM
A little lexol conditioner on the gloves (smooth leather--not suede). Take em for a ride and wear em. That will take the stiffness out of them.

asp125
10-03-2015, 08:57 PM
You have a problem in that any "summer weight" glove made out of mesh or textile is going to fail at its weakest point; that being the fabric / leather stitch line. Textile gloves are a "one crash" glove, or a throwaway glove if it starts to unravel. For me, it's perforated leather gloves with armor even in the hottest days. Then again I don't suffer from sweaty palms like some other riders. I've run through textile gloves in as little as one season, and have had leather ones last as much as 5 seasons. Unfortunately it's most often a "you get what you pay for" deal with most motorcycle gear.

Ben Burped
10-03-2015, 10:38 PM
I've used a pair of Mechanix Wear M-Pact3 for a year now and really like how they feel.
http://www.mechanix.com/tactical/m-pact-3
(http://www.mechanix.com/tactical/m-pact-3)
I found mine on Amazon for about $30

This is what I wear and find extremely comfortable. They have excellent tactile feeling. Plus they're not too hot or too cold. They're just right.

flaggerphil
10-05-2015, 01:09 AM
Personally, I wouldn't buy any Speed and Strength gear, but that's just me.

I wear Tourmaster Cruiser 2 gloves and my current pair have lasted over five years and they're still going strong. For cooler weather I wear Olympia gloves (can't remember the model) and they've lasted just as long.

PatriotRider
10-05-2015, 01:38 AM
my favorite warm weather glove is
FirstGear MeshTex Generation 1's

the later Gen 2's had a different knuckle design that felt tighter on my hand that I disliked

at that point, I purchased 3 more sets of the gen 1's knowing they would soon be gone...I was getting a couple of years use out of each pair plus I made an effort to repair them as needed

very comfortable for my hands and a good amount of protection

the newest version look like they are an improved design, though

my favorite supplier of gear for many reasons is Texas's www.motorcyclegear.com (http://www.motorcyclegear.com) , previously newenough.com

course, I judge longevity on miles, not time
for 3 years starting in 2008, I rode 25k miles a year between leading rides, touring, and patriot guard. got good use of a pair of summer gloves and then retired them.