PDA

View Full Version : Backrest

Lasica25
09-30-2015, 05:50 AM
Hi, what is the best option for a backrest….2015 RTL….i read that most of u like Utopia…just wanna know if BRP or Utopia or even other option…thanks a lot.

rtga
09-30-2015, 06:37 AM
can't tell what is best, but I can tell you it is not BRP

BikerDoc
09-30-2015, 06:46 AM
Utopia quality, customer service, pricing, and comfort are all great

yudydude
09-30-2015, 06:50 AM
I have the BRP Backrest on my 2014RTL and it is ok for me. Pretty comfortable although not adjustable. I also have the stock seat with the Airhawk-R cushion. Works well for me.

yudydude
09-30-2015, 06:54 AM
I have a 2014 RTL and the BRP backrest and it is fine for me. Not adjustable, but works. I also have the Airhawk-R cushion with the stock seat and it is really comfortable for me.

Spyder 42
09-30-2015, 08:44 AM
A you have seen, many of us have chosen the Utopia over the BRP. Cost and Adjustability are the two prime drivers. You can get an easy to install, adjustable backrest that matches your stock seat for 2/3rds of the cost of the BRP backrest. It's a no brainier, as they say.

stevedfive
09-30-2015, 08:52 AM
In December, the BRP drivers adjustable backrest retrofit kit will become available. FYI only

cyclekid58
09-30-2015, 09:11 AM
In December, the BRP drivers adjustable backrest retrofit kit will become available. FYI only Does that mean we can make our current 2014/15 backrest adjustable, or to be able to use the new 2016 adjustable model, for what these cost to be able to make our current ones adjustable would be great.

robmorg
09-30-2015, 09:32 AM
Utopia quality, customer service, pricing, and comfort are all great

I second all of that!! :thumbup:

I love mine.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-EoH2rp0ALR0/U_QGewDwxOI/AAAAAAAAAK8/pA9KCRVRnbU/w500-h369-no/UtopiaBR_sm.jpg

ThreeWheels
09-30-2015, 10:04 AM
The new BRP backrest is adjustable. Also, there is a conversion kit available to modify the existing BRP backrest to make it adjustable.

Utopia is good, ,but I prefer the look of the BRP backrest.

A further advantage of the Utopia backrest is the removable purse that is mounted on the back, so that a passenger has a handy place to put things, such as lipstick or toll money.
I salvaged the removable purse from my 2010 Utopia and mounted it on my 2014. I had to fashion a cover for it and sewed it to the BRP backrest. What the hell, it was winter, and I had already skied that weekend so this helped keep my mind on summer.
When I get the part to make the backrest adjustable, it will be perfect. IMHO.

stevedfive
09-30-2015, 10:25 AM
It means you can make your 14-15 backrest adjustable.

ARtraveler
09-30-2015, 12:40 PM
I put a Utopia on my 2014 RT and was very satisfied with it.

At the time, cost was less, it was adjustable, the quality looked as good or better than OEM, and I was able to do the install myself.

BRP figured out that making the backrest adjustable was a necessary evil. Cost is still higher. I never liked the looks--but that is just me.

The BRP comfort seat that I put on made the Utopia backrest unnecessary for me--so I sold it to a SL member.

cyclekid58
09-30-2015, 02:49 PM
The new BRP backrest is adjustable. Also, there is a conversion kit available to modify the existing BRP backrest to make it adjustable.

Utopia is good, ,but I prefer the look of the BRP backrest.

A further advantage of the Utopia backrest is the removable purse that is mounted on the back, so that a passenger has a handy place to put things, such as lipstick or toll money.
I salvaged the removable purse from my 2010 Utopia and mounted it on my 2014. I had to fashion a cover for it and sewed it to the BRP backrest. What the hell, it was winter, and I had already skied that weekend so this helped keep my mind on summer.
When I get the part to make the backrest adjustable, it will be perfect. IMHO.

I am interested in the kit, if someone gets part numbers and pics please post!

Jdsd1
09-30-2015, 03:27 PM
Hi, what is the best option for a backrest….2015 RTL….i read that most of u like Utopia…just wanna know if BRP or Utopia or even other option…thanks a lot.

UTOPIA

Lasica25
09-30-2015, 04:06 PM
Thank you all!! Its easy decision. Utopia.

Cruzr Joe
09-30-2015, 04:21 PM
I have the BRP Backrest on my 2014RTL and it is ok for me. Pretty comfortable although not adjustable. I also have the stock seat with the Airhawk-R cushion. Works well for me.

:agree::agree::agree:

Cruzr Joe

KX5062
10-01-2015, 11:07 AM
I have the BRP on mine and like it. However, only after modifying it according to several threads about adding spacers on the underneath mounting bracket. Once that's done, it works well and I'm pleased.

Lasica25
10-05-2015, 05:49 AM
One last help w backrest...im on the road, cant meassure my seat. Which option is right for my 2015RTL seat....

http://www.mcssl.com/SecureCart/ViewCart.aspx?mid=C4578876-1AB5-4826-9738-294CE21B4218&sctoken=ba9722b3392946f1af49a8c2a33a9e61&bhjs=1&bhqs=1

THANKS A LOT

Bob Denman
10-05-2015, 07:08 AM
Since the Utopia AND the BRP backrests are now adjustable; the question becomes how much is the OEM styling worth to you?
After all; BRP's is about twice the money... :shocked:)

Vt. Rider
10-05-2015, 07:16 AM
I put a BRP backrest on my stock seat ('14 RT-S) and liked it.
Then I bought a Utopia seat and backrest at SpyderQuest last month.
I LOVE the Utopia.

As an aside....I have the stock seat and backrest for sale....just haven't posted it yet.

MEP
10-05-2015, 07:50 AM
See post #9 here...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?86050-New-BRP-Spyder-RT-Adustable-Driver-s-Backrest

QUOTE=cyclekid58;1043537]I am interested in the kit, if someone gets part numbers and pics please post![/QUOTE]

robmorg
10-05-2015, 12:51 PM
I put a BRP backrest on my stock seat ('14 RT-S) and liked it.
Then I bought a Utopia seat and backrest at SpyderQuest last month.
I LOVE the Utopia.
Could you possibly mean you bought "Ultimate" seat and backrest? I don't think Utopia makes seats, and I could have missed them, but I did not see any of their backrests at Spyderquest.

Vt. Rider
10-05-2015, 03:28 PM
You're right. Robmorg. My mistake...it's the Ultimate seat and backrest.
But still, I love it.
I did have a Utopia backrest on my Goldwing....and it certainly helped on those long cross country trips. It made long days in the saddle more comfortable.

rays hell
10-05-2015, 07:55 PM
I started with a stock seat and a Utopia backrest then bought a comfort seat. Utopia says their backrest will not work with a comfort seat,
so I bought a Show Chrome online and mounted it and I love the size and padding.
If you have a comfort seat be sure to allow for the 2 inches of extra length.

SpyderNeil
10-06-2015, 04:14 PM
I bought a Show Chrome online and mounted it and I love the size and padding.

rays hell (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?14531-rays-hell)

I have been wondering about this same set-up (Show Chrome backrest and a Comfort seat).

I will have a Comfort seat on the 2016 RT that I have on order, and I May need a backrest.

What do you mean by "be sure to allow for the 2 inches of extra length"? Can't seem to get any answer from Big Bike Parts if the backrest will fit with the comfort seat.

TIA Neil

rays hell
10-06-2015, 06:16 PM
I have a pre 13 comfort seat. I don't know if the newer comfort seats come with the plug to remove for the BRP backrest.
But in the directions it says to measure from the center of the crown two inches back to find the spot to cut the seat.
There is a video on Youtube that shows the install procedure. You can see there how to measure and find the spot to make the cut.
But the stock seat sits the driver 2" closer to the handlebars.
So, I measured 1/2-3/4" from the crown.

I hope this helps

Ray

ttrac
10-06-2015, 06:24 PM
I have the ultimate seat and backrest very easy to install and so much more comfortable than the stock seat and backrest. Although they are expensive to me they are well worth it.:thumbup:

tharris30
10-07-2015, 01:27 PM
can't tell what is best, but I can tell you it is not BRP

Correct. It has no height or back-angle adjustments. Basically pushes you forward. I modified mine with a dremel tool to change the angle. Better now.

dlby
10-07-2015, 07:57 PM
I gave stock backrest on our 2014 rv an 8 month trial

I like it now
In turns it's great
Running down road it's very good

At a stop sign sit up in to the backrest & get height to see -- yep its great

But it took a while to get the feel of if , do not know why

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

SpyderNeil
10-08-2015, 03:53 PM
I have a pre 13 comfort seat. I don't know if the newer comfort seats come with the plug to remove for the BRP backrest.
But in the directions it says to measure from the center of the crown two inches back to find the spot to cut the seat.
There is a video on Youtube that shows the install procedure. You can see there how to measure and find the spot to make the cut.
But the stock seat sits the driver 2" closer to the handlebars.
So, I measured 1/2-3/4" from the crown.

I hope this helps

Ray

Thanks for the reply Ray. Not sure if I will need one yet, but I appreciate the help.

Neil

Duke-Blue
01-10-2016, 12:00 AM
I started with a stock seat and a Utopia backrest then bought a comfort seat. Utopia says their backrest will not work with a comfort seat,
so I bought a Show Chrome online and mounted it and I love the size and padding.

I may be looking at the Utopia website wrong but they show an option for the comfort seat. I am thinking of installing a pre 2014 comfort seat on 2015. I will need to cut the seat but seems pretty straightforward.

Any bad experiences with that option?

robmorg
01-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Utopia's backrest will fit on either a ComfortSeat or regular seat. I have one installed on a ComfortSeat. That requires one of the brackets to be slightly longer, so you just have to tell them which seat you are installing it on.