PDA

View Full Version : Greasing trailer hitch ball & coupler?

oldgoat
09-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Are you supposed to apply any grease or other lubrication to the trailer hitch ball or inside the coupler on the trailer tongue?

remark2013
09-29-2015, 10:55 AM
I have always applied greese to the ball, both on top and around the sides. Then let the coupler do the rest!:2thumbs:

Kent

Saluda
09-29-2015, 11:05 AM
Same here, an old timer told me it was a good thing to do quite a few years ago. Never had an issue, finish on ball has always held up well.

kyspyder
09-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Are you supposed to apply any grease or other lubrication to the trailer hitch ball or inside the coupler on the trailer tongue?

Yes, you are.
Here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-58117-Hitch-Ball/dp/B0008F67JU

oldgoat
09-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys.

5legsshort
09-29-2015, 03:58 PM
If you don't want to attract dirt & dust, when I rode a Goldwing those guys suggested placing a couple layers of wax paper between the ball and coupler. Think it was more due to the leaning of a two-wheeler also. But hey, it works!

ByronM
09-29-2015, 04:10 PM
If you don't want to attract dirt & dust, when I rode a Goldwing those guys suggested placing a couple layers of wax paper between the ball and coupler. Think it was more due to the leaning of a two-wheeler also. But hey, it works!

Candle wax rubbed on also. both to wax paper and candle wax won't rub off on your pants.

oldgoat
09-29-2015, 04:17 PM
I'd get shot if I got grease on my pants! Good ideas.:thumbup:

larryd
09-29-2015, 07:02 PM
I drill a 1/4" hole in the top of all my ball couplers and when I'm hooked up I give it a shot of WD40 thru the 1/4" hole...This lubes the ball and the coupler without the greasy mess...I've been doing this for years...The ball does not make contact with the top of the coupler...Plus you can use this small hole as a sight hole to see if you down on the ball correctly...I recently saw some ball couplers with a small hole in the top from the manufacture...larryd

oldgoat
09-29-2015, 09:24 PM
I drill a 1/4" hole in the top of all my ball couplers and when I'm hooked up I give it a shot of WD40 thru the 1/4" hole...This lubes the ball and the coupler without the greasy mess...I've been doing this for years...The ball does not make contact with the top of the coupler...Plus you can use this small hole as a sight hole to see if you down on the ball correctly...I recently saw some ball couplers with a small hole in the top from the manufacture...larryd

Another neat idea, thanks. :thumbup:

Tango
09-30-2015, 08:14 AM
I have been using wax paper for years now. Keeps the ball nice and clean. Never had a problem. Even on my truck and box trailer. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

BajaRon
09-30-2015, 08:16 AM
You guys are amazing! :thumbup:

Bfromla
10-01-2015, 05:24 PM
I have been using wax paper for years now. Keeps the ball nice and clean. Never had a problem. Even on my truck and box trailer. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Not me but I have fun 117247&my truck is a '68 FORD so some rust is natural :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
10-01-2015, 05:36 PM
:shocked:... Greasing Balls and couplers?
I think that this is a rather personal question; best left as a decision to be made by consenting Adults in the privacy of their home... :shocked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WJ_yQ02xwsM

:joke::joke::joke::joke::joke::joke::joke::joke::j oke::joke::joke::joke::joke:

SailnDive
10-01-2015, 09:07 PM
I know that it is recommended and that I should but I rarely do. I presently own 14 trailers and have been pulling trailers long distance for many years and never had any problems with un-greased hitches. But I really should grease them. :sour: