PDA

View Full Version : Paint Fading/Rubbing Off!?!?!?!

mc2276
01-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Just wondering if anyone else is having this happen and what they have done with it. Right above the footpegs (where the shiny black painted plastic is), I have noticed that the paint is rubbing off due to the constant moving of my legs and feet:(. Any ideas how to stop this from getting worse?:dontknow:

tatt2r
01-22-2009, 05:58 PM
duct tape

mc2276
01-22-2009, 06:25 PM
duct tape
roflmao Thought only MacGuyver could make that work!!!

mike3069
01-22-2009, 06:43 PM
duct tape
Personally, I prefer 125mph tape ( you can tell the difference 'cause it comes in every color EXCEPT grey)!:D

dltang
01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Just wondering if anyone else is having this happen and what they have done with it. Right above the footpegs (where the shiny black painted plastic is), I have noticed that the paint is rubbing off due to the constant moving of my legs and feet:(. Any ideas how to stop this from getting worse?:dontknow:

I use my knees quite a bit when I ride and that is why I have the side panel trim kit. It is a pain to take it on and off with the panels every time we do a mod, but it protects my paint

Director
01-22-2009, 06:45 PM

Got the same thing with my Spyder. I recall reading somewhere that someone was going to use transparent 3M film to protect that area. I haven't done anything about it yet myself.

Bruce

NancysToy
01-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Got the same thing with my Spyder. I recall reading somewhere that someone was going to use transparent 3M film to protect that area. I haven't done anything about it yet myself.

Bruce
I think the 3M film would be a good fix, if you could get it to adapt to any curves in the panel there. Almost all motorcycles wear near your feet, eventually. All except my fossils, it bare frames, that is. I would also think the 3M film could work on the tank if it fit the curves. Anybody out there have experience with the stuff? Anybody have a good source?
-Scotty
-

sabunim5
01-23-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't mean to be argumentative here, but I just went out to my Spyder and there is no shiny black plastic next to the foot pegs. Just the matte finish stuff and mine does not have visible wear marks. Up above the matte finish stuff is shiny black plastic which would be next to your calves. That also shows no sign of wear on my Spyder. I do have some of the 3M clear protective film on top of the (insert color of your Spyder here) Rotax 990 panels. I put it on to protect the finish as I sometimes rest my feet up there on long trips. Higher up on the shiny black panels I have the side protector panels from BRP. Like Deb, I believe I probably would have damaged the finish with my knees by now if I did not have them. I looked locally for the film for some time with no success. I finally when directly to the 3M website where it was easy to find and order. Ryde Safe and Enjoy:thumbup:
sabunim5:spyder:

Director
01-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I don't mean to be argumentative here, but I just went out to my Spyder and there is no shiny black plastic next to the foot pegs. Just the matt finish stuff and mine does not have visible wear marks. Up above the matt finish stuff is shiny black plastic which would be next to your calves. That also shows no sign of wear on my Spyder. I do have some of the 3M clear protective film on top of the (insert color of your Spyder here) Rotax 990 panels. I put it on to protect the finish as I sometimes rest my feet up there on long trips. Higher up on the shiny black panels I have the side protector panels from BRP. Like Deb, I believe I probably would have damaged the finish with my knees by now if I did not have them. I looked locally for the film for some time with no success. I finally when directly to the 3M website where it was easy to find and order. Ryde Safe and Enjoy:thumbup:

You are correct Steven. It is actually the matte finish area that is showing signs of scuff wear on my Spyder, not the shiny area above. I wear thick Alpinstars boots, and I wonder if that is why there is an undue amount of contact with that surface area.:dontknow:

Bruce

LDFIREWORKS
01-23-2009, 03:18 PM
move your legs [only kinnin ]:2thumbs:

sabunim5
01-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I just don't know Bruce. I went back out and double checked for scuff marks or wear thinking I had been too quick or that there was bad light. I still see nothing as Colonel Klink used to say. Touring, I wear a set of Tourmaster waterproof boots and commuting I have a pair of big clunky Cruiserworks boots. Before I got my floorboards, I used to rest my right foot on the matte stuff behind the fan and I don't see any scratches or scuffs there either. Different lot number of the matte finish panels perhaps or all that wear must be related to low temperatures? I don't think that the 3M film would adhere to the matte finish as well as it does to the smoother shiny finish. I'm not much help unless being sympathetic counts. As I think about it though I believe both pairs of my riding boots advertised having "non-scuff soles" :dontknow: Ryde Safe and Enjoy :thumbup:

Director
01-23-2009, 04:10 PM
I just don't know Bruce. I went back out and double checked for scuff marks or wear thinking I had been too quick or that there was bad light. I still see nothing as Colonel Klink used to say. Touring, I wear a set of Tourmaster waterproof boots and commuting I have a pair of big clunky Cruiserworks boots. Before I got my floorboards, I used to rest my right foot on the matte stuff behind the fan and I don't see any scratches or scuffs there either. Different lot number of the matte finish panels perhaps or all that wear must be related to low temperatures? I don't think that the 3M film would adhere to the matte finish as well as it does to the smoother shiny finish. I'm not much help unless being sympathetic counts. As I think about it though I believe both pairs of my riding boots advertised having "non-scuff soles" :dontknow: Ryde Safe and Enjoy :thumbup:

Sympathy is always appreciated, Steven! :coffee: I will try to take some pics and post them so you can see what I am talking about. It's not a really big deal, just a minor annoyance.

Bruce

Director
01-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Sympathy is always appreciated, Steven! :coffee: I will try to take some pics and post them so you can see what I am talking about. It's not a really big deal, just a minor annoyance.

Bruce

Here are a couple of pics I took with my cell phone camera. I don't know if the scuffing will show up. As I say, I haven't lost any sleep over it, but am curious to know if others have this wear on their Spyders as well. Keep in mind, I only have 2000 kilometres on it.

Bruce

BRPjunkie
01-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Here are a couple of pics I took with my cell phone camera. I don't know if the scuffing will show up. As I say, I haven't lost any sleep over it, but am curious to know if others have this wear on their Spyders as well. Keep in mind, I only have 2000 kilometres on it.

Bruce

Looks like the muffler burn spot. Put a deflector over it. :joke:

bjt
01-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Looks like the muffler burn spot. Put a deflector over it. :joke:

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/hahaha-024.gif

SpyderDog65
01-29-2009, 04:42 AM
Just wondering if anyone else is having this happen and what they have done with it. Right above the footpegs (where the shiny black painted plastic is), I have noticed that the paint is rubbing off due to the constant moving of my legs and feet:(. Any ideas how to stop this from getting worse?:dontknow: and if that dont work theres always electrical tape its still black lol jk.

sabunim5
01-29-2009, 03:59 PM
roflmaoroflmao
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/hahaha-024.gif