PDA

View Full Version : Laser Alignment and Swaybar

Rich
09-24-2015, 08:40 PM
I have just purchased a 2015 RTS SE6 which is my first journey into Spyderdom. It sounds like a laser alignment and sway bar should be high on my list of first mods and I have a couple questions First, where does one get a laser alignment performed? Second, is the sway bar a home garage project or one that should be done by the dealer?

BTW, seems like a great bunch here on the forum. Thanks for any input that you can provide.

Pampurrs
09-24-2015, 08:44 PM
I have just purchased a 2015 RTS SE6 which is my first journey into Spyderdom. It sounds like a laser alignment and sway bar should be high on my list of first mods and I have a couple questions First, where does one get a laser alignment performed? Second, is the sway bar a home garage project or one that should be done by the dealer?

BTW, seems like a great bunch here on the forum. Thanks for any input that you can provide.

:welcome:

If you are good at wrenching, have all the tools, and the proper lift, you can install the sway bar yourself. An experienced mechanic can do it in an hour for $90-100.

As far as Laser Alignment..... IF you need it you can find a local dealer on the SpyderComfort website http://spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm

Squared Away in Las Vegas is one of the sponsors here, if you're anywhere near there. They do laser alignments AND install the sway bar.

Pam

robmorg
09-24-2015, 09:49 PM
You can check with your dealer. Almost any dealer will install the sway bar & improved heim links that go with it. Many dealers are now equipped to do laser alignments. My dealer did both for me.

The link that Pam gave you above lists both Spyder dealers and after-market vendors for the lazer alignment.

Rich
09-24-2015, 10:07 PM
:welcome:

If you are good at wrenching, have all the tools, and the proper lift, you can install the sway bar yourself. An experienced mechanic can do it in an hour for $90-100.

As far as Laser Alignment..... IF you need it you can find a local dealer on the SpyderComfort website http://spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm

Squared Away in Las Vegas is one of the sponsors here, if you're anywhere near there. They do laser alignments AND install the sway bar.

Pam

Thanks for the link. I haven't yet thrown a leg over the bike and will see how it is before spending any $$. Just seems like everything that I have read about setting up a Spyder for 2 up touring has included those 2 items.

I'm a reasonable wrench but I think if I can get the sway bar installed professionally for $100 that will be my route. Thanks again!

Chupaca
09-24-2015, 10:16 PM
to both the spyder world and this informative site..congrats on your new ryde..:2thumbs: once you get it broke in and feel you need the swaybar it is a job you can do yourself with the proper tools (mostly a way to raise the unit). The alignment is a good idea as not all from the factory machines are still in alignment at delivery. Check your area, its done at most all spyder events or check with Squared Away (Ann and Joe) sponsors here for when they might be in your area...be safe and enjoy...:ohyea::ohyea:

Rich
09-24-2015, 10:25 PM
You can check with your dealer. Almost any dealer will install the sway bar & improved heim links that go with it. Many dealers are now equipped to do laser alignments. My dealer did both for me.

The link that Pam gave you above lists both Spyder dealers and after-market vendors for the lazer alignment.

Was there a noticeable improvement?

SpyderAnn01
09-24-2015, 11:30 PM
Welcome, Rich. We are a long way from Georgia but we'd be happy to get you squared away! Check out the link that you were given and you should have no trouble finding someone to align your Spyder in your area. The feedback we generally get after aligning a Spyder is that it is smoother, lighter and just handles better. The combination of sway bar and alignment should be at the top of your list for handling improvements.

The Governor
09-25-2015, 02:52 AM
Don't forget about Swaybar links. Help the new bar do it's job by tossing the factory plastic links, and installing the billet links.

Changing the links and bar is REALLY simple. You don't need to get it 24" off the ground or anything really complex. Search this site and YouTube for the intructions for unbolting the lower portion of the frunk. With a floor jack and basic tools, I was able to change the bar and links in literally 30 minutes. Easy.

Welcome to Spyderdom! It's the most fun, ever.

Doc - Riverside
09-25-2015, 03:05 AM
Rich where are you located in Georgia? If near the eastern side of the state I can help you on both items. PM sent.

Doc - Riverside
09-25-2015, 03:15 AM
Don't forget about Swaybar links. Help the new bar do it's job by tossing the factory plastic links, and installing the billet links.

Changing the links and bar is REALLY simple. You don't need to get it 24" off the ground or anything really complex. Search this site and YouTube for the intructions for unbolting the lower portion of the frunk. With a floor jack and basic tools, I was able to change the bar and links in literally 30 minutes. Easy.

Welcome to Spyderdom! It's the most fun, ever.

The Sway Bar for the 2014 and up RT's from Ron comes with the Billet links and the front has to be lifted up by at least 22 inches to get the sway bar out of the channel it is in.

donkes
09-25-2015, 03:35 AM
Welcome. Your investment in aftermarket stuff is well worth it.

wengerda
09-25-2015, 10:54 AM

The link that Pam gave you above lists both Spyder dealers and after-market vendors for the laser alignment.

Not all the areas (Northern Virginia) will do laser alignment. Also the two large dealers in my area, does not like laser alignment, they dont trust them (I am not sure why).

SpyderAnn01
09-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Not all the areas (Northern Virginia) will do laser alignment. Also the two large dealers in my area, does not like laser alignment, they dont trust them (I am not sure why).

It isn't that they don't trust them it is more likely that they don't want to buy the equipment. BRP trusts them so why wouldn't a dealer? We had an experience last weekend while we were doing alignments in California, one of our customers had had his Spyder aligned by someone who was dead against using lasers, he did a "frame alignment", not only was this Spyder toed way out but the tires were ruined too. Funny thing was that just a week before our trip the anti laser guy purchased the equipment and is now doing laser alignments.

wengerda
09-25-2015, 01:23 PM
It isn't that they don't trust them it is more likely that they don't want to buy the equipment. BRP trusts them so why wouldn't a dealer? We had an experience last weekend while we were doing alignments in California, one of our customers had had his Spyder aligned by someone who was dead against using lasers, he did a "frame alignment", not only was this Spyder toed way out but the tires were ruined too. Funny thing was that just a week before our trip the anti laser guy purchased the equipment and is now doing laser alignments.

Could you please convince my two large dealers here in Northern VA to buy a laser alignment machine. :pray:

JayBros
09-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Could you please convince my two large dealers here in Northern VA to buy a laser alignment machine. :pray:

There are none so blind as those who will not see!

Rich
09-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Thanks to everyone for the welcome and info. My dealer said the bike is in and I'll pick it up next week. Can't wait to try it out.

After reading all the posts it looks like there's one more item that I'm going to have to add to the list... Pam, where can I get the missile system?:thumbup:

BajaRon
09-25-2015, 09:47 PM

http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/You_Can_t_Fix_Stupid.jpg

Pampurrs
09-25-2015, 11:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for the welcome and info. My dealer said the bike is in and I'll pick it up next week. Can't wait to try it out.

After reading all the posts it looks like there's one more item that I'm going to have to add to the list... Pam, where can I get the missile system?:thumbup:

Sorry, it's one of a kind :roflblack:

Pam

cptjam
09-26-2015, 12:03 AM
BRP issued a service bulletin last year on the Rolo laser alignment system. Told the dealers to get the system; it is now the gold standard on alignment. Make them pull it up, and explain why they don't.
Or, come to Las Vegas! We can Square you Away!😄. Joe

HoopsMD
09-26-2015, 05:53 AM
For us newbies, what are we. Looking at for cost of the alignment and swaybar. I have a 13 RT se5. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Gray Ghost
09-26-2015, 06:09 AM
For us newbies, what are we. Looking at for cost of the alignment and swaybar. I have a 13 RT se5. Thanks.

Depends on where you get them done. Labor rates differ between dealerships. Most independents charge 120 for laser alignment, but I have heard of dealerships charging more than 300.

robmorg
09-26-2015, 09:16 AM
Was there a noticeable improvement?The beefier sway bar from Bajaron made a substantial difference in counter-acting the centrifugal force in turns. I'd heartily recommend it, as most folks do here. The laser alignment did not make much difference for me, as it turned out mine was fairly well aligned to begin with. Others have reported a big improvement though after having that done.

Pampurrs
09-26-2015, 09:33 AM

My dealer charged me $90 to install the sway bar. The tech had it finished and ready to go in 45 minutes. As far as the laser alignment, I have heard anywhere from $120-$150. Mine rides true, so I haven't taken that step yet. I will, however, have it checked whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Pam

Speedbump
09-26-2015, 06:09 PM

Just received the Bajaron sway bar and checked with my dealer that would be happy to install it for $140.:yikes: I think I'll attempt it myself.

Pampurrs
09-27-2015, 01:00 AM
Just received the Bajaron sway bar and checked with my dealer that would be happy to install it for $140.:yikes: I think I'll attempt it myself.

One dealership here in the Phoenix area quoted me 4.5 hours labor at $90 per hour. I took it to the dealer where I purchased it 140 miles from home, and they installed it in 45 minutes at a cost of $90.00.

I later went back to the dealership that quoted me 4,5 hours and asked the service Manager why it would take them that long, when everyone else can do it in one hour. He told me (with a very straight face) that because they don't have the right kind of lift, they have to have two extra mechanics on the job to lift up the front end while the other one installs the sway bar. Visions of the three stooges popped into my head. :chat:

Pam