PDA

View Full Version : Clutch replacement 2011 RT SM5

spyder47
09-24-2015, 02:43 PM
Recently took :spyder2: in to have some error codes cleared and mentioned that it was "creeping" or "pulling" forward slightly when at a stop in first w/ the clutch all the way in. First reaction was new clutch plates, then dealer suggested flushing the clutch fluid - which was ugly. Spyder no longer creeps, having flushed the fluid, but dealer still wants to do clutch work based on its' mileage, which is 66k miles. Is it just plain time to bite the bullet or should we just ride on and pay closer attention to the fluid?

billybovine
09-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Was this the first time that you flushed and filled the clutch fluid? It was way overdue, every 6,000 mi or once a year.
If it's working now, drive on.

spyder47
09-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Not first - or second or third, either - but not that often. Thanks

Bob Denman
09-24-2015, 04:58 PM
I think it was Scotty, who posted about the fluid in there attacking the O-rings... :shocked:
Did you take a close look at them?

finless
09-24-2015, 05:57 PM
REALITY CHECK!

If the clutch plates are worn, then it will slip when accelerating.... And if they are really bad, full clutch failure (you cannot move at all).

If you get creep when holding the clutch lever in, it's because the clutch plates are not fully releasing the output drive clutch plates from the engine.

This is almost always a cause of Slave cylinder issues, Master cylinder issues, or fluid joining the two to work properly to pull the clutch plates out of riding on the engine output plates.

Absolutely NO WAY would "worn" clutch plates cause what you describe unless there was some odd failure like the lining came off and jammed the drive plates (RARE)..

Bob

Chupaca
09-24-2015, 06:03 PM
your plates are still good. When you start to smell burnt cork or feel the engine going faster than you are then go for new clutch package...:thumbup:

finless
09-24-2015, 06:11 PM
Was this the first time that you flushed and filled the clutch fluid? It was way overdue, every 6,000 mi or once a year.
If it's working now, drive on.

I did mine at 8K and it was REALY NASTY....

My speculation as to why the clutch fluid gets so contaminated in a short time is the vacuum assist.
Oil is somehow getting into the fluid.

My best guess...

FYI, I am flushing mine again at 17K this weekend.

Bob

finless
09-24-2015, 06:14 PM
your plates are still good. When you start to smell burnt cork or feel the engine going faster than you are then go for new clutch package...:thumbup:

+100

Bob