PDA

View Full Version : CB or Sena 20S? which is better?

Questions
09-23-2015, 10:17 AM
We are debating between a CB system and a Sena 20S for our new bike. I want to listen to music, talk with each other, take phone calls etc.. We have joined a group that has some goldwings in it and they all seem to have CB'S. I understand that with Bloothtooth in order for us to talk with others in the group they would need to be on a bluetooth system.

Any thoughts on which is better?

Thanks,

Marker
09-23-2015, 10:32 AM
You can have both the Sena 20S and get the bluetooth adapter Sena SR10 and a portable Cb Midland 75-822. This what I have on my 2015RT Limited.The cb range is good ,I use a longer antenna and it works OK. The only downside is when riding in the rain the CB is exposed unless you want to cover it or not use it and also changing channels on CB.
In my opinion the BRP CB/Comm system is garbage. I had this system on my 2010 RT S and it caused a lot of electrical issues with my spyder and the CB range was awful.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116697&stc=1

ARtraveler
09-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Sena's are pretty good for us. We use ours for bike to bike communication as opposed to music, etc. Never used a CB setup on :spyder2:, but there are a lot of GW drivers here that use them.

PaladinLV
09-23-2015, 02:31 PM
The BRP CB is as already stated GARBAGE.
If you really want to go CB the Midland Portable and SR10 with Sena S20 would be the way to go.

However, consider this.

How much time will be spent talking to Goldwings as compared with other Spyder riders OR on your own with passenger?

If the majority of time 70% + is NOT with Goldwings, then I would suggest going with the Sena 20S and the SM10 BT dongle.

AJ

We are debating between a CB system and a Sena 20S for our new bike. I want to listen to music, talk with each other, take phone calls etc.. We have joined a group that has some goldwings in it and they all seem to have CB'S. I understand that with Bloothtooth in order for us to talk with others in the group they would need to be on a bluetooth system.

Thanks,

djhobin
09-23-2015, 02:40 PM
I just purchased a Midland 75-822 CB and have SMH10 Sena on my helmet. The riding group I ride with use the CB. I have not used it yet, but will the first Sat if Oct. I plugged the CB into the SMH10 where the plug in for the MP3 goes, turned on the SMH10, tuned to the weather, Behold the sound came. I will not be able speak with the others, but all I really need is to be able to hear the instructions of the Road Capt.

Dennis

DrewNJ
09-23-2015, 02:40 PM
A CB? Really? [emoji23] [emoji23]
https://youtu.be/hRFuIot1bh4

Pirate looks at --
09-23-2015, 02:46 PM
I have not used the CB but several folks in our Ryding group have had theirs taken out and gone to Bluetooth sets instead as the range is much better. Now they were using the BRP CB , so I am sure that the ones suggested by others here are superior.

Motorcycledave
09-23-2015, 03:26 PM
I would go to your local truck stop... Loves- Flying J or other and get a good hand held CB
Cobra, Midland or other, I can supply you with the SR10 made by SENA and mount it on your dash or handlebars
that will work great and cost you several hundred dollars less than the BRP unit. ask anyone here
they will point you in the right direction
Ride Save
Dave

Thanks,

Questions
09-23-2015, 03:46 PM
AJ,

Why would I need the SM10 BT dongle if I am getting the 20S? What does that do?

flamingobabe
09-23-2015, 03:48 PM
http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=46

PaladinLV
09-24-2015, 01:06 PM
The radio cannot be paired to the headset.
The dongle allows the Radio, MP3 player or iPod, and GPS navigation, to be passed to the 20S without the need of trying to pair ALL of them to the headset.
Anything that can go to the Spyder speakers will go to the headset.

AJ

AJ,

Why would I need the SM10 BT dongle if I am getting the 20S? What does that do?

Questions
09-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Makes sense. Thanks man