PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT windshield recall

Questions
09-23-2015, 07:20 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116696&stc=1I am Spyder owner and have heard there was a recall on 2014 RT windshield hardware? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

PMK
09-23-2015, 07:38 AM
Can not say if it was a recall or not. I assume you are talking about the hardware that the windscreen pivots on. I had read that some people had the screw back out and the pivot pin fall out.

We have the same machine as you, even in the same color. I have removed our windscreen at the pivots and found no issues.

For piece of mind, you could ensure the screws are snug. DO NOT make them tight. The inner bushings are shorter than the casting and you may crack the casting or deform it creating a problem later.

It is a very simple check, and if you have the tool, not even worth the drive to the dealer.

If you are talking about the windscreen arm that raises and lowers the windscreen, if they have done a recall, this is the first I have heard about it. Those items have failed, but so far are being replaced when they fail under warranty.

PK

Questions
09-23-2015, 07:50 AM
Yes PK talking about the hardware. Had one of the screws pop out and lost on the way home from delivery. Bought it from a non cam dealer about an hour and a half from the house.

Thanks,

PMK
09-23-2015, 07:54 AM
Yes PK talking about the hardware. Had one of the screws pop out and lost on the way home from delivery. Bought it from a non cam dealer about an hour and a half from the house.

Thanks,

Honestly, hit a True Value store or bicycle shop. Get new matching hardware in stainless. Ensure the threads are clean and use one small drop of Loc-Tite on the screw threads.

The oem design is nice but is a little weird though cosmetically is perfect.

Again, do not tighten, just snug and let the Loc-Tite retain the screw.

PK

blacklightning
09-23-2015, 08:25 AM
I have not heard of a recall on anything to do with the windshield, but I will be keeping my eye open for issues.
BTW, we need to get up, I see that you are in Cary also. We have a group of about 3 that get together to ride from time to time. I am on the southern side of Cary off 1010 rd.

finless
09-23-2015, 08:32 AM
No recall that I have heard of but there maybe a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about the screws. Unfortunately unless you know someone that can get on BRP's BOSSWeb, we cannot see those.

Bob

Questions
09-23-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Would love to get together and ride anytime. Shoot me an e mail and we can get something on the books.

sgarfield@technicalprosource.com

Thanks blacklightning.

Marker
09-23-2015, 09:57 AM
Friends have a 2014 Spyder RT. They have found that if you put windshield not quite all the way up and not all the way down there is no problem with the screws. Others in our group have had problems with
the windshield and they put windshield all the way up and all the way down.

Dan McNally
09-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Go to this link and enter your VIN to find recalls for your Spyder

http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/safety/safety-recalls-vin-lookup.html

Tony8472
09-25-2015, 05:13 PM
I just got a new tire at the dealer and he automatically ordered the new screws for me. I don't remember if he said it was a recall or a bulletin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
09-25-2015, 05:21 PM
I believe that there was a TSB issued about the hardware. :thumbup:
Yet nothing, for the fragile center strut... :banghead:

DJFaninTN
09-25-2015, 06:13 PM
wondering if this has something to do with the squeezing I get when I hit a bump in the road. If you hit a wash board area on the road it sounds worse. I've tried spraying some lube up there on the arms and it stops it for about a week or so and then it's back again. :banghead:

RTJERRY
09-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Think it was a service bulletin but whatever. The pin was almost out on mine the second day. My dealer replaced it and the gas cap same time.

JayBros
09-28-2015, 09:05 PM
Does anyone have a picture or part number of the screw(s) and pin(s) you're talking about? What else has to come off after the windshield from the frame to check. I've been riding from the getgo with the windshield raised just a shade up from bottom stop because of the potential cracking of the movement arm on the windshield motor support assembly. Thank you.

PaladinLV
09-28-2015, 09:09 PM
NOT a RECALL!

There is a Service Bulletin out on this problem.
The parts come under warranty and you or your shop can install the new bolts and washers.

AJ

Thanks,