PDA

View Full Version : 2013 heat fix for non-2013 RT's.

flaggerphil
09-21-2015, 07:35 PM
Has anyone with a 2010-2012 RT who did NOT have overheating problems get the 2013 airscoop heat-fix anyway? Just to get the scoops on and keep the heat down a little more?

Just curious.

POD KonB GA
09-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Doc Riverside did it on his, which is now mine. 2010 RTS. I don't have anything to compare it to, but Doc said it ran it much cooler, and dissipated the torch on your right foot. I think the scoops look great.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

CharlieIndia
09-21-2015, 08:01 PM
Getting scoops put on at the dealer on my 2011 RTS (Thursday) heard good things. There is a thread somewhere on this site that goes into detail about it. I'll let u know what I think but they r suppose to make the machine run cooler.

Highwayman2013
09-21-2015, 08:08 PM
I had my wife's done and the heat around the front of the seat is gone, glove box cool after a ride, and the right foot heat is probably half of what it was.

Highwayman2013
09-21-2015, 08:11 PM
Here is what it looks like under the skin without the acoustic panels.

samewok
09-21-2015, 08:30 PM
I had it done on my 2011 and there is no heat at the front of the seat.

Empty Pockets
09-21-2015, 09:31 PM
Was it a courtesy warranty? Or Did you all have to pay for it? If so what was the cost range

loisk
09-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Here are comments from an oz fellow with 2010 rt - who added air scoops - temps in celsius...:

Well finally went for a ride today, temp was about 18-20 deg and did around 280 ks and I have to say what a difference. Filled up with fuel and the cap was actually cold along with the frame just above. The glovebox is no longer a pie warmer. Now there is a downside, can't believe I'm even saying this however riding home at about 5.45pm I was actually getting cold because there is absolutely no heat coming up from the motor. Will now need to rug up a little for colder weather. This is the design that The RT should have come out from the factory, I guess better late than never. Am I happy, you bet!!!!!!!!!

Another great part of the air scoops is my fuel is much cooler so when refuelling there is less expansion and refills much easier.

Sarge707
09-21-2015, 09:39 PM
I did it to my 2012 RT that Had No heat problems and The Removing of the acoustic Panels (Which cover the cylinder heads) and the combination of the vents has My 2012 Running 4 Bars even in 90 Degree heat IF you sustain the speed for a few minutes.
Of course in stop and go its going to be 5 Bars?

The acoustic panels that cover the cylinder heads Has been a problem from the Start and they FINALLY realized it after several of us on this site commented about it as the possible problem???nojoke

Bob Denman
09-22-2015, 07:16 AM
I would say that removal of the acoustic panels may be the biggest part of the cure...
Pull them out, and see if it makes the difference that you want! :thumbup:
(After all; this experiment would cost you nothing! :D)

2RTsGV
09-22-2015, 07:36 AM
We had the scoops installed on my wife's 2012 RTL and the glovebox area and under the seat does not get hot anymore. Additionally, the gas tank is cool to touch after a long ride and temp guage hovers around the halfway mark instead of 3/4. We have also noticed an increase in fuel mileage since both our bikes (mine = 2013 RT) are both currently getting 32-33 mpg

Our dealer contacted BRP regarding getting the scoops installed on the 2012 and was told that as we still have extended warranty BRP will pick up the tab for the installation.

Sarge707
09-22-2015, 07:42 AM
Another BIG help is removing the Left and right under panels on 2010-2012 Models. This lets the air rush in the scoops and go by the cylinder heads and exit out the bottom !! I have done 46,000 miles without them on my GS and RT and there is No problem with doing this.

bronzeflex42
09-22-2015, 08:24 AM
I talked my dealer in Ga and they don't seem to know anything about BRP cover the cost of getting the scoops put on, pre 2013 models. :dontknow: :dontknow:

2RTsGV
09-22-2015, 08:38 AM
I talked my dealer in Ga and they don't seem to know anything about BRP cover the cost of getting the scoops put on, pre 2013 models. :dontknow: :dontknow:

It would appear that the dealer doesn't want to contact BRP then. If you still have warranty (Factory or BEST Extended) I think it might be in your best interest to tell your dealer that you are getting heat under the seat and glove box areas / maybe mention the hot foot and ask what can be done about it.

I know of 7 pre 2013 bikes (2010s - 2012) in the KC area that have had them installed by BRP in the last month - free of charge.

bronzeflex42
09-22-2015, 10:36 AM
It would appear that the dealer doesn't want to contact BRP then. If you still have warranty (Factory or BEST Extended) I think it might be in your best interest to tell your dealer that you are getting heat under the seat and glove box areas / maybe mention the hot foot and ask what can be done about it.

I know of 7 pre 2013 bikes (2010s - 2012) in the KC area that have had them installed by BRP in the last month - free of charge.
Thanks for the info. Did they contact BRP on their own? I will call my dealer and tell them the problems and see what they say. I do have BRP BEST warranty coverage til 2017..

finless
09-22-2015, 11:01 AM
I would say that removal of the acoustic panels may be the biggest part of the cure...
Pull them out, and see if it makes the difference that you want! :thumbup:
(After all; this experiment would cost you nothing! :D)

Bob, this is a NO NO... those panels are also structural!

The scoop kit comes with metal braces to replace the acoustic panels and keep the structural integrity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnuxWSH2FSc

Bob

finless
09-22-2015, 11:03 AM
Make sure the dealer does the scoop kit correctly!
The acoustic panels must be removed AND they have to put the metal braces that come with the kit on!

I have seen 2 Spyders now that the dealer did not do this. The did not remove the acoustic panels and put the brace on.
This was from two different dealers in my area.

The braces looks like this:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116641&d=1442937802

Bob

Bob Denman
09-22-2015, 12:05 PM
:shocked: I did not know this...
Thanks for the correction! :clap:
(But it does look as if that bracing could be "Backyard-Brewed"... :D

2RTsGV
09-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the info. Did they contact BRP on their own? I will call my dealer and tell them the problems and see what they say. I do have BRP BEST warranty coverage til 2017..

They all spoke to the service dept at the dealer and the service rep contacted brp.

finless
09-22-2015, 12:51 PM
:shocked: I did not know this...
Thanks for the correction! :clap:
(But it does look as if that bracing could be "Backyard-Brewed"... :D

Yep in fact you could cut the panel leaving just the "webbed brace part" of the panel and this would work perfectly.

Bob

Bob Denman
09-22-2015, 12:55 PM
Sometimes, the most fun comes from working your way around something... :thumbup:

flaggerphil
09-22-2015, 07:39 PM
From what I'm reading hear having the scoops installed on my 2011 may be the way to go.

jroberts650
09-24-2015, 10:55 AM
I had it done to my 2010 and it works great. No more hot gas cap or boiling gas. Actually feels like an A/C coming from the seat area at the glove box. Took alot of complaining and work on my part to get this approved.

Only complaint is that you hear a good bit more engine noise since the acoustic panels were taken off than before.

jtoro1
09-24-2015, 12:46 PM
I did mine ,I bought mine at the dealer at US 1 motorsports in Grant florida $69 it works good

jcthorne
09-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Bob, this is a NO NO... those panels are also structural!

The scoop kit comes with metal braces to replace the acoustic panels and keep the structural integrity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnuxWSH2FSc

Bob

Do you have the part number for the scoops kit with the braces to replace the panels? Would like to order a kit for Louise new 15......

She actually complains that its much hotter than her 13 was post recall.

LoveMyRyde
09-25-2015, 09:46 AM
My 2011 RTL threw some heat. Not as bad as some. I contacted my dealer and they ordered the scoop kit and installed it at no cost to me. It made a huge difference. I would recommend having it done.

Here is some info. From a previous thread that helped me with my transaction. I just emailed my dealer with this information and an explaination of my problem and they took care of everything.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Sarge707 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1007135#post1007135)

Mention TST#112333 and Kit # 219800388

Bensonoid
09-25-2015, 05:03 PM
I would definitely get them, they should be on all of them. The difference in mine is like night and day. I used to have to leave it outside for at least 1/2 hr. for the evap. overflow to stop dripping, now I hit the door opener and drive in without stopping. I also don't feel like I have to keep one eye in the mirror watching for smoke or flames while going down the road.

ravseren
09-25-2015, 06:32 PM
I did, because the heat was melting the glue on my right boot. It made a HUGE difference. BRP was kind enough to pick up the tab for both the parts and labor. I thanked them for that.

Highwayman2013
09-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Do you have the part number for the scoops kit with the braces to replace the panels? Would like to order a kit for Louise new 15......

She actually complains that its much hotter than her 13 was post recall.

http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/p/parts?aribrand=BRP#/s/BRP//219800388/1

ohiogis
10-09-2015, 12:24 PM
We had the scoops installed on my wife's 2012 RTL and the glovebox area and under the seat does not get hot anymore. Additionally, the gas tank is cool to touch after a long ride and temp guage hovers around the halfway mark instead of 3/4. We have also noticed an increase in fuel mileage since both our bikes (mine = 2013 RT) are both currently getting 32-33 mpg

Our dealer contacted BRP regarding getting the scoops installed on the 2012 and was told that as we still have extended warranty BRP will pick up the tab for the installation.

Many thanks and a big thumbs up to Anthony and the team at Johnny K's Powersports in Lodi, OH. They contacted BRP to get me the full warranty coverage for both parts and installation of the scoops on my 2012 RT Limited. Then called me to make an appointment, and got it done quickly. These guys have always done a great job keeping me happy and on the road! And the scoops look awesome on the RT! :yes: :clap:

jcthorne
10-10-2015, 07:43 AM
Finished installing these yesterday...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117712&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117713&stc=1

One of the first things Louise noticed about the 2015 was how much WARMER it was than her 2013. No more.

She is also sporting a new laser alignment done right here in Houston and ready for the Hill Country Ride next weekend!

Bob Denman
10-10-2015, 08:01 AM
:clap:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=117714&stc=1

Becky5257
10-14-2015, 02:16 PM
I did mine ,I bought mine at the dealer at US 1 motorsports in Grant florida $69 it works good

Good to know. I moved to Palm Bay a few months ago and need to find a reputable dealer. I'll have to pop in there after Biketoberfest and see about getting this done. I want to have a sway bar and foot pegs installed anyway, might as well do it all at once. Thanks!

pegasus1300
10-14-2015, 05:06 PM
So do the scoops only come in black?

NorCalBud
10-14-2015, 05:21 PM
So do the scoops only come in black?

I had it done for my '12 RTL and I've only seen them in Black. The front aprox 1-1/2 inches is high gloss/smooth finish and the rest is Matte black/rough finish. But they look great on all the trykes I've seen 'em on, regardless of the color of the Spyder...

finless
10-17-2015, 08:39 AM
JUST MAKE SURE the dealer did the job correctly...

I have seen several 2010-2012's that got the scoops and the dealer did not remove the acoustic panel and install the proper brace that comes in the kit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnuxWSH2FSc

Bob

Bob Denman
10-17-2015, 09:27 AM
I had it done for my '12 RTL and I've only seen them in Black. The front aprox 1-1/2 inches is high gloss/smooth finish and the rest is Matte black/rough finish. But they look great on all the trykes I've seen 'em on, regardless of the color of the Spyder...

I'll bet that they'd be pretty easy to color-match... :thumbup:

ravseren
10-17-2015, 10:25 AM
I have posted several times in response to this issue. I contacted BRP regarding the heat on my 2012 RT LTD. They were GREAT. They arranged for my dealer to get the scoops and install everything for me as an accommodation at no cost to me. I was not the original owner, had no extended warranty and was beyond the two years, but they took care of everything for me. I don't think one ask for any more responsive a company than that. It has made a world of difference on my bike, and I can now drive 600 miles in 90 plus with no issues.
Seth

Creepn
10-17-2015, 02:41 PM
After reading this thread, I've decided to install the kit on my wives 2010 RT. I ordered the kit yesterday and should have it by next weekend. The dealer said they have to wait until they have a minimum of $150 to order from BRP. The scoop kit was something like $68 and I ordered a rubber grommet I'm missing from my left side tupperware for an additional $4. He said that he should have enough sales by Monday to put in the order. I'm planning on taking pictures during the install and I'll post again after the job is done.

JimboRTS
10-17-2015, 03:59 PM
After reading this thread, I've decided to install the kit on my wives 2010 RT. I ordered the kit yesterday and should have it by next weekend. The dealer said they have to wait until they have a minimum of $150 to order from BRP. The scoop kit was something like $68 and I ordered a rubber grommet I'm missing from my left side tupperware for an additional $4. He said that he should have enough sales by Monday to put in the order. I'm planning on taking pictures during the install and I'll post again after the job is done.
Would be nice to have video to follow the vent install