PDA

View Full Version : Brp trailer grounding harness service bulletin

Brentc
09-20-2015, 06:17 AM
My 2010 trailer has been at the dealer for a couple of weeks while they were waiting for the electrical update part #219400637 to come in so that it can connect to my 2014 rts with the 4 way square plug. Ann from squared away made this change over a while back and she mentioned a service bulletin in early 2014 that spoke of an additional grounding harness that is needed to prevent the trailer module from blowing. I was wondering if anyone might have a copy of that or know how I can get one so I know what to look for when I go pickup from the dealer this Tuesday. I think the dealer is really trying his best on this, but I don't think they are well versed in trailers. I was also wondering if my e the grounding harness could be part of the electrical update part above that they have ordered and installed?

i really hate being at the mercy of the dealer and that's why I'm trying to understand as much of this as possible along the way.

thanks as always for any advice or help.

trikermutha
09-20-2015, 07:45 AM
Is this bulletin only for the MY 2010 RT622 trailers?

Brentc
09-20-2015, 08:06 AM
Is this bulletin only for the MY 2010 RT622 trailers?

I beleive so, but am not certain. From what I understand it is related to the number of wires in the 2010 harness that apparently changed in 2011.

Not sure though

trikermutha
09-20-2015, 08:42 AM
I beleive so, but am not certain. From what I understand it is related to the number of wires in the 2010 harness that apparently changed in 2011.

Not sure though

I just wanted to make sure it does affect the 2010 thru 2012 models.. or 2010 only? If you find out let us know..:thumbup:

mustangbob
09-20-2015, 11:23 AM
I recently bought a NOS 2010 trailer and wasn't sure if the update was done. I had my dealer run a vin check on the trailer and that will tell you if it has been performed. They should also be able to check their computers for all service bulletins relating to the trailer.

billybovine
09-20-2015, 11:28 AM
I recently bought a NOS 2010 trailer and wasn't sure if the update was done. I had my dealer run a vin check on the trailer and that will tell you if it has been performed. They should also be able to check their computers for all service bulletins relating to the trailer.

:agree: it is not complicated. The dealer has full access to all service bulletins at any time and can search for all bulletins by VIN that apply.

Xyzzy
09-20-2015, 12:11 PM
…219400637…

The part number you listed requires a ground harness kit, part number 219400537.

There is a flowchart that the tech uses to match trailers to roadsters. The instructions for the trailer conversion are very detailed and exhaustive.

FWIW, this is written in the instructions (ROADSTER KIT - Trailer Conversion (2010-2012)_000107913_INS61Y015S88_en):

- This instruction sheet MUST be given to the purchaser.

Brentc
09-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Thank you for the info, I will have to put a little faith on dealer and double check with them on Tuesday and ask if they were able to check and see if the grounding harness is installed as well. I'm a little nervous a s I have my first road trip planned for the following week and I want the trailer to work as it should.

Much appreciated

Brentc
09-22-2015, 05:45 PM
Ok, so I am now the proud owner of a working 2010 brp trailer. The part listed in my original,post did include the grounding harness according to the dealer. The trailer is now a 4 square plug that matches the new hitch. I didn't notice until I was home though, that I don't have backup lights. Everything else is working. Is that to be expected? I can live with it, and it passed inspection as it is. I think I made out ok, $1,500 for trailer, and a little over 800 for hitch with install and trailer wiring update part with install.

billybovine
09-22-2015, 05:56 PM
Ok, so I am now the proud owner of a working 2010 brp trailer. The part listed in my original,post did include the grounding harness according to the dealer. The trailer is now a 4 square plug that matches the new hitch. I didn't notice until I was home though, that I don't have backup lights. Everything else is working. Is that to be expected? I can live with it, and it passed inspection as it is. I think I made out ok, $1,500 for trailer, and a little over 800 for hitch with install and trailer wiring update part with install.

As part of the conversion, the backup lights and amber turn signal lights are abandoned.

Brentc
09-22-2015, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the info, can't wait to take it on our trip to Vermont next week!

SpyderAnn01
09-22-2015, 08:08 PM
I'm glad that you got your trailer wired for your trip.

Brentc
09-23-2015, 02:59 PM
Me too ann, and thank you very much for the information you provided. It really gave me a much better understanding of what I was looking for and how things should be completed.