PDA

View Full Version : Caut in rain storm in PA unable to start Spuder

jcn
09-19-2015, 07:54 PM
I am on my way to Pittsburgh. It is dark and raining heavily. I stalled machine in reverse with trailer. Now stays in reverse, although I can pish it forward or back to get it off road. Cannot start in reverse. Tried waiting an hour, holding brake down as per manual, disconnected trailer and still indicates reverse and cannot get into neutral to start. If there is anyone out there that can suggest a nightie fix in the rain......

jcn
09-19-2015, 08:02 PM
I posted similar message but too many mistakes because of cold wet hands. Sorry but if anyone knows how I could get the gears back to neutral and start it, I would be grateful. I stalled it in reverse and now it will not switch to neutral despite waiting, braking etc. Interesting that it's in R but I cold push it forward or back as if in neutral. Thanks and I will see if anyone can suggest a roadside fix before calling a tow truck

TEWKS
09-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Don't know enough about these machines to offer any real help but good luck & I hope you get it sorted.

What I'd try and I'm sure you've already done it is step on the brake, release parking brake and click the paddle to N assuming it's a semi auto?

Pat

Dan McNally
09-19-2015, 08:14 PM
Check this page out.

http://gnipsel.com/spyder/?

Search for the member listed in Pittsburgh PA - Rattigan Roger was a long time member, here who is very knowledgable - hopefully he can be of help.

Mazo EMS2
09-19-2015, 08:15 PM
So, mechanically it's not stuck in gear, but the gear indicator says it is??? You can push it around? Sorry, not familiar with the SE5 at all, but that sounds like something that should clear with a shutdown...What does it do if you try to shift it as you push it? Best of luck to you in any case.

Larry rt
09-19-2015, 08:20 PM
You can manually shift to nutraul. US wrench on shift linkage to shift.once in nutraul it should start. If not could be a clutch damage

jcn
09-19-2015, 08:25 PM
Wow! Took off parking brake. Pushed machine forward (actually my wife pushed)with foot on brake, tried to shift and press start at same time and magic happened. It started. Not sure why but happy. Next town is Brookville on Interstate 80. Will find somewhere to spend the night and dry off. Thanks all. Have tickets with friends at home opener Steelers game and now looks like we will make it.

Chupaca
09-19-2015, 08:32 PM
glad your on your way...when this happens remember to take a deep breath and go through the starting proceedure like a newbie...you have a semi automatic and therefore if the engine is off and the park brake is off it will roll in any gear cause the clutch is disengaged. It will also start in any gear as long as you apply the brakes while starting. You will be fine now the nanny does funny thing when you stall but clears up once you let the computers restart...:thumbup:

billybovine
09-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Happy you got it started.

For your future reference and others that that are reading this. A SE spyder will start in any gear. For safety reasons BRP wants you to have your foot on the brake when starting in gear. After the engine starts it will shift into neutral on it's own. It is impossible for it to shift to neutral before the engine starts because it needs oil pressure to do so. Without the engine running the HCM pump does not run and no oil pressure.

My best guess and it is only a guess. You accidently set the engine shut off switch to off. The engine stopped and the starter will not operate until the switch was switched back to on.

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg529/billybovine/th_VID_00000002_zps24130203.mp4 (http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg529/billybovine/VID_00000002_zps24130203.mp4)