PDA

View Full Version : weird light issue - any thoughts?

jwulf74
09-18-2015, 05:01 PM
I have an odd issue that is really weird. Not exactly sure when it popped up, but when I use my right blinker in the back both the brake and blinker flash alternating fast. The dash light blinks fast.

When I put my right blinker on when cruise is on, it will kill the cruise, but probably due to sensing that the brake light is on.

The super odd thing is that when I put it in reverse, the orange blinker light on the mirror comes on and all of the lights on the back (reverse, blinker, and running/brake) go out. Left side is just fine.

I have a sneaky suspicion that it happened right around the time of the Deadwood 3 wheel rally as on the way home I noticed the cruise issue.

Nothing changed in the electrical system around then. The only thing was the BUDS interface when I got the laser alignment.

I have checked all of the wiring for the alarm, HMT brake light and the trailer wiring... All seems to be in working order on those parts. i even disconnected most of it to no avail.

Any thoughts? Something weird in the Can-Bus and Buds do to the laser folks not being on the same version as the bike or something?

Bob Denman
09-18-2015, 05:13 PM
:shocked: It's got be a problem at a point where the brakelights and blinkers cross each other's paths...
Have you checked the wiring around the taillights? That would seem to be a likely place, for something like this to happen...

jwulf74
09-18-2015, 05:27 PM
As I was about to give up and tidy up the work area, I noticed that the ground wire on the HMT harness was pulled out. It looked like it wasn't soldered or crimped in properly. I pushed it back in and the problems went away. Pulled it back out and they reappeared so since i can replicate it I an comfortable that the bad ground wire in the harness was indeed the culprit, right where Bob guessed. :D

I didn't notice it at first since it was in the harness, but backed out far enough to break contact, but still in to make it look ok. Once I moved things around it popped out fully. Once i jammed it back in it made contact and fixed the issues. Now to see if the dealer can replace it under warranty or just "fix" it and forget it...

Bob Denman
09-18-2015, 05:30 PM
:shocked: You mean I got one??

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116348&stc=1
Just living proof that even a Blind Hog, can still find the occasional acorn. :thumbup:

jwulf74
09-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Yep, you got one.:2thumbs:

Another member was talking about the same issue with the blinker and cruise so I pm'd them what I found incase they have a similar or same issue.

Bfromla
09-19-2015, 02:20 AM
:congrats::clap:But whst is HMT?
Plz

jwulf74
09-19-2015, 07:32 AM
HMT I think stands for High Mount Trunk. It is the brake light from Custom Dynamics.

Lew L
09-19-2015, 10:22 AM
And this is exactly why I solder and shrink tube electrical connections.( even when its a pain)

Electrical conection problems cause::::

Kaos

2RTsGV
08-25-2017, 07:40 AM
I recently had installed the custom dynamics high mount brake light with blinkers on both bikes. The wife's installed without issue ... alas mine not so smoothly. When the right hand side blinker was applied, the rear right brake light, reverse light & blinker would hyperflash as well as the left side reverse light. The left side blinker when applied worked perfectly. Also when the cruise was on and the right blinker was turned on the cruise would shut off automatically!

We disconnected the lightbar and still the problem remained so this quickly became a real head scratcher for us and I thought I was going to be taking a trip to the dealer to get it resolved.

On the off chance that maybe someone had experienced this problem before, I searched the forums and lo & behold, here it was! (what are the odds huh?)

Last night, took off the rear panel and removed the right brake light to checkout the harness and there it was, the ground wire connector was pushed halfway out of the socket hence not making a connection. Pushed it back in, reconnected and Presto .. the hyperflash is gone and all is working perfectly.

I just wanted to pass on my thanks to you guys that (1) had this problem and posted the experience / solution here (2) take the time & effort to post solutions to problems when found to help others.

What a great community we have here.

Take care and ride safe everyone

ARtraveler
08-25-2017, 04:13 PM
These machines can be on the "technical" side. Glad you found your solution quickly and mostly painlessly.

Good catch Bob. :bowdown::bowdown: