PDA

View Full Version : what exactly does the nanny do???

lesa
09-18-2015, 01:58 PM
i know its a safety feature--what does it physically do when it kicks in?--my husband has had a wheel off the ground twice and he says nothing happened?

blacklightning
09-18-2015, 02:01 PM
i know its a safety feature--what does its physically do when it kicks in?--my husband has had a wheel off the ground twice and he says nothing happened?
Not sure if it was the nanny, but my brakes have a squeal sometimes when you lightly apply them. Well, about 3 weeks ago I was doing some agressive riding on the Snake (hwy 421). I continued to hear a squeal whenever I went into a corner too hot. I wasn't applying the brakes, so I slowed things down to see if it happened. No squeal. I figured that whenever I was going into a curve too fast, it would apply brakes just before it was about to do something dangerous. That is just a guess, but it is all I have.

ARtraveler
09-18-2015, 02:06 PM
There are not a lot of bells and whistles when the "nanny" kicks in. Similar to AWD vehicles, an icon on the dash in the shape of the :ani29: lights up for a second or two.

The video that came with the :ani29: has a great explanation on the operation of the nanny.

When the :spyder2: computer detects an anomaly, it applies braking where necessary to regain control.

Bob Denman
09-18-2015, 02:18 PM
If Nanny has decided that you're having too much fun; she'll reduce power, and apply the brakes as needed...
It'll just sort of feel as if the power has been reduced. ;)
It'll come right back; once she's satisfied! :thumbup:

lesa
09-18-2015, 02:20 PM
There are not a lot of bells and whistles when the "nanny" kicks in. Similar to AWD vehicles, an icon on the dash in the shape of the :ani29: lights up for a second or two.

The video that came with the :ani29: has a great explanation on the operation of the nanny.

When the :spyder2: computer detects an anomaly, it applies braking where necessary to regain control. so it applies brakes-isnt that dangerous in a curve?--im a newbie and know nothing!--i read somewhere it can also cut power to a limp mode? isnt this dangerous if ur on the interstate or something??

ottawa-rider
09-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Limp Mode is different, it is caused by the electronics detecting some potential technical problem with the Spyder.

I believe it limits max RPM, and yes, I suppose it can happen while on the road.

Bob Denman
09-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Yes; it applies the brakes individually, and as needed; in a curve...
How else could it get the bike back under control? :dontknow:

JayBros
09-18-2015, 02:40 PM
When I've dived into corners too fast I've felt the throttle killed/reduced. FWIW, I've two nice corners I've attempted to lift a wheel on, as yet to date unsuccessfully, but they are neighborhood streets so I must use discretion and the Spyder has just powered off in exhilarating fashion.

Marker
09-18-2015, 02:48 PM
Rode the Dragon and went into a corner a little too hot. The Nanny kicked in reduced engime power and the brakes were applied to each wheel with different brake pressure.
The engine power was restored and the brakes released when the spyder was slowed down and under control again.

I got caught in very bad rain storm while riding my 2010 RT SE5 I rode underneath an over pass .so I went from dry pavement to very wet pavement and the spyder started to hydroplane.
The Nanny kicked in and kept the spyder straight. Everything happened so fast that I could not have reacted fast enough. I finally was able to pull over.

daveinva
09-18-2015, 02:50 PM
Best way to describe how the Nanny feels is recall those old amusement park car rides that go around the track on a metal rail, yet still had some play in the wheel to make you feel like you were actually driving?

It's like that. One moment you're going around the curve, the next moment you wheels hit that invisible "rail" that safely bumps and slows you down.

Plenty of threads on here about how it feels, how to ride to avoid it, technical upgrades to the Spyder to help minimize its appearance, and most important of all, why you really, really, really do want the Nanny when she shows up.

Chupaca
09-18-2015, 02:58 PM
it's not what she does so much as what she keeps you from doing...:yikes: some say she kills the fun but she is trying to keep you safe. She works well and you can skirt her on some things keeping the fun factor going...:thumbup:

asp125
09-18-2015, 03:46 PM
Nanny is the "act your age" feature. ;) Although, it teaches you to ride smoothly because a smooth rider can keep Nanny quiet for a while longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

KJWEB
09-18-2015, 03:50 PM
My "nanny", sits in the passenger seat and slaps my helmet. That's how I know it "kicked" in. :D

billybovine
09-18-2015, 03:57 PM
There is no wheel in the air sensor. So it is quite easy to lift a wheel in the air and not trigger the Vehicle Stability System.

cuznjohn
09-18-2015, 04:01 PM
sorta like being married to a woman that closes her eyes during sex, because she hates seeing you have fun

MouthPiece
09-18-2015, 04:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2e4l93BBku0

MouthPiece
09-18-2015, 04:22 PM
ALSO THIS:

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-18-2015, 04:50 PM
She will also keep you from accelerating too quickly from a stop and turn like at a stop sign or traffic light. Once you're headed straight she lets go.

garb55
09-18-2015, 06:29 PM
There is no wheel in the air sensor. So it is quite easy to lift a wheel in the air and not trigger the Vehicle Stability System.

There are speed sensors on all the wheels
If you lift a front wheel it will start to slow down in the air
Nanny spots this and starts to set the brake on the opposite side
This puts you wheel back down
I know I've done it alot

lesa
09-18-2015, 06:47 PM
There is no wheel in the air sensor. So it is quite easy to lift a wheel in the air and not trigger the Vehicle Stability System. lol i guess i assumed that having a front wheel in the air would be unsafe

lesa
09-18-2015, 06:51 PM
I know I've done it alot umm well maybe he's just an idiot and didnt realize it happened lol---in his defense he's used to 2 wheels and was just learning to ride my 3 ---so i've been worried about curves but i dont really have to is what ur saying? the nanny will save my hiney everytime? --im a newbie and have only ridden pillion up to now

lesa
09-18-2015, 07:01 PM
ALSO THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2e4l93BBku0 thanks so much!--

loisk
09-18-2015, 07:04 PM
I think of my nanny as the 'invisible hand' which pops up in front of me, slows me down, then lets me go on my way - safely. Love it.

lesa
09-18-2015, 07:06 PM
sorta like being married to a woman that closes her eyes during sex, because she hates seeing you have fun lol!----and i love ur reflective strips--i always said it looked more like a dragon's face than a spiders

900Dave
09-18-2015, 07:14 PM
She will also keep you from accelerating too quickly from a stop and turn like at a stop sign or traffic light. Once you're headed straight she lets go.

This is the part of the nanny that bothers me the most! I pull out and want go and the nanny says (OH NO!)

garb55
09-19-2015, 12:29 AM
umm well maybe he's just an idiot and didnt realize it happened lol---in his defense he's used to 2 wheels and was just learning to ride my 3 ---so i've been worried about curves but i dont really have to is what ur saying? the nanny will save my hiney everytime? --im a newbie and have only ridden pillion up to now

If you are really really crazy
Nanny can not save your butt
There are limits to how fast Nanny can correct stupidity
Not trying to put anyone down
But if you try to take a 25 MPH turn at 100 MPH
Nanny will give up
and you can kiss you a$$ goodbye

billybovine
09-19-2015, 08:53 AM
I know I've done it alot

That's true. Wheel speed differential will trigger the VSS. But if you are smooth. You can lift a wheel and never trigger the VSS.

SailnDive
09-19-2015, 01:21 PM

This video was a welcome explanation of how the VSS functions. But anyone that has competed in motorkhanas or dirt track racing would know a vehicle with a VSS would not be able to compete...because hand brake turns, front end throws and over-steer cornering are a required part of the skills needed to go fast. The VSS would make you hopelessly slow. No computer control needed for me thanks! I just wish there was a way to turn it off.

Bob Denman
09-19-2015, 02:49 PM
...And the Spyders weren't built for that intended usage... :thumbup:

Pampurrs
09-19-2015, 02:55 PM
This video was a welcome explanation of how the VSS functions. But anyone that has competed in motorkhanas or dirt track racing would know a vehicle with a VSS would not be able to compete...because hand brake turns, front end throws and over-steer cornering are a required part of the skills needed to go fast. The VSS would make you hopelessly slow. No computer control needed for me thanks! I just wish there was a way to turn it off.

So you're planning on racing your Spyder?

Pam

Bob Denman
09-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Dave,
What are you driving for a car (or truck)? vSS-style systems are becoming prevalent in an awful lot of them today... My Missus has a MINI, and if you start having too much fun in it; that version of Nanny will also shut you down... :shocked:

And You would think that a car like that would be perfect for the use that you've described.

SailnDive
09-19-2015, 10:46 PM
Dave,
What are you driving for a car (or truck)? vSS-style systems are becoming prevalent in an awful lot of them today... My Missus has a MINI, and if you start having too much fun in it; that version of Nanny will also shut you down... :shocked:

And You would think that a car like that would be perfect for the use that you've described.

And that was exactly what we used for motorkhanas, dirt tracks and rallies...a 1968 Mini Cooper S, fully race modified and a barrel of fun to drive. It did have what might be considered a computer...A Halda resetable tripmeter to accurately measure distance traveled but the driver controlled everything else...as it should be!

109spyder
09-20-2015, 04:35 AM
I know I've done it alot

Same here, but in the video above it makes out you can't lift the wheel off the ground when the stability control is on..............which is always ON.

Bob Denman
09-20-2015, 09:21 AM
And that was exactly what we used for motorkhanas, dirt tracks and rallies...a 1968 Mini Cooper S, fully race modified and a barrel of fun to drive. It did have what might be considered a computer...A Halda resetable tripmeter to accurately measure distance traveled but the driver controlled everything else...as it should be!

;) Hers is a 2012; complete with all of the computers that you love to hate... :shocked:

jephillips44
09-21-2015, 08:18 AM
Not sure if it was the nanny, but my brakes have a squeal sometimes when you lightly apply them. Well, about 3 weeks ago I was doing some agressive riding on the Snake (hwy 421). I continued to hear a squeal whenever I went into a corner too hot. I wasn't applying the brakes, so I slowed things down to see if it happened. No squeal. I figured that whenever I was going into a curve too fast, it would apply brakes just before it was about to do something dangerous. That is just a guess, but it is all I have.
I rode part of the snake this weekend. I am a new spyder rt owner and was not sure how to handle it. I thought I was going too fast and braked more than I do on my VStar. This was my first experience on a curvy road. I think I really need to learn to trust it. I don't think it went into nanny mode. Still a great ride. Maybe I should have tried it alone instead of with a benefit group ride.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Highwayman2013
09-21-2015, 08:44 AM

Too bad this isn't 1968. I like having nanny there to save me occasionally.

SailnDive
09-25-2015, 11:10 AM
Too bad this isn't 1968. I like having nanny there to save me occasionally.

And for those that are comfortable with a computer making decisions for them...that's OK. And as I am learning the handling traits of the Spyder, it is good to have the Nanny backing me up. But ask any expert that is developing artificial intelligence and they will say that computers are far behind the human brain in reasoning. I'll just bet that I can take that non computerized 1968 Mini and skunk a 2015 mini in a rally or motorkanna. And those are driving skills and handling traits that are directly required for driving on the roads of WV during most winter days. Sometimes it's opposite lock and more throttle that's required to get you out of a situation, not brakes, and well trained human brains are good at determining that. I don't understand all of the flack that I'm getting over this. I'm not asking anyone to give up their computer...I'm just asking that I not be forced to use one. Using computers to change valve timing, fuel metering and other performance functions makes some sense... but having it apply brakes, reduce throttle and steer is just total nonsense, IMHO.

Bob Denman
09-25-2015, 11:22 AM
Dave,
You're not being forced to use one...
Vote with your wallet, and buy a Trike (Conventional, or Reversed!); that doesn't have it! :thumbup:
I don't mean this to sound horrible, but you bought the bike knowing that it had one... :dontknow:

MouthPiece
09-25-2015, 11:55 AM
It was my understanding (or at least I have read other threads in the past) where
the VSS/Nanny could be disconnected, shut off or some how rendered dysfunctional.

Chris

Bob Denman
09-25-2015, 12:05 PM
Not shut off...
But tricked into believing that things are not what they seem to be. :shocked:
DrewNJ worked on this, and I think that he had a fair amount of success...
You could PM him, and pick his brain a bit; I'd personally caution against it. nojoke

SailnDive
09-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Dave,
You're not being forced to use one...
Vote with your wallet, and buy a Trike (Conventional, or Reversed!); that doesn't have it! :thumbup:
I don't mean this to sound horrible, but you bought the bike knowing that it had one... :dontknow:

Actually I was not aware of how much control the Nanny has. That's my fault, I should have looked closer but I just assumed. I am working on a design to change my Honda into a three wheeler. Reverse may be the greatest challenge. I really like nearly everything about the Spyder. I just hope that the computer is more reliable than the ones on ALL of my other vehicles that have computers.
BTW Bob, The screen name is sail n DIVE. I.E., I'm a sailor and a skydiver... hence the moniker SailnDive. ;) :yes:

Bob Denman
09-25-2015, 01:31 PM
:opps: Bad eyeballs.. thanks for the correction! :thumbup:
I blow things up to 125%, and STILL find myself getting tripped-up! :banghead:

Pampurrs
09-25-2015, 02:18 PM
I'm just curious, what is it that you want your Spyder to do that the nanny prevents it from doing? What enjoyment are you being deprived of because of the nanny? :dontknow:

Pam

MouthPiece
09-25-2015, 02:43 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?13409-Do-anyone-no-how-to-eliminate-rev-limiter&highlight=Nanny+disconnected