PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Mountain Spyder Rally???

TommyBwell
09-16-2015, 09:59 PM
I'm curious why no one is talking about this event? It wasn't even on our calendar until I put it on last night. It's an official BRP event, they are expecting 800 to 1,000 Spyders and its in the middle of some of the best riding in the country. I'm a new Spyder rider and this will be my first Spyder rally. So what's up? Is it because of Spyderquest? Was it a bad event in previous years? I'm signed up and excited. Am I alone?

blacklightning
09-17-2015, 07:00 AM
I'm curious why no one is talking about this event? It wasn't even on our calendar until I put it on last night. It's an official BRP event, they are expecting 800 to 1,000 Spyders and its in the middle of some of the best riding in the country. I'm a new Spyder rider and this will be my first Spyder rally. So what's up? Is it because of Spyderquest? Was it a bad event in previous years? I'm signed up and excited. Am I alone?
I think a part is because the organizer is the same one who did the one in Myrtle Beach, and it was a bust (in my opinion). But, I go to the mountains at least twice a year, and the chance to do it and ride with other spyders makes it worth going for me. To me, the destination, ride and views makes a rally fun. Flat, straight roads in 90+ degree heat is not fun for me. That is what Myrtle offered. The only draw was the venders (which left early) and the ocean (which you can't see and ride at the same time). Short answer, I will be in Fontana, and I am excited to go.

TommyBwell
09-17-2015, 07:48 AM
I think a part is because the organizer is the same one who did the one in Myrtle Beach, and it was a bust (in my opinion). But, I go to the mountains at least twice a year, and the chance to do it and ride with other spyders makes it worth going for me. To me, the destination, ride and views makes a rally fun. Flat, straight roads in 90+ degree heat is not fun for me. That is what Myrtle offered. The only draw was the venders (which left early) and the ocean (which you can't see and ride at the same time). Short answer, I will be in Fontana, and I am excited to go.
I figured there had to be something. That said the only night I could get a room at Fontana was Thursday so it seems people are going. I'm going to stay close by and on Wednesday so I will be there early Thursday.

ravseren
09-17-2015, 09:17 AM
I'll be going, my first also. I've been to Americade and don't expect this to live up to that. I'll commute from Knoxville for the rally though.
Seth

blacklightning
09-17-2015, 09:22 AM
I figured there had to be something. That said the only night I could get a room at Fontana was Thursday so it seems people are going. I'm going to stay close by and on Wednesday so I will be there early Thursday.
My wife and I will be heading up from Raleigh with another couple on Wednesday. We plan on taking our time and making a day of the trip over. Once there, we will probably check out some of the vendors, but mainly ride some of the beautiful roads in the area. As I said before, I have been going with the M109R group for the past 7 years, and love the area. So I will be acting as somewhat guide for the other couple. Probably going to hit the hot spots like the Dragon and Cherohola before too many of the crazies get there on their crotch rockets. I will be taking it easy this time since the wife will be with me. Here are a few photos from past years on the dragon.

TommyBwell
09-17-2015, 11:36 AM
I had a Mini Cooper and we had a rally there. Much like the Spyder they were something you didn't see everyday. It was so cool to see so many of them in one place. I hope the turnout is good.

cycledude
09-17-2015, 07:31 PM
When is the smokey mountain event I can't find any date

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

blacklightning
09-17-2015, 07:58 PM

The official dates are 10/22-10/25. We plan on coming up on 10/21 and heading home 10/24.

cycledude
09-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Thanks we will be there chet

Deer Slayer
09-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Myrtle Beach is flat and the riding sucks. The city does not want cycle type vehicles. They want SUVs full of kids and golf clubs. My Spyder will always point toward the mountains.

YIRYDE
09-17-2015, 08:42 PM

Here is the link to the event, http://www.smokymountainspyderrally.com/

TommyBwell
09-17-2015, 08:58 PM
Here is the link to the event, http://www.smokymountainspyderrally.com/
I guess that would be a good thing to have put in the initial post. Thanks Y.

pwm
09-19-2015, 09:00 AM
I'll be there. It was a decent event last year.

PMK
09-19-2015, 09:43 AM
We will not be there but did inquire with Fontana Village about it.

The weekend of the event has three possible events for us. The wife made the choice and it was not the Spyder event. No reason other than she preferred to go to the bicycle event she has attended many years before.

Have fun.

PK

Cavman
09-22-2015, 08:13 PM
I have also been wondering what there has been NOTHING on SpyderLovers about this event? It's the only BRP sponsored event in the SE.

I'll be there Wednesday thru Sunday staying at the Tumbling Waters campground. I have reserved a small cabin. It looks to be about 20 miles from the event? I have been looking forward to it and wondering who else may be attending?

Guess a poll is in order to see who is going?

See y'all there! :yes:

blacklightning
09-22-2015, 08:23 PM
We will be staying at the microtel in robbinsville from 10/21-10/24

TommyBwell
09-22-2015, 10:16 PM
I'm staying there on the 21st also. I got the last room at Fontana for the 22nd. After I'll be sleeping in my frunk.

spyderjo333
09-23-2015, 04:10 PM
We are thinking of going to the Smoky Mountains in the Spring. We are debating on making it a 2 day ride out there or using a trailer and hauling it with the truck. If we
do that we will park the truck and trailer and ride around. Any advice? Do you think a cabin with lots of parking space is better than a hotel? Not even sure the hotel would
allow us to leave the truck and trailer for an extended period of time. We just came back from our first overnight trip to Hilton Head and our max time on the bike looks to
be 200 to maybe 225 miles for one day. We'd love to see Gatlinburg since we haven't been in 34 years! It's over 400 miles away.

TommyBwell
09-23-2015, 08:02 PM
We are thinking of going to the Smoky Mountains in the Spring. We are debating on making it a 2 day ride out there or using a trailer and hauling it with the truck. If we
do that we will park the truck and trailer and ride around. Any advice? Do you think a cabin with lots of parking space is better than a hotel? Not even sure the hotel would
allow us to leave the truck and trailer for an extended period of time. We just came back from our first overnight trip to Hilton Head and our max time on the bike looks to
be 200 to maybe 225 miles for one day. We'd love to see Gatlinburg since we haven't been in 34 years! It's over 400 miles away.
Here is a link that may be of help to you and others going to the event.

http://smokymountainrider.com/blue-ridge-motorcycle-rides-stay/

blacklightning
09-23-2015, 10:25 PM
My suggestion would be to trailer to Maggie Valley and stay there. I prfer to ride, but if you must, there are plenty of hotels that will let you park a trailer. From there, we normally ride from 200-350 miles a day, and still do not cover all we want. And this has been every year for a 5 day stretch each year. We been doing this for the past 7 years, and we can't get enough.

spyderjo333
09-25-2015, 06:39 AM

Blacklightning, do you think that hotel would allow a truck and trailer to stay in the parking lot? Do you know how large their parking lot is? Thanks.

blacklightning
09-25-2015, 07:40 AM
Blacklightning, do you think that hotel would allow a truck and trailer to stay in the parking lot? Do you know how large their parking lot is? Thanks.
I can not say for certain. Although I have been by the hotel on numerous occasions, I do not recall the size of their parking lot. Most hotels in the area do allow for truck and trailer parking.

spyderjo333
09-26-2015, 09:55 AM
We have plenty of time to think on where to stay. We want to do the train in Bryson City while in the area. We also want to go over the mountains to
Gatlinburg. We haven't been there in 34 years (BK--before kids). We did Asheville in August. We were glad we took the truck (a last minute rain decision)
since Route 26 was in bad shape with potholes. We went over the mountains to Johnson City, where my MIL was from and found my husband's great aunt's property.
We wouldn't have easily taken the Spyder up the rocky driveway. That is why I feel like taking the truck
with a trailer for the Spyder makes sense. We are originally from Maryland and never rode a motorcycle in mountain areas.

blacklightning
09-26-2015, 11:45 AM
We have plenty of time to think on where to stay. We want to do the train in Bryson City while in the area. We also want to go over the mountains to
Gatlinburg. We haven't been there in 34 years (BK--before kids). We did Asheville in August. We were glad we took the truck (a last minute rain decision)
since Route 26 was in bad shape with potholes. We went over the mountains to Johnson City, where my MIL was from and found my husband's great aunt's property.
We wouldn't have easily taken the Spyder up the rocky driveway. That is why I feel like taking the truck
with a trailer for the Spyder makes sense. We are originally from Maryland and never rode a motorcycle in mountain areas.
I think you will enjoy yourself. We stayed at the two wheel in on my first trip there. We have also stayed in some great cabins in the Gatlinburg area. The past 4 years we have been staying in hotels in the Maggie valley area. Anywhere is great for riding if you know your way around. But if you wait too long you may have to drive quite a bit to get near the rally. I will probably spend very little time at the rally, but I just like to stay where I can ride all day, grab a bite to eat, and get back to my room before dark. I know the area very well, but I don't care to be on those roads in the dark. That goes for bike, trike, or car.
For me, the worst place to be is in Pigeon forge if it starts to rain. Traffic stands still. And don't dare try to use GPS to find an alternate route to get to your destination, it might just take you down a road that was ment to be a goat path. I tried it twice, it didn't go well.

spyderjo333
09-26-2015, 03:42 PM
Blacklightning, thanks once again for the info. We haven't been to Pigeon Forge for 34 years either I think. I don't remember if hubby and I did that then. We probably did. Saw Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge for the first time in the early 1970s camping with my parents. I'm sure it's changed.

ulflyer
09-27-2015, 06:35 AM
Several days ago I pulled up Microtel on Travelosity and they were full. You might have to shop around Robbinsville to find
a place. We got two of the last three rooms avail at Phillips.

As mentioned above, theres plenty of motels in Maggie
valley.

Hecam17
09-27-2015, 06:50 AM
Group of 8 on 4 Spyders leaving from Cartersville area for the event, staying in Robbinsville near the offsite vendors. Find us on Meetup.com, "Wind Cruisers", or the Georgia section of these forums. Still have a few ryders thinking about it but our hotel is full too.

jtoro1
09-27-2015, 07:20 AM
Anybody staying at the Quality inn in Andrew NC I will be there 21-25 they have rooms it is 8 miles from Robinsonville. Anyone from FL going, PM me

Roadster Renovations
10-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Some of us vendors will be setting up in Robbinsville, just down the mountain. Stop in and say Hi!

http://dochumphreys.wix.com/roadster#!specials/c16up

Hope to see you!!

Deer Slayer
10-03-2015, 08:01 PM
I will be in my Bunkhouse camper at Ironhorse MC Resort. located at Stecoh, NC off NC28. See ya.:ohyea:

TommyBwell
10-10-2015, 12:59 PM
I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!! Right now they are showing weather at the beginning of the week as sunny with highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's. I shure hope that holds out through the weekend. You can't get much better than that.

rick_w
10-13-2015, 06:00 PM
We will be Vendors there at Fontana this year. We will be at Fontana Resort to set up on Wednesday afternoon.

We will be in Pigeon Forge at the Vacation Lodge this Saturday through next Wednesday Morning.
If you are in the Pigeon Forge area stop by and see us. You will see our trailer out front.
We plan on doing some riding for a few days before the Spyder Rally at Fontana.

If anyone wants something specific brought down let us know now. Or if you are going to be in the area early and want it before the rally let us know.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Rick
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/rmwiles/2014%20Pictures/Motorcycle%20Pictures/RickampTeresaDealsGap0914-C_zpscd709b9c.jpg

maliamd
10-13-2015, 07:02 PM
Glad to hear lots of people are coming up to enjoy this magnificent area. Some of the best riding in the country. I live in Maggie Valley so if anyone needs anything or has questions do not hesitate to ask. Ride safe and enjoy these beautiful mountains!!:ohyea:

blacklightning
10-14-2015, 07:46 AM
I am very excited about next week. Some of my M109r brothers were up there this past weekend. After looking at there pictures and talking to them, it looks like the higher elevations will be past their peak, but there may be some good color left in the lower areas. Hope to see and meet many of you there.:yes:

TommyBwell
10-17-2015, 10:38 PM
The weather just keeps getting better and better. I bought a heated jacket liner and double controller from Gordon's Heated Clothing and I'm going to leave them at home. At least I'm ready when it does get cold.

TommyBwell
10-20-2015, 06:57 PM
I'm shooting out in the AM. Staying at the Microtel in Robbinsville tomorrow and Fontana Thursday and Friday. I am fired up!!

blacklightning
10-20-2015, 08:36 PM
I'm shooting out in the AM. Staying at the Microtel in Robbinsville tomorrow and Fontana Thursday and Friday. I am fired up!!
:agree:same here. Packing now!

TommyBwell
10-20-2015, 09:32 PM
:agree:same here. Packing now!
Me too. It's going to be cold leaving in the morning and warming up pretty good which is true for most of the event. I'm struggling to figure out what all to bring.

whitjim10
10-20-2015, 10:43 PM
We have a 2 br cabin on property the same cabin we had last year. Friday and Saturday night:ohyea::ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:

blacklightning
10-21-2015, 08:11 PM
Me too. It's going to be cold leaving in the morning and warming up pretty good which is true for most of the event. I'm struggling to figure out what all to bring.
Definitely was a cold one this morning. Sorry I didn't introduce myself to you earlier today. We talked on the elevator up to the 3rd floor. Talked about the F3T. Maybe I will see you tomorrow before you head to Fontana. Got to get my sleep on now so I will be ready for the cont. breakfast (I love free food:D).

Deer Slayer
10-21-2015, 08:27 PM
Some of us vendors will be setting up in Robbinsville, just down the mountain. Stop in and say Hi!

http://dochumphreys.wix.com/roadster#!specials/c16up

Hope to see you!!
Good to meet up with you all today. See ya..

Roadster Renovations
10-21-2015, 10:55 PM
Good to meet up with you all today. See ya..

Yeah, it was! And see, I do read your posts! Love the way you have your bike setup!! Good times, and thanks for the tip on that restaurant!!

Deer Slayer
10-22-2015, 07:23 PM
They got a bear at the ralley! I was able to photo bomb him.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118413&stc=1

Ray L
02-06-2016, 10:19 PM
Weather was perfect. Riding was excellent. Had a fantastic time riding through that beautiful country. Events other than riding were pretty lame. Build up for registration - BRP has a fantastic gift for the first xxx who register. Gift was a rather lame pin. But the fellowship of riders, the quality of the hotel, the hotel staff, and the leaders leading the rides - all were great.