PDA

View Full Version : Any Windows XP Gurus out there? If so, HELP!!!

Joe T.
09-12-2015, 03:11 PM
All,

I have Windows XP as my operating system on the computer that controls my CNC router. Several months ago I hit the 'emergency STOP' while Windows and my control software (WinCNC) were open and launched. I wanted to climb up on the machine and fiddle with something. The quickest way to make sure the machine doesn't do something unexpected is to 'kill it.' So, I did.

When I was through fiddling, I tried to re-start the computer and launch Windows XP. It would not launch and kept giving me an error code. I don't remember what that was, but it was something I did not know how to fix.

So, off to the local computer fix-it store I go - - - - -

(BEFORE SOMEONE 'SUGGESTS' THE OBVIOUS, NO, I CANNOT UPGRADE TO WINDOWS VISTA/7/8/10!!!! The router only works with WinCNC and WinCNC is a complicated piece of software which includes two daughter boards, unique settings, and much more computer expertise than I have - or want! It would cost several thousand dollars to upgrade the computer, WinCNC, etc.)

After a week or so the local guys 'fixed it.' They reloaded XP. Unfortunately, I learned when I got it back to the shop, they did not 'turn on' the USB ports. So, back to the computer fix-it guys'

Hummmmm----

OK, XP will launch and all of the USB ports work. That's good, isn't it!?!?!?!?!?

Maybe not - - -

It now takes a long time for Windows XP to shut down!! The longer Windows is open, the LONGER it takes to shut XP down!!!!!

What is going on????? What is causing this?

Coincidentally, I think, I am now having problems with my CNC programs. I am not sure if this started when Windows crashed, or if the CNC program problems are independent of the Windows issue.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Joe T.

Magdave
09-12-2015, 04:07 PM
Problems like that are very difficult to fix online but I will take a swing. Do you have all the service packs re installed? I assume you know Microsoft quit supporting that system last year.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3
Something smells fishy USB ports are automatically enabled but I also suspect you may have meant Com ports. Those are serial ports that usually interface with equipment. COM1,COM2 etc. There is also a baud rate (speed)(9600,14400 etc) associated with each of those ports. Those settings are critical for the interfaces to work correctly.

There are also temp files that build up and will slow the system do a disk clean up. Open the command prompt in ADMIN mode and type sfc /scannow. That will verify and repair your system files. Also open your C: drives properties and schedule a CHKDSK on start up make sure to check the box to fix file system. All in all it sound like you have a memory leak occurring with one of your applications that is slowing it down the longer it runs.

This is a good lesson to make sure you back up your systems on a regular basis. External Drives are cheap enough these days.

Bob Denman
09-12-2015, 05:00 PM
I run Windows 7 Pro. here, so all that I can do is wish you the best of luck! :shocked:

cuznjohn
09-12-2015, 06:36 PM
sounds to me like a lot of programs are opening in the background when the machine starts. this will cause it to run slow and take longer to shut down waiting for the other programs to respond and shut down. if you go to the start menu and open the run tab. in there type msconfig and hit enter, this will open a blue box, on this box hit selective start up and configure you system to only start the programs you want to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMqTnEJ24-A

wiredgeorge
09-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Try hitting crl, alt del when things slow. Look at Task Manager then select processes. See if anything is eating memory. I run XP with latest service pack and I have a memory leak in my comms software package. I can stop it and continue to run fine and then must reboot to restart the comms package so I can connect to the internet. The performance tab on the Task Manager will let you look at how much memory is being eaten.

jaherbst
09-12-2015, 07:24 PM
Come on guys. Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows 7 is so yesterday! MAC is the only way to Fly! Try it, you will never go back. Most of the old Windows is no longer supported.;)

Jack

Bob Denman
09-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Jack,
I'm sitting here; trying to use an I-Pad... :banghead:
My mind cannot get wrapped around thse devices. :shocked:

JerryB
09-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Hi Jack,

Re: MAC is the only way to Fly!

A number of years ago I did some research, ask a lot of questions & bought a Mac.

~ 9 months later I could not get rid of it fast enough.

The Mac is great for graphics, the internet & email.

But IMO it is terrible running MS Word & my Brother Label Maker ( which I use all of the time in my business ).

There is a lot that I truly despise about Windows, but it is where I'm staying.

YMMV,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I also joined the local Mac club & took a bunch of their classes. All they ever talked about was how to organize my photos. I DO NOT WANT MY PHOTOS ORGANIZED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to get some work accomplished.

Magdave
09-12-2015, 10:01 PM
Well Jack I got 4 PC's here with Win 10 on them and they run just fine. No I Fruits for me:firstplace:

Bob Denman
09-13-2015, 09:52 AM
I think that Dave and John have given you some decent advice... :thumbup:
Please le us know if it works!

Magdave
09-13-2015, 10:44 AM
sounds to me like a lot of programs are opening in the background when the machine starts. this will cause it to run slow and take longer to shut down waiting for the other programs to respond and shut down. if you go to the start menu and open the run tab. in there type msconfig and hit enter, this will open a blue box, on this box hit selective start up and configure you system to only start the programs you want to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMqTnEJ24-A

I agree that is the first thing I do after install to minimize the memory bloat. Only allow the programs you absolutely need to run at start up. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-13-2015, 11:37 AM
It would have been nice to know exactly how his system had been configured; prior to when the :cus: hit the fan! :shocked:

If this computer is doing only ONE thing; there's a whole bunch of chores that it doesn't need to remember anything about!

Joe T.
09-13-2015, 01:16 PM
Problems like that are very difficult to fix online but I will take a swing. Do you have all the service packs re installed? I assume you know Microsoft quit supporting that system last year.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3
Something smells fishy USB ports are automatically enabled but I also suspect you may have meant Com ports. Those are serial ports that usually interface with equipment. COM1,COM2 etc. There is also a baud rate (speed)(9600,14400 etc) associated with each of those ports. Those settings are critical for the interfaces to work correctly.

There are also temp files that build up and will slow the system do a disk clean up. Open the command prompt in ADMIN mode and type sfc /scannow. That will verify and repair your system files. Also open your C: drives properties and schedule a CHKDSK on start up make sure to check the box to fix file system. All in all it sound like you have a memory leak occurring with one of your applications that is slowing it down the longer it runs.

This is a good lesson to make sure you back up your systems on a regular basis. External Drives are cheap enough these days.

Yes, I meant com ports.

I Googled "Windows XP Very Slow to Shut Down" this morning. I found some interesting info regarding this problem. However, the solutions require getting into the registry files. I am not qualified to do that. Here is the website:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-performance/how-i-will-fix-windows-xp-slow-shut-down-process/22baa1bc-928f-46f4-ae51-3ea199b15c0b

"There are also temp files that build up and will slow the system do a disk clean up. Open the command prompt in ADMIN mode and type sfc /scannow. That will verify and repair your system files. Also open your C: drives properties and schedule a CHKDSK on start up make sure to check the box to fix file system. All in all it sound like you have a memory leak occurring with one of your applications that is slowing it down the longer it runs."

I will do as much of this as I can. There are only a few executable programs on the machine - Window XP (including all of the normal accessories such as Paint - which I use a lot for screen capture), WinCNC, some diagnostic software for the servo drives, and McAfee.

Regards,
Joe T.

Netminder
09-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Working in IT I can tell you the registry is not as scary :yikes:as you might think! The thing that makes it scary is it is huge, but if you follow the directions precisely and always back up the registry keys (save it to your desktop in case you need to import it back into the registry)you are working on, you can do amazing things in there. That being said if you are not confident enough , find a tech friend who is. Suggestion above are good, but if you want to get to the nitty gritty, the registry is the place. Wish I could suggest more, but with out actually seeing the PC and what it is doing it is hard to TS. Good luck.:thumbup:

Spydel
09-13-2015, 04:16 PM
If you want to change the registry to clear the pagefile at shutdown without using the registry editor
or the policy snap-ins you can do so by importing a file into the registry.

See the topic labeled "Clearing the Page File on Shutdown" at the below link. There is a link to
download the registry import file at the end of the topic.

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#clear_page_file

Good Luck!

Magdave
09-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Make sure you have all updates installed AND BACK UP THEN RUN THIS

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6676

Joe T.
09-13-2015, 07:14 PM
Working in IT I can tell you the registry is not as scary :yikes:as you might think! The thing that makes it scary is it is huge, but if you follow the directions precisely and always back up the registry keys (save it to your desktop in case you need to import it back into the registry)you are working on, you can do amazing things in there. That being said if you are not confident enough , find a tech friend who is. Suggestion above are good, but if you want to get to the nitty gritty, the registry is the place. Wish I could suggest more, but with out actually seeing the PC and what it is doing it is hard to TS. Good luck.:thumbup:

Ahh, can you meet me at my shop in Winfield, KS next Wednesday? I'll buy you lunch!!!

;-)

;-)

Regards,
Joe T.

Joe T.
09-13-2015, 07:16 PM
If you want to change the registry to clear the pagefile at shutdown without using the registry editor
or the policy snap-ins you can do so by importing a file into the registry.

See the topic labeled "Clearing the Page File on Shutdown" at the below link. There is a link to
download the registry import file at the end of the topic.

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#clear_page_file

Good Luck!

Thanks.

I believe I am going to Best Buy tomorrow and talk to their 'Geek Squad.' Maybe one of them has a clue, especially after I show them the various website that speak to this issue.

Regards,
Joe T.

Netminder
09-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Ahh, can you meet me at my shop in Winfield, KS next Wednesday? I'll buy you lunch!!!

;-)

;-)

Regards,
Joe T.
Wish I could, but only have 1/2 hour for lunch! :joke::doorag:

NorCalBud
09-14-2015, 05:26 PM
I will do as much of this as I can. There are only a few executable programs on the machine - Window XP (including all of the normal accessories such as Paint - which I use a lot for screen capture), WinCNC, some diagnostic software for the servo drives, and McAfee.

Regards,
Joe T.

Joe, you mention that you use McAfee....It's been my experience that newer versions of many Virus Protection software can bring an older PC to its knees. They can continuously scan or perform tasks that some machines just can't handle. IF your PC does not go onto the internet or is not connected to any other network, you don't need it.
You may also try disabling it temporarily (re-enable if you are browsing the web) to see if that presents you with positive results. Just a thought....

OJ UK
09-14-2015, 06:25 PM
I still have one PC here running XP Pro and if I'm faced with an inexplicable problem like that
I start off with a system restore to a date when everything was working as it should.
It won't do any harm to try that I think.

wiredgeorge
09-16-2015, 08:07 AM
Joe, you mention that you use McAfee....It's been my experience that newer versions of many Virus Protection software can bring an older PC to its knees. They can continuously scan or perform tasks that some machines just can't handle. IF your PC does not go onto the internet or is not connected to any other network, you don't need it.
You may also try disabling it temporarily (re-enable if you are browsing the web) to see if that presents you with positive results. Just a thought....

FYI: I saw on TV that John McAfee is going to run for president as a candidate of the "Cyber Party". He looked stoned during the interview. Sorry for the hijack and don't want to intro politics into this discussion but thought it was amusing.

jaherbst
09-16-2015, 09:17 AM
Well Jack I got 4 PC's here with Win 10 on them and they run just fine. No I Fruits for me:firstplace:

Several months ago I bought a new computer for our second home. It had Windows Eight. I downloaded Windows ten and hated it. My Wife has a Windows Seven at her office still and another at home. I got hooked on Apple due mainly for the speed. We have two I Mac desk tops, two I Pads, one I Pad Air Two, two I Phone 6 S Plus and two Apple watches. Years ago there was not as many programs for I Mac but now you can get anything you want out there.

See you in I Cloud!:joke:

Jack

Magdave
09-16-2015, 09:34 AM
Several months ago I bought a new computer for our second home. It had Windows Eight. I downloaded Windows ten and hated it. My Wife has a Windows Seven at her office still and another at home. I got hooked on Apple due mainly for the speed. We have two I Mac desk tops, two I Pads, one I Pad Air Two, two I Phone 6 S Plus and two Apple watches. Years ago there was not as many programs for I Mac but now you can get anything you want out there.

See you in I Cloud!:joke:

Jack

Win 8 did suck I agree but 10 is actually Win 7 mostly with the best of 8 overlaid on it. It took a little getting used to at first but it is pretty stable and fast vs. Win 7. Finding some of the settings is a little counter intuitive but right click the Win logo and select control panel to see a win 7 style settings. You can also add This PC and User documents icons to display on the desktop for quick access and finally you can "pin to start" any programs you use a lot and they will get one of those quick start buttons on the start menu:thumbup: