PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this is?

Grumbles13
09-12-2015, 11:40 AM
Does anyone recognize this? The previous owner cut the wires on this aftermarket piece so I'm not sure what it is. I suspect it has to do with a radio or speakers, since there is also an MP3 input that was put on the bike, but the wires to it were cut as well. 115939

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrewNJ
09-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Looks like an abandoned power block or grounding block. Likely for lighting??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Grumbles13
09-12-2015, 12:10 PM
Looks like an abandoned power block or grounding block. Likely for lighting??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

There are LEDs installed, but they go to a switch on the other side of the bike. All though there is something wrong with the switch or wiring because they don't always come on....I have to wiggle the switch back and forth to get it to just the right position. There is also a red push button near this thing that had the wires cut as well.:sour:

latony007
09-12-2015, 12:26 PM
looks like a chunk of metal correct? id go with grounding block too

wiredgeorge
09-12-2015, 12:39 PM
looks like a chunk of metal correct? id go with grounding block too

The heavier gauge red wire is the give-away. It is 12VDC and the small holes are for plugging in hot wires for some purpose. A ground block likely won't have red in-out.

Grumbles13
09-12-2015, 01:20 PM
The heavier gauge red wire is the give-away. It is 12VDC and the small holes are for plugging in hot wires for some purpose. A ground block likely won't have red in-out.

Ok, Thanks! Now to figure out how I can put it to use, and what that stupid red button was/can be used for.

DriftersWay
09-12-2015, 01:27 PM
looks like the 2 red wires was cut from the red wires in the back ground. If so trace them out and see where they go

trikermutha
09-12-2015, 02:02 PM
Man that looks like someone was in a hurry to sell .. Two hex screws and the wires could have been removed before cutting them..

The ones behind the block in the background do they go to something??

wiredgeorge
09-12-2015, 02:21 PM
Man that looks like someone was in a hurry to sell .. Two hex screws and the wires could have been removed before cutting them..

Take a multimeter and turn your key on. Put the POS probe on the cut red wire where it is dangling and the NEG probe on a frame ground with the meter in lowest VDC scale. Check both sides of that thing and make sure none of the exposed wires are hot.

trikermutha
09-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Take a multimeter and turn your key on. Put the POS probe on the cut red wire where it is dangling and the NEG probe on a frame ground with the meter in lowest VDC scale. Check both sides of that thing and make sure none of the exposed wires are hot.

I guess that would be for the original post as I was just commenting on the exposed wires..:dontknow: I would never leave a bike with exposed wires that way..

Chupaca
09-12-2015, 02:35 PM
but what ever was hooked up to it was removed. I would remove it...:thumbup:

Grumbles13
09-12-2015, 08:30 PM

The ones in the background go to a push button. Don't have any idea what it was for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grumbles13
09-12-2015, 08:32 PM

They aren't hot...it's not hooked up to anything anymore. Will probably just pull it off and go about with my own mods.

sinner45
09-13-2015, 10:17 PM
Looks as if all wires are cut,just take it off??

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jaimekinkle
09-17-2015, 06:50 PM
Looks like a distribution block.
People usually use them to run big wire to battery and then small wires to accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pitzerwm
09-17-2015, 11:31 PM
There are LEDs installed, but they go to a switch on the other side of the bike. All though there is something wrong with the switch or wiring because they don't always come on....I have to wiggle the switch back and forth to get it to just the right position. There is also a red push button near this thing that had the wires cut as well.:sour:

First spray the switch with a "cleaner" if that don't work replace, those cheap Chinese switches get dirty/fail all the time.

Bfromla
09-18-2015, 01:00 AM
Guessing u lost contact with previous owner? :agree:12V block of some kind but sooo may thing out there now, if you knew more of prevoius owner what they were into accessory or performance wise ,might help.

Grumbles13
09-18-2015, 06:38 AM
Guessing u lost contact with previous owner? :agree:12V block of some kind but sooo may thing out there now, if you knew more of prevoius owner what they were into accessory or performance wise ,might help.

Bought the bike from a Harley dealer. They had it for about 4 months and were eager to make a deal on it. LOL. I have no idea who the owner was, but can tell he must've put some sort of sound system on it. I'm going to just take that off and add my own sound system once I do some research on them.