PDA

View Full Version : RT Comp Ratio

SailnDive
09-12-2015, 09:57 AM
What is the CR of the 2014 RT? I've seen 12.2 to 1 mentioned . If that's correct, then that's the reason for high test fuel requirements. i.e 90 octane or better. We were taught that the only advantage to high octane ratings was anti knock in high CR engines. Maybe there are more factors...I don't know. But I will use the 91. Sadly 91 is only available in 10% ethanol locally. Non ethanol is available in regular but that would knock at 12/1. I use it in my small engines and large generator but they are 8/1. Ethanol is a joke, lower BTUs, absorbs water, screws up lines, makes corn and corn products higher priced. Why do we let a badly informed government make these rules? STUPID!

Highwayman2013
09-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Many run regular with no problems. If I am out in certain areas and it is all I can get I use it.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?81859-regular-or-premium&highlight=1330+fuel+octane

wiredgeorge
09-12-2015, 12:15 PM
What is the CR of the 2014 RT? I've seen 12.2 to 1 mentioned . If that's correct, then that's the reason for high test fuel requirements. i.e 90 octane or better. We were taught that the only advantage to high octane ratings was anti knock in high CR engines. Maybe there are more factors...I don't know. But I will use the 91. Sadly 91 is only available in 10% ethanol locally. Non ethanol is available in regular but that would knock at 12/1. I use it in my small engines and large generator but they are 8/1. Ethanol is a joke, lower BTUs, absorbs water, screws up lines, makes corn and corn products higher priced. Why do we let a badly informed government make these rules? STUPID!

Your post is pretty much spot on for the most part. The Spyder is designed to run on 91 octane but appears to have the ability to adapt to lower octane fuels and not knock. Perhaps the on-board computer retards the ignition advance a bit to compensate. I do feel it best to keep to the manufacturer's recommendation as far as fuel grade. The higher octane retards combustion a tad to keep pre-ignition from occuring. That is the main reason for the hi-test fuel. On bikes with lower compression, such as my KZ1000 (8.7:1) regular fuel performs MUCH better as hi-test will actually foul plugs and decrease power. The one advantage many hi-test fuels have is that they have better and more expensive additive packages; stuff for keep injectors, jets and valves cleaner and that is a good bit of the extra cost for the hi-test fuel. I don't know about folks up in WVa but here in Texas we like BEEF and the use of ethanol makes beef fed corn a rarity these days. Gov. Perry applied for an exemption against using ethanol for that reason and the Fed turned us down. Matching transportation road funding from the Fed is a heck of a lever! BTW: I rebuild vintage Japanese motorcycle carburetors for a living and ethanol has been my own personal stimulas package! hehe

garb55
09-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Many run regular with no problems. If I am out in certain areas and it is all I can get I use it.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?81859-regular-or-premium&highlight=1330+fuel+octane

I you have not figured it out yet
we no longer have a government that is the will of the people
the majority no longer rules
our politicians are our dictators
and money in their pocket rules
general public voice is not heard

Lew L
09-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Careful what you say Don---- Big Brother is watching.

When I was teaching high school I did let the chillens know that any government money, projects, employees (myself included) are paid for by thier parents who are working and paying taxes.

Our crappy Nevada government ( now run by lying repubs. has raised taxes by the largest amount in the states history even though the peoples ( by a 3 to 4 margin) turned down a tax increase very recently.:mad:

How can you tell when a politician is lying??? they are talking!!!

Kaos

Yes this was an off topic rant agreeing with Don. And I apoligize -------So what is the compression ratio of the 1330 motor????

Chupaca
09-12-2015, 03:40 PM
everywhere I read it is 12:1....this gets hashed out regularly and I have found that those of us who bought these machines for what they were intended for pay the extra buck for the best...ethanol...what can we say..little bit of seafoam from time to time helps...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-12-2015, 04:53 PM
The 1330s are 12:1 engines...
It's the 991 series Vee-Twins, that put a 12.2:1 squeeze on the "slugs"! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
09-12-2015, 05:17 PM
Wheeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :yikes: I think you made it though peoples. :yes:

Orange Spyder Man
09-12-2015, 06:02 PM

its because some brother in law of a senator... paid the senator to fund his operation of making ethanol.. does that answer your question ?

osm

Bob Denman
09-12-2015, 06:13 PM
If you don't want to run fuel with ethanol in it; try buying it around Marinas... :thumbup:
The boating industry seems to REALLY not like it!
Neither do the snowmobilers; you'll find it up where they are popular also!

beadaholic
09-12-2015, 07:57 PM
As some of you know I am in Mexico, I use premium fuel in mine, it says 91 octane on the pump. What kind of gas is this? Does anyone know, just so I know. Here it is either Regular or Premium (which I don't believe really, but that is what I use). I don't trust Pemex, and I don't believe anything they say but there is no other option.