PDA

View Full Version : Honda Spyder look alike

Exditchdigger
09-11-2015, 12:59 PM
This weekend the Honda Wing Ding was in Huntsville Al. with over 10,000 Honda's in town.
I went to the trade show and got a few things for the Spyder, Honda was showing off their
new bikes and at first glance I thought I saw a spyder in the bunch it turned out to be a honda
prototype so the rep said. He wouldn't tell me anything more after i told him it looked like they
were trying to copy the Can Am. I will try to post some pictures.

:roflblack:

:roflblack:

HedonismBot
09-11-2015, 01:10 PM
Would be very interesting if they started a factory made trike like HD. It'd be even more interesting if they slapped their DCT into it.

Bob Denman
09-11-2015, 01:17 PM
That looks like the R-18...
It's an aftermarket offering, and it does look promising! :D :thumbup:

TEWKS
09-11-2015, 01:32 PM
Think the Rep was pulling your leg unless they have them out at rallies, showing them. There was one at Spyderquest.

Pat

bronzeflex42
09-11-2015, 02:10 PM
The Spyder look way better to me. nojoke

Highwayman2013
09-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Doesn't look like anything new, been out for a few years now. R-18 kit.
Yep here it is:http://wingworldmag.com/tech/along-went-spyder/

Bob Denman
09-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Remembering that the R-18 is aftermarket... if "Mother-H" got involved in the project... :dontknow:

Chupaca
09-11-2015, 02:31 PM
unless they truly go all out from the frame up...they will always look like a motorcycle pushing a cart...jmho and I grew up with those...:roflblack::roflblack: the conversions are good looking but much like the slingshot only till you reach the seat... as the spyder keeps gaining the true competition will come. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
09-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Always liked the concept of the R-18. Did not like the price. Am also guessing no warranty, no authorized service by dealers.

MikeT
09-11-2015, 02:38 PM
I understand that Hannigan Trikes was showing their version of a GL1800 reverse trike @ WD37. Like the R-18 it's an aftermarket conversion, and no power steering.

Madrebel
09-11-2015, 02:46 PM
I understand that Hannigan Trikes was showing their version of a GL1800 reverse trike @ WD37. Like the R-18 it's an aftermarket conversion, and no power steering.

I was there and that's what it was. No power steering. you should have seen them trying to ride it out. :)

jerpinoy
09-11-2015, 04:16 PM
You can also check out the leaning trike, they are made in Everett, WA. good luck.

Bob Denman
09-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Jer,
But at least the Honda has shaft drive... :ohyea:

Netminder
09-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Here is the one from SpyderQuest last year.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=115901&stc=1

latony007
09-12-2015, 12:57 PM
i think these things are pretty cool looking. Im sorry to see its a kit though. id love to See Honda or Suzuki or Yamaha start making something similar to the spyder, bet the prices would drop in half and as the article mentioned it would be a lot easier to find a dealer. The RT at 30k is just getting a little crazy. I have a 2014 4 door sedan with all the bells and whistles like all 4 heated seats, air conditioned drivers seat, blind spot detection, GPS and 7" screen back up camera, dual moon roofs etc and i paid less than an RT

Bob Denman
09-12-2015, 05:09 PM
:agree: They really do look as if they've got some "attitude" built into them. :thumbup:

Orange Spyder Man
09-12-2015, 06:04 PM
if HONDA would make them...... I think I would be interested..

osml

JerryB
09-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Hi Tony,

Re: the prices would drop in half and as the article mentioned it would be a lot easier to find a dealer

From what I can find, Honda is the largest seller of motorcycles, by a wide margin, in the world.

IMO if Honda did get into the R-trike design, BRP would be in big trouble. Honda has far more financial resources for development, they have far more experience in motorcycle design and probably far more engineers to work on any design that they wanted to take on; and I would think that their production costs would be less than BRP.

Re: it would be a lot easier to find a dealer

And there are a whole bunch of independent service centers that work on Hondas.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Also, Honda has a lot of engines to draw from to build multiple options.

Bob Denman
09-12-2015, 06:10 PM
The trick to this game: How many patents does BRP hold on the safety features, and the basic design?
When Honda came out with the ATCs; they had patented the relationship between the seat, footpegs, and engine positioning. Everybody else had to work around their design... Yamaha moved the engine rearward, Kawasaki moved theirs forward, and Suzuki just added an extra wheel... :D

RBS66
09-12-2015, 06:17 PM
if HONDA would make them...... I think I would be interested..

osml

+++++1

JerryB
09-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: The trick to this game

As I have posted before, the same law firm that helps you get your patent will help you get around the other guy's patent.

Do you really think that a company the size of Honda would be concerned about a simple patent?

I think not.

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
09-12-2015, 08:22 PM
I would imagine that BRP also knows a thing or two about lawyers... :D
Time will tell... :thumbup:

Cavman
09-13-2015, 01:07 AM
I was there for five days. There were a couple of these and that one to me, was the ugly one. Looks like someone stepped on the front of it. There were 9097 people in attendance this year.

J48cruiser
09-13-2015, 06:03 AM
Many years ago a lot of the motorcycle manufacturers signed a agreement never to build three wheel vehicles again. This was due to many accidents that happened with three wheel all terrain vehicles, this also covered Motorcycles

Bob Denman
09-13-2015, 06:28 AM
That's a fallacy...
They agreed to stop production of the three-wheeled ATCs; that's all...

Orange Spyder Man
09-13-2015, 08:27 AM
i think these things are pretty cool looking. Im sorry to see its a kit though. id love to See Honda or Suzuki or Yamaha start making something similar to the spyder, bet the prices would drop in half and as the article mentioned it would be a lot easier to find a dealer. The RT at 30k is just getting a little crazy. I have a 2014 4 door sedan with all the bells and whistles like all 4 heated seats, air conditioned drivers seat, blind spot detection, GPS and 7" screen back up camera, dual moon roofs etc and i paid less than an RT

its only a matter of time before Honda, Suzuki & Yamaha will jump on the band wagon... then there will have to be some serious reckoning on present trike makers on price & offerings...

osm

Rockwall
09-13-2015, 09:44 AM
Success usually breeds imitation.

Bob Denman
09-13-2015, 09:47 AM
:agree: But mostly; it just pins a Big Target on your back! :shocked:

Highwayman2013
09-13-2015, 10:39 AM
Competition makes everyone better.

robmorg
09-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Hi Bob,

Re: The trick to this game

As I have posted before, the same law firm that helps you get your patent will help you get around the other guy's patent.

Do you really think that a company the size of Honda would be concerned about a simple patent?

I think not.

Jerry BaumchenI entirely agree with those thoughts. Getting around whatever patents BRP has would be no problem for Honda. Even if they wanted to challenge, I have to wonder if BRP has the clout to fight it on a world-wide level as Apple does.

This R18, or any other aftermarket kit, is not going to be serious competition for BRP. But, as Bob suggests, their growing success in this market could pin a target on their back. I also agree that if Honda decides to make a factory reverse trike, BRP could well be in trouble, losing precious market share in an already precarious market. I sincerely hope BRP is gearing up for that potential. One of the most important things they should do NOW, is to revamp their entire marketing/customer service department. Unless they start there, they can never gain the brand loyalty that Honda has.

sinner45
09-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Looks kind of clunky compared to my f3s just sayn from fargo nd keep it safe out there

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

latony007
09-14-2015, 07:44 PM
I entirely agree with those thoughts. Getting around whatever patents BRP has would be no problem for Honda. Even if they wanted to challenge, I have to wonder if BRP has the clout to fight it on a world-wide level as Apple does.

This R18, or any other aftermarket kit, is not going to be serious competition for BRP. But, as Bob suggests, their growing success in this market could pin a target on their back. I also agree that if Honda decides to make a factory reverse trike, BRP could well be in trouble, losing precious market share in an already precarious market. I sincerely hope BRP is gearing up for that potential. One of the most important things they should do NOW, is to revamp their entire marketing/customer service department. Unless they start there, they can never gain the brand loyalty that Honda has.

agreed, they can start by building customer loyalty so if they others did release one more spyder riders would stick with Can am. Offer some deals on trade in to get more used ones out there and more on the road. lowering prices not increasing would also be a good idea. As for patents that didnt stop 2 wheel manufacturers from following others. When the ninja first came out and became so popular as a street bike didnt stop the others from following suit. All you have to do is make one micro change to say the nanny system and call it something else. If yamaha or Honda made one of these id be all over it. As someone said they have all kinds of engines they actually produce (Vs buying from someone else) that would fit and i bet you $1000 they would not pump out heat like an oven and then tell you too bad deal with it like can am. Not trying to bash can am i enjoy my spyder i just think they take it for granted that the spyder rider has no where else to go.