PDA

View Full Version : Wet seat

dagermain
09-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Hello,
so i'm new to this site. Just have a general question here.

wondering if anyone has experience their seat when wet holding the water. The situation i have experience was we were out riding and it was raining, the seat did get quite wet. the next day we went out again and the seat didn't look wet but after riding for about a half hour and got off, i found that my jeans were wet, guessing from the days before rain. the second night after the rain day, after about a half hour my seat was still wet, not quite as bad but still getting my butt wet.

Wondering if anyone is or has had this same issue, and if so what kind of solution do you suggest.

thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Denise
Red Deer, AB
Canada

SpyderAnn01
09-10-2015, 10:47 PM
Welcome Denise! Do you have an aftermarket seat like a Corbin or Ultimate? I have never had that problem with any of my Spyder's but I have always had the OEM seat. Corbin and Ultimate are leather and maybe that makes a difference. Is all of the stitching on your seat in good condition?

Chupaca
09-10-2015, 11:01 PM
Don't know what you have (year and model) but if it is a stitched seat where water can penetrate then it could hold water depending on the amount of rain. If you have no drains on the bottom pan it will stay a long time. If it is suade etc...some custom seats come with rain covers...
Welcome to the site glad you chimed in...:2thumbs::yes::yes:

dagermain
09-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the replies.

So this is the factory seat the one that came with it when i purchased it.

this is a 2014 ST-S model

was purchased about a month ago now. only have 1300kms so far... :)

Chupaca
09-10-2015, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the replies.

So this is the factory seat the one that came with it when i purchased it.

this is a 2014 ST-S model

was purchased about a month ago now. only have 1300kms so far... :)

If you get a chance snap a picture and maybe we can figure out what you have...:thumbup:

Motorcycledave
09-10-2015, 11:53 PM
I have run into this for years, unless you have a seat that the upholstery is one piece of
vinyl or leather without any stitching, I am saying it is a molded cover over the foam you
will get this. What is going on is the water is getting into the foam by going through the
stitch holes where it is sewn and will do it for ever and get the inside foam wet, when you sit
on it the next time you get on it the water is squeezed out through the holes and on to your pants.
you can help this by covering your seat with a plastic trash bag when it is raining, I carry them all the time
for just such a reason. You can also if you feel you can do it, remove the seat and turn it over then
pick out all the staples holding it on and take the cover off, then take a plastic trash bag and put it on the
foam and then reinstall the seat upholster, this will permanently keep the water out of the foam.
When I do custom seats I always seal the stitch holes from the inside so the above does not happen.
Ride Safe
Dave

Hello,
so i'm new to this site. Just have a general question here.

wondering if anyone has experience their seat when wet holding the water. The situation i have experience was we were out riding and it was raining, the seat did get quit wet. the next day we went out again and the seat didn't look wet but after riding for about a half hour and got off, i found that my jeans were wet, guessing from the days before rain. the second night after the rain day, after about a half hour my seat was still wet, not quite as bad but still getting my butt wet.

Wondering if anyone is or has had this same issue, and if so what kind of solution do you suggest.

thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Denise
Red Deer, AB
Canada

Bfromla
09-11-2015, 12:13 AM
:agree: But even morning dew san keep damp, have you parked in good sunny spot & let it sit? Can try sitting on towels help soak up where your weight is. Try to have covered @ night to avoid dew adding combination. Best bet is 12hours of sun if you can.

AppleSpyder
09-11-2015, 07:07 AM
The St seat is made a little different than the RT seat. It does have that strange ability to stay wet a little longer.....while it looks dry and feels dry to the touch once you plant your bottom side, yep it's still damp. I use a half cover from Nelson Rigs which works perfect to keep it dry from the rain. Otherwise a good dose of sunshine is the cure. I also have a sheepskin on mine and that has cured the summer burn when you sit down and the wet butt from sweating.

billybovine
09-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Yes the ST seat does that. Well at least my 2013 ST does too. You can cover it or get one of those synthetic shammy clothes. Give the seat a good wipe down. They seem to have the ability to suck the water out of that textured surface.

Bob Denman
09-11-2015, 08:59 AM
:D They've already gotten to the "bottom" of your problem, so I'll just say... :welcome: :2thumbs:

cohoff
09-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Hi Denise ~

here is a c&p of a post i just put up about rain seat covers, it works great!

i want to tell you about this great product i found, it is a rain seat cover. put your rain gear on yourself and this rain cover on your seat and both you and your seat will remain dry. it's easy to put on, it just slips right over your seat. i have a 2014 RTS with a Corbin seat with fuel door and back rest. they custom make the seat cover to come with or without a fuel door and with or without a backrest. they can make a seat cover for the RS, ST, RT and F3. the seat covers are made out of durable 200 denier pack cloth that is UV treated and waterproof. they are less than $100. i have used mine in several rain storms this summer and my seat has always remained dry. its easily folds up into it's own storage bag. worth the investment for my $1,000 Corbin seat. they also make covers for Spyders. i have been very satisfied with their customer service.

you can email them at info@shadyproducts.com or call (720) 379-6323 and ask for Bennett (Son) or Tom (father). their website is http://www.shadyproducts.com (http://www.shadyproducts.com/).

Fatcycledaddy
09-11-2015, 12:06 PM
I have a 2015 RT limited and this happens to me. We rode in the rain for 4 days on a trip to Nova Scotia, and for the next 3 days of riding in the sun, my pants would get wet where they came into contact with the stitching area of the seat. You don't notice it while you are riding because of the wind, but when you get off it is prevalent:sour:.

DrewNJ
09-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Listen to Dave, it's what he does for a living....

Rain and seats don't play nice together. I also use a trash bag if I get caught (they work well as makeshift rain gear too...lol).... Pop up the seat and slide the bag over it, close the seat. I also wrap a single bungee cord at the rear.
Yes, it's ghetto, but I avoid the rain as much as possible.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JayBros
09-11-2015, 01:02 PM
You might consider a Genuine Cool Ass cover, http://www.genuinecoolass.com/. They are made to protect the seat from the sun's radiation but the latest generation of their material can be used as a rain cover. The one I bought was $33.95 and compresses into a pouch about the size of a mayonnaise jar.

ARtraveler
09-11-2015, 02:49 PM
:welcome: to the party. Previous posters have you covered pretty well.

I even learned something about the ST seat today. Will add that little gem to my memory bank. :yes:

dagermain
09-11-2015, 11:46 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=115917&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=115918&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=115920&stc=1

ok so day three still a little damp.
i'm going to guess the reason it is not drying very quickly as i have it in a garage and no sun is getting on it to dry it, so taking longer in the garage.
i appreciate everyones input and suggestions, this has been very helpful. THANKS!
i can only think that if the seat gets wet like this that it will break the foam down in the future.

thanks again everyone!!

DrewNJ
09-12-2015, 05:40 AM
It will dry. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Throw a towel on it if you have to ride. Just try to keep it covered better in the future if you get caught in the rain. Try to get it out in the sun if you can. If it's stuck in the garage maybe run a dehumidifier right next to it. Remember, jetski seats get wet when they go out and they are identical to the spyder seats.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
09-12-2015, 05:44 PM
It will dry. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Throw a towel on it if you have to ride. Just try to keep it covered better in the future if you get caught in the rain. Try to get it out in the sun if you can. If it's stuck in the garage maybe run a dehumidifier right next to it. Remember, jetski seats get wet when they go out and they are identical to the spyder seats.
:agree: But if you get your butt wet on a jetski seat; isn't that the point of the exercise? :dontknow: :D

Get some heat on it, or even leave a light on above it for a while... :thumbup:

DrewNJ
09-12-2015, 08:51 PM
I've pulled apart some really nasty jetskis seats over the years, that and the water makes them weigh a TON!

Bob Denman
09-13-2015, 06:38 AM
:shocked: And they can start to stink, if you don't get them dried-out... :shocked:

I've seen more than one snowmobile seat rendered useless, after a dunking and a lazy owner's neglect. :banghead: