PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried front spring spacers on 2015 RTS?

Damnokie1
09-10-2015, 03:45 PM
Front spring are way too soft, was wondering what luck anyone had with the spring spacers from Roadster Renovations?

2015 RTS (white)

Bob Denman
09-10-2015, 04:51 PM
:welcome:
While I don't have those on my bike; I've got BajaRon's front shock pre-load adjusters.
They perform exactly the same task as the ones that you have mentioned, and I am completely satisfied with them. :2thumbs:

Roadster Renovations
09-10-2015, 06:35 PM
And they are much safer

Cruzr Joe

I have to ask how you can say Ron's are safer than the ones we produce and sell. We have almost 150 sets out in the Spyder community and not one complaint. Ours are one solid component rather than several moving parts that will eventually either seize up or break. The more moving parts you have involved in something the more chance of breakage. That is why I offer a lifetime warranty on what we sell. You don't even have a set of them and you are telling someone they are not as safe..... Boy, Joe, you have succeeded in surprising me. And that is really hard to do.

Make sure you guys let this man know that he will have to remove and dismantle his shocks to install them. And as far as the rest of you that have replied to this thread. I make it a point to not post on any thread when someone is talking about Ron's adjusters. That's called respect. The guy was asking about our product, not Rons. So how much respect are you showing about that?

Damnokie1
09-10-2015, 08:00 PM
New to the spyder and was just wanting some good advice. I think I will try the Roadster Renvations
and see how they work. Not really wanting to take the shock apart.

johnnyrocket
09-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Front spring are way to soft, was wondering what luck anyone had with the spring spacers from Roadster Renovations?

2015 RTS (white)

I had the stiffners installed last week. I can't compare any other brand but I am satisfied the ride is better and it steers better (less softness).

robtdonna
09-10-2015, 11:11 PM
Have a 2014 RT which is same as 2015. Stiffeners are simple to install and worked for me!.

Front spring are way too soft, was wondering what luck anyone had with the spring spacers from Roadster Renovations?

2015 RTS (white)

Bob Denman
09-11-2015, 07:19 AM
New to the spyder and was just wanting some good advice. I think I will try the Roadster Renvations
and see how they work. Not really wanting to take the shock apart.
:clap: We'll be expecting a full report on our desks, once you've got them in place, and have logged some Saddle-Time with them.
:congrats: Doc makes some pretty cool stuff! :thumbup:

oldguyinTX
09-11-2015, 08:08 AM
I have Doc Humphrey's Stiffeners on my RTL, and am pleased with the results. Not quite as easy an install as the installation video would suggest, and I haven't been able to get the second set between the springs, but overall they are a big help. The front end does not seem as "mushy" as before. If I had a second Spyder, I would buy them again.

KJWEB
09-11-2015, 08:19 AM
I too have Doc Humphrey's Stiffeners on my RTL along with the BajaRon sway bar. The spring stiffeners do exactly what I was needing. No more nose dive when breaking. Very easy install and cheaper than other options.

Damnokie1
09-16-2015, 08:59 PM
Installed them tonight and they did the trick. No more grinding tupperware on the bumps. Also is a lot firmer in the curves. Well worth the money.;)

MikeT
09-17-2015, 09:46 AM
For medical reasons(arthritis in my hands) I chose to go from a GL1800 trike to an RT Limited in April. Since we ride 2-up 90% of the time, I quickly found out that some "improvements" to the suspension were needed. Came across Roadster Renovations. PM'd and talked with DOC. Made a short jaunt to his shop in Columbus, IN. Came away with 1 set of stiffeners on the front(A position) and one set on my rear spring per DOC's recommendation. The combination has made a world of difference in how own RT Limited reacts on the road. Another thing I found helped me was to raise the rear tire pressure to 30 PSI and 24 PSI in the fronts, especially when we are completely loaded up. I also have DOC's Spyder Rack & Pak which pretty much allows us to have the same storage that we had on the Hannigan Trike for our week long trips, without having to have a pull behind trailer.

campermac
01-12-2016, 09:41 PM
I have to ask how you can say Ron's are safer than the ones we produce and sell. We have almost 150 sets out in the Spyder community and not one complaint. Ours are one solid component rather than several moving parts that will eventually either seize up or break. The more moving parts you have involved in something the more chance of breakage. That is why I offer a lifetime warranty on what we sell. You don't even have a set of them and you are telling someone they are not as safe..... Boy, Joe, you have succeeded in surprising me. And that is really hard to do.

Make sure you guys let this man know that he will have to remove and dismantle his shocks to install them. And as far as the rest of you that have replied to this thread. I make it a point to not post on any thread when someone is talking about Ron's adjusters. That's called respect. The guy was asking about our product, not Rons. So how much respect are you showing about that?

I just got my 2016 and am wondering if your spacers will work on the 2016 RTL as well. Also do you recommend a swaybar as well, mos of my riding will be 2 people and occassionally pulling a trailer

Lew L
01-12-2016, 11:21 PM
I too have Doc Humphrey's Stiffeners on my RTL along with the BajaRon sway bar. The spring stiffeners do exactly what I was needing. No more nose dive when breaking. Very easy install and cheaper than other options.

I have the same color ( Circuit Yellow ) didn't know they had it for the 15's ????

Also have Doc's spring stifferers. Easy install and they allow very hard cornering.
Kaos

Roadster Renovations
01-13-2016, 12:46 AM
I just got my 2016 and am wondering if your spacers will work on the 2016 RTL as well. Also do you recommend a swaybar as well, mos of my riding will be 2 people and occassionally pulling a trailer

Will need to PM about this and I will be more than happy to answer you!

spacetiger
01-13-2016, 07:32 AM
They perform exactly the same task as the ones that you have mentioned, ...

Bob,

Your statement is not correct.

One is an adjustable preload devise and
the spacer is a device that isolates some of the spring coils effectively changing the spring rate (lbs/in) of the spring.

Both can add additional spring capacity, but depending on how much additional spring capacity you need, only one of these may work to meet that need.

Jerry

Bob Denman
01-13-2016, 08:09 AM
They do perform the same task: stiffening-up the front suspension... :thumbup:
They just go about it in slightly different ways.

There's always been more than one way, to skin a cat! :D

bardar
01-13-2016, 08:52 PM

2015 RTS (white)

front spring spacer works great on my 2014 r/t. brought them on the spyderlovers web site. cost about $85.00. the kit has 4 spacers in it. easy to install.

spacetiger
01-13-2016, 09:37 PM
They do perform the same task: stiffening-up the front suspension... :thumbup:
They just go about it in slightly different ways.

There's always been more than one way, to skin a cat! :D

No, they do not perform the same task. The fact that you believe it so, doesn't mean it does; you just found a cleaver way to stand behind your post.

The OP said "Front spring are way too soft..." The preload spacers you suggest do not stiffen up the suspension, they add additional capacity but do not change the spring rate. The additional capacity might solve the problem of the OP but it might not. What advise would you give if he chooses your suggestion and it doesn't work?

I do realize I am wasting my time... :banghead:

Bob Denman
01-14-2016, 07:47 AM
I'm glad that you realize the error in your ways... :joke:
But if the perception is that the front suspension feels stiffer; do you think that the average rider cares why? :dontknow:
Shortening the working length of a spring always makes it feel stiffer...

spacetiger
01-14-2016, 08:04 AM
I'm glad that you realize the error in your ways... :joke:
But if the perception is that the front suspension feels stiffer; do you think that the average rider cares why? :dontknow:

Perhaps, it doesn't matter to some, many...

As an engineer, I loath the perpetuation of ignorance when we can get it right as a riding body.

"Shortening the working length of a spring always makes it feel stiffer..." Guess what, that's because mathematically it is stiffer. Your use of the phrase "...makes it feel stiffer..." makes it sound like there is room for an opinion. There is no opinion, it is a fact. If you cut or isolate some spring coils, the remaining spring IS stiffer.

Bob Denman
01-14-2016, 08:14 AM
An awful lot of us aren't engineers, and wouldn't understand how it works anyway... :D
As an idiot who's ridden dirt bikes, snowmobiles, street-bikes, and ATVs for over 50 years: I only know what has worked for me.
But your are right: "Your mileage may vary..." :thumbup:

2dogs
01-14-2016, 04:09 PM
Ordered these spring spacers, "Polaris ATV OEM CoilSpring Spacers 2872655." Cut about 2" off each one so the ends didn't overlap and installed them in the middle coil of the front shock springs. One on each spring. A little liquid soap helps the install. Easy in, and easy out if you don't like them. Cost less than one round drinks and they work great. Makes your spyder go around curves like a rocket ship on rails. I have one of Ron's sway bars installed also. Together they'll make you a whole new spyder.

Bob Denman
01-14-2016, 05:45 PM
:clap: for the ingenuity! :2thumbs:

What did you have to use to cut them? :shocked:

2dogs
01-14-2016, 08:24 PM
:clap: for the ingenuity! :2thumbs:

What did you have to use to cut them? :shocked:

but I had to cut another 1 1/2" to 2"s off to make them fit without overlap. I just used a box cutter.

Bob Denman
01-15-2016, 08:43 AM
I wondered if a box-cutter would be tough enough: Thanks! :thumbup:

Papa Jim
01-15-2016, 01:43 PM
:welcome:
While I don't have those on my bike; I've got BajaRon's front shock pre-load adjusters.
They perform exactly the same task as the ones that you have mentioned, and I am completely satisfied with them. :2thumbs:

Bob,
Did you remove the shocks ? I chose to upgrade to the Fox shocks .
Have installed Ron's sway bar and Spyderpops skid plate. Ready now to
Remove the shocks ,looks like I will have to remove the front end to get to the top
bolt . Is there another way ? Should have done before the skid plate perhaps ?
Would appreciate any advice from those who have been there.....Thanks

Bob Denman
01-15-2016, 01:57 PM
You do have to pull the shocks, and it's a real BUGGER of a job! nojoke
But with the right attitude, tools, and cuss-words; you don't have to remove all of the bodywork! :thumbup:

BaldEagle
01-15-2016, 02:14 PM
Hey guys and gals. I have to agree. I installed the Polaris spacers on mine and for several others. They work great along with Ron's sway bar. When 320# me goes around a curve now, very little noticable sway from spring collapse. Go for it because you can't beat the price. Bob, I use a mini hack saw to cut them. :yes::yes::yes:

Ordered these spring spacers, "Polaris ATV OEM CoilSpring Spacers 2872655." Cut about 2" off each one so the ends didn't overlap and installed them in the middle coil of the front shock springs. One on each spring. A little liquid soap helps the install. Easy in, and easy out if you don't like them. Cost less than one round drinks and they work great. Makes your spyder go around curves like a rocket ship on rails. I have one of Ron's sway bars installed also. Together they'll make you a whole new spyder.

Papa Jim
01-15-2016, 03:05 PM
Looking for the best way to remove the front shocks om my 2015 Spider RTL. I've replaced the sway bar and the skid plate , looks like I have to remove the front end to get to the top bolt. Would appreciate any advice from anyone who has been there.....I purchased the upgrade Fox shocks from BRP. Has anyone else let me know what you think ?.....Thanks

kngfsh27
01-15-2016, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the idea. I just ordered a pair. Less than a 30 pack of beer.:yes: Anxious to get them installed and try them out.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Looking for the best way to remove the front shocks om my 2015 Spider RTL. I've replaced the sway bar and the skid plate , looks like I have to remove the front end to get to the top bolt. Would appreciate any advice from anyone who has been there.....I purchased the upgrade Fox shocks from BRP. Has anyone else let me know what you think ?.....Thanks
.....Papa J , there are a few video's floating around that will show you exactly how it's done ......I think it's eight - 10mm bolts for the entire thing......The two underneath are the hardest to get to........Mike :thumbup:

Bandit1
01-26-2016, 05:04 PM
I too cut the Polaris coil spacers with a box cutter and installed them up high, generally out of sight. I went from skittish and unsure in the corners to being able to stay with the big boys in the corners. Ron's swaybar helped but my Spyder definitely needed this additional improvement. It tracks arrow straight too.

Bob Denman
01-26-2016, 06:17 PM
:welcome: :2thumbs:
:nopic: of your bike?

PatriotRider
01-26-2016, 07:15 PM
I too cut the Polaris coil spacers with a box cutter and installed them up high, generally out of sight. I went from skittish and unsure in the corners to being able to stay with the big boys in the corners. Ron's swaybar helped but my Spyder definitely needed this additional improvement. It tracks arrow straight too.

please start a new thread and report on this option for spring stiffeners

PatriotRider
01-26-2016, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the idea. I just ordered a pair. Less than a 30 pack of beer.:yes: Anxious to get them installed and try them out.

please post a report

PatriotRider
01-26-2016, 07:17 PM

please start a new thread and report on this option for spring stiffeners

Rohaianan
01-29-2016, 11:46 AM
So in order to install the Polaris stiffeners you must disconnect the shock from the bottom? If you jack up the RT is it enough let you install between the coils?