PDA

View Full Version : Installed Hitch Today

SailnDive
09-10-2015, 01:07 PM
I installed the Big Bike Parts trailer hitch today. Good fit and easy to install. I was just wondering why the directions say to lower the brake cylinder out of the way? Maybe to make tightening the set screw easier? I did not lower it and it was easy to get to the screw...so? The powder coat was nicked in a few places but otherwise well made. I did not do the wiring...that comes tomorrow. Is installing a mud flat really a good idea?

Bob Denman
09-10-2015, 01:18 PM
:congrats: on Phase One of your project. :thumbup:
The mudflap isn't important at all...

...If you don't mind your trailer getting cobbed-up by everything the rear tire throws at it. :shocked:

SailnDive
09-10-2015, 01:20 PM
:congrats: on Phase One of your project. :thumbup:
The mudflap isn't important at all...

...If you don't mind your trailer getting cobbed-up by everything the rear tire throws at it. :shocked:!

Ah Ha! Had'nt thought of that. :rolleyes:

Bob Denman
09-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Having towed some stuff behind vehicles that desperately needed mudflaps; you learn pretty quickly about how useful they can be. :D

SpyderAnn01
09-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Mud flap or not, your trailer will get dirty.

Cruzr Joe
09-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Mud flap or not, your trailer will get dirty.

:agree:, that's why i use Spyderpops "Hitch Plate" it reduces the amount of trash on my trailer and the back of my Spyder. It prevents the "Rooster Tail":thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
09-10-2015, 02:37 PM
:nopic: :2thumbs:

Vt. Rider
09-10-2015, 03:18 PM
I didn't have to lower the brake caliper either. I think that the instructions were for the 2013 and earlier models.
Did you have to tape the long pin to keep the end spacers on? I had to....I think that they could have made them fit better. It's a minor thing...but just something that I noticed.

OverHillAndDale
09-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Relatively easy, just one trick I may be able to help you with.

You've got to run a pair of wires from under the seat to the battery. On the pre-2014s I understand the battery is somewhere is under the seat. I have a 2014 which has the battery in the frunk. I used the cut-off end of a long zip tie (about 1/4" by 18"), drilled a small hole in the end and ran the ends of both wires through it. I pushed the tie under the edge of the plastic at the front of the seat, and managed to push it out through the plastic mesh in front of the motor. From there, I could reach in through the battery compartment to grab the end of the tie, and I pulled it through to get to the wires.

You probably already know it, but you'll need to buy a 5-pin adapter to attach to the aft-end wiring.

Deer Slayer
09-10-2015, 04:44 PM
I installed the Big Bike Parts trailer hitch today. Good fit and easy to install. I was just wondering why the directions say to lower the brake cylinder out of the way? Maybe to make tightening the set screw easier? I did not lower it and it was easy to get to the screw...so? The powder coat was nicked in a few places but otherwise well made. I did not do the wiring...that comes tomorrow. Is installing a mud flat really a good idea?
I did not either, I used a wobble allen wrench. I am very happy with mine. I pull a Bunkhouse Lil B. :cheers:

SailnDive
09-11-2015, 06:57 AM
I didn't have to lower the brake caliper either. I think that the instructions were for the 2013 and earlier models.
Did you have to tape the long pin to keep the end spacers on? I had to....I think that they could have made them fit better. It's a minor thing...but just something that I noticed.

I wrapped the spacers with masking tape...but the tape may dry out and shrink overtime which may allow them to move. Maybe not a problem tho'. I have not read the instructions for the wiring yet. I hope it's an easy install. :dontknow: I'ml going to build the trailer soon. I have not got any Al angle yet and I may just do it out of 2x2 steel angle. It will still be light enough.

kioti
09-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Wiring is easy. I made my own mud flap out of rubber belting I had laying around