PDA

View Full Version : Hot ride

thunor
09-08-2015, 07:48 AM
Had a great weekend but sorry that I missed out on Spyderquest.

Did Sea Doo(BRP) riding on Thursday and then hit the road on the RTS Friday morning. Leisurely 8.5 hour trip to Rhode Island.
Decided to stay an extra day to have more fun. Rode back in really nasty heat on Sunday. Hid inside with AC yesterday. Back to
the grindstone today. Wife almost gave up on the trip back with about 2 hours left. Heat and humidity was nasty. Most of the highway
was new paved blacktop which just added to the Sauna effect.

Added another 1100 miles over the weekend. Besides hydration any other tips for high heat rides? Thin layer to cover against burning?
I stripped down to vest and jeans and didn't care if I ended up looking like a lobster. Fun but may be a while till she hops back on the
back...

Hoping all had a great Spyderquest time. Next year will be a definite.

Bob Denman
09-08-2015, 08:03 AM
Sorry to hear that the heat was putting a damper on your fun... :shocked:
I have found that covering up from the Sun always helps. I have a Mesh riding Jacket (TourMaster) that I'm never without.
Hydrate until you have to make bathroom stops at just about every fuel stop... If you're not peeing; you need a little bit more water! :thumbup:
Otherwise; take an alternate route, that gets you away from the heat and the traffic. (If time considerations allow...)
You can also try to plan your rides for earlier or later in the day. Avoid the Mid-day heat whenever possible.

Lew L
09-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Try a cooling vest. They work very well espcially with a vented windscreen. And of course--- a mesh jacket. Cool Runnings with that set up.

Kaos

Eagle1
09-08-2015, 10:11 AM
:thumbup:kwel vest, a great investment. Keeps the body temperature comfortable. Can recool at stops for fuel. We went 6 hours in 90+h by heat and body core was cool.

Chupaca
09-08-2015, 10:33 AM
but factual, you are better off covered in the high heat. (ever seen the desert dwellers) The bodies air conditioner is sweat so hanging on to it helps. I use the heat out under garments which trap the presperation by wicking it away then when you get some air flow cools you. Still sounds like a great trip glad you both had a good time. She will ryde again when she/and the weather cool off...:roflblack:

SpyderAnn01
09-08-2015, 10:52 AM
Had a great weekend but sorry that I missed out on Spyderquest.

Did Sea Doo(BRP) riding on Thursday and then hit the road on the RTS Friday morning. Leisurely 8.5 hour trip to Rhode Island.
Decided to stay an extra day to have more fun. Rode back in really nasty heat on Sunday. Hid inside with AC yesterday. Back to
the grindstone today. Wife almost gave up on the trip back with about 2 hours left. Heat and humidity was nasty. Most of the highway
was new paved blacktop which just added to the Sauna effect.

Added another 1100 miles over the weekend. Besides hydration any other tips for high heat rides? Thin layer to cover against burning?
I stripped down to vest and jeans and didn't care if I ended up looking like a lobster. Fun but may be a while till she hops back on the
back...

Hoping all had a great Spyderquest time. Next year will be a definite.

Spyderquest is this coming weekend.