PDA

View Full Version : a little something interesting for our handicap members

cuznjohn
09-06-2015, 05:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY32oHLlxCU

aeroshots
09-06-2015, 06:04 PM
That is flat awesome. I meet a guy this summer with a similar setup. He had a bed shell on the back that hinged on the passenger side and hydraulically opened and deployed his chair.

Mazo EMS2
09-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Very cool. It aggrivates me to no end when I see physically capable people using handicap parking spots. Lazy pigs borrow vehicles with handicap placards just to park closer to the door. Then they walk to the door with no issues.....This is a good reminder why the extra space is necessary.

Bob Denman
09-06-2015, 08:56 PM
Very cool. It aggrivates me to no end when I see physically capable people using handicap parking spots. Lazy pigs borrow vehicles with handicap placards just to park closer to the door. Then they walk to the door with no issues.....This is a good reminder why the extra space is necessary.
Sometimes, a handicap isn't as obvious as a wheelchair... nojoke

Thump
09-06-2015, 09:04 PM
I have a full size conversion van that has an under vehicle lift.
Lifts me and the chair and then I back into the van and transfer to the driver seat.
The lift goes back into the under vehicle cartridge and off I go.
I use a remote to control it all.
I added a remote start alarm system because the lift pulls a lot of amperage so I always have it running. The 2 side doors also open and close remotely.
It works well and I have hand controls to work the brake and accelerator.

On the handicapped parking I know not all disabilities are visible and they may be picking up a disabled person.
The folks who Park in handicapped without the proper tags or hanger are the ones who irritate me.
I can park way out though since I have a power chair but I need two spaces as my lift and chair take up over 8 feet.

Thanks for the cool truck video!

Chupaca
09-06-2015, 09:22 PM
That is a real nice set up. Great help for keeping the handicap mobile...:2thumbs:

aeroshots
09-07-2015, 08:31 AM
Sometimes, a handicap isn't as obvious as a wheelchair... nojoke

Very true, and sometimes it is.

People, could I tell you some stories. Nearly every time I take my wife somewhere we have handicap parking issues. Probably a dozen times or so it has resulted in confrontation. In my recent grasp of mental maturity, :shocked: I've gotten better at ignoring what I call "jack rabbits".:banghead: But, on occasion fail to control myself.

Once we parked her wheelchair van in a non-handicap spot (all were taken), I had to temporarily block the lane while she loaded with her wheelchair. A "jack rabbit" that had to wait for a few seconds yelled out "what, is she dying up there or something?". It took all my strength not to snatch his esophagus out and feed it to him.

Bob Denman
09-07-2015, 12:41 PM
You showed more restraint than I could have...
I would have been sorely tempted to walk back to his car, lean in on it a bit, and calmly mention that he has no idea how lucky he is to have his health...
...And that his big mouth has made the time necessary for you to do what you need to do; even greater...

ARtraveler
09-07-2015, 02:04 PM
A great wheel chair lift. Thanks John.

All who have some kind of issue are going to be confronted these days. The world a tough place lately. These days, when I cannot get into a place, I just take my business elsewhere. Fifty feet is now a problem for me.

I have found nasty notes on my Spyder--even with the hang tag visible on the windshield.

Not so much with the car with the proper plate.

aeroshots
09-07-2015, 04:04 PM
You showed more restraint than I could have...
I would have been sorely tempted to walk back to his car, lean in on it a bit, and calmly mention that he has no idea how lucky he is to have his health...
...And that his big mouth has made the time necessary for you to do what you need to do; even greater...

:DI did approach him. My wife thought I was going to hurt him and she would have to take care of herself while I paid society back for my actions.:opps:
He had a 4 door truck with a couple in the rear and a lady in the front passenger seat (all in their late 50's I'd say). I did lean in and said "yes, she is dying , but I pray not today". The look on each of their faces was what kept me from hurting him. Little did he know, it was not a good day for my dear wife and me. I'm certain his passengers had plenty to say to him upon our departure.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=115456&stc=1

Sorry for the hijack OP, that is a cool truck and if my wife could drive she would have one for sure. I can see lots of injured Veterans driving those.