PDA

View Full Version : Kicks out of cruise control

greatrides
09-04-2015, 08:57 PM
I have a 2014 sts se5 I bought it new I have had it just over a year and have almost 24,000 miles. I have had it in the shop many times and a total of 50 days. I am trying to see if anyone else has had this happen, it has only happened a couple times but if no one has heard of this it will be one more thing that is wrong with this poor spyder.
With cruise on two up doing 70 mph on the highway with no rain you hit a bump and it will kick the stability control light and then the cruise kicks off. I get one up in the rain going to fast but not 2 up. I understand why it kicks cruise off but has anyone seen this?

IGETAROUND
09-04-2015, 09:09 PM
my OEM add on cruise will frequently shut of after hitting a bump. Also won't engage or allow you to set, shut off turn back on same story. Ride ~5 miles down the road and presto changeo will take a setting and work just fine !! Gremlins!!:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yike s:

greatrides
09-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Not sounding good!

Bfromla
09-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Knowing how vss can be wierd, but is for good reason, by chance could your passanger be bumping your park brake? Would not have to engage ,just bump. Seat sensor could also be loose as well & think you lost passanger ¿. Too many sensors can be aggravation. :banghead: Good luck:thumbup: also how big a bump? Here in Louisiana we have monsters & mine holds fine fyi 100%solo tho

chuck gross
09-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Yes this is pretty common on both of my spyders if I hit a good size bump it will kick off the cruise control.
I think that this must be a safety feature built into the Nanny.

Peter Aawen
09-05-2015, 12:10 AM
If your brake pedal is adjusted up too tight, hitting a bump can make the pedal move just enough that the pedal arm touches the brake light switch & that'll turn your cruise off!! If the pedal's adjusted so tight that the pedal arm then remains touching the switch (& it only needs to be the lightest of touches, the brake light doesn't even need to be activated!!) then your cruise won't go back on cos the brake disconnect will be still disabling whenever it tries!! :shocked:

It's something that's happened to quite a few bikes fitted with cruise control, not just Spyders, & many other riders have had a similar issue because they tended to ride with their foot just touching the brake pedal or even resting on it.... & cruise kept going off seemingly by itself!! :opps: Simple fix, keep your foot away from the brake pedal &/or slacken off the pedal adjust a tiny amount so that it won't bounce onto the brake light switch when you hit a bump or remain in contact with the switch once you have!! It's not a real 'problem' or a fault with anything; activating the brake & triggering that switch disables the cruise exactly as it is meant to, you just need to make sure it's only happening when you knowingly apply the brakes. ;)

So greatrides, it really does sound like the problem you (& others) are having could well be that the pedal is either adjusted too tight or your foot is touching it every now & then!! It can only be worth a try to to check the adjust &/or keep your foot clear of the pedal, & it could well solve your 'insolvable problem'! Good Luck! :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
09-05-2015, 12:17 AM
You've got to hit a pretty big bump to turn the cruise off so I would agree that it is probably a problem with the brake pedal or switch.

k7xi
09-05-2015, 01:51 AM
Same thing happened to me and then the cruise control wouldn't turn on again. Just knew i was in for a new cruise control switch.....Finally just touched the brakes and that seemed to reset the cruise. Might be set just a little too tight.

greatrides
09-06-2015, 08:15 AM
It goes back in the shop as soon as Brp and I come to an agreement on if I get a loner or not. I will check the brake pedal because when your doing 75 and it turns off people close real fast behind you!
Thank you for your thoughts and I will let you know the outcome!

greatrides
09-06-2015, 07:54 PM
So not only will it turn off but before that it will kick the stability light. That is what I should have asked...when this happens bump light and no cruise control.