PDA

View Full Version : Air Cleaner Replacement How To Needed

ricford
08-28-2015, 09:48 PM
Here's how to do it. Remove the frunk completely and set it aside. Jack the bike up at least 18 inches. Then remove the motor mounts and drop the motor at least 12 inches. Then.... Wrong??? OK perhaps that's not the way to do it. I do, however want to know actually how it's done. I have found no current videos on the subject and the 'hints' I've found are kinda vague. I took the tupperware off the right side today and looked and basically sewed the patient back up and sent him home. Replacing the mirror was not as easy as the videos show. One if the lower clips bent. I don't know if I did it or if it was from a previous removal at the dealership. Whatever. I've taken the clip off and straightened it out and expect tomorrow to put it back. Still leaves me with how exactly does one replace the stock air cleaner filter with a K&N one. Or even a factory part. It is a lot more complicated than removing some plastic. Some help would be welcomed.

Highwayman2013
08-28-2015, 09:58 PM
What year and model?

SpyderAnn01
08-28-2015, 10:23 PM
On the 14 RT it is easy, remove the left mirror, wind deflector and side panel. Then remove the acoustic panel and you can get at the air cleaner. Now if you have an older model RT you need tiny little hands!

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-28-2015, 10:23 PM
Here's how to do it. Remove the frunk completely and set it aside. Jack the bike up at least 18 inches. Then remove the motor mounts and drop the motor at least 12 inches. Then.... Wrong??? OK perhaps that's not the way to do it. I do, however want to know actually how it's done. I have found no current videos on the subject and the 'hints' I've found are kinda vague. I took the tupperware off the right side today and looked and basically sewed the patient back up and sent him home. Replacing the mirror was not as easy as the videos show. One if the lower clips bent. I don't know if I did it or if it was from a previous removal at the dealership. Whatever. I've taken the clip off and straightened it out and expect tomorrow to put it back. Still leaves me with how exactly does one replace the stock air cleaner filter with a K&N one. Or even a factory part. It is a lot more complicated than removing some plastic. Some help would be welcomed.

You know you could have made this lot easier if you had mentioned what Spyder you OWN........But I dug through your posts and discovered It's a 14 RT basic........Soooooooooooooooo you need to remove the very large panel on the left side ...the one just below the seat and glove box it has a small grill........THE TWO SHINY BOLT HEADS ARE NOT REMOVABLE THEY ARE FAKE ......if you didn't know that !!!!................after removal you will see a cap 3 inch round cap that has three screws holding it on.....remove those and the AIR FILTER can be pulled out..........hope this helps.......Mike :thumbup:

ricford
08-30-2015, 07:30 AM
Thanks Mike for that really valuable bit of info. I once saw a video on how to install the Kewelmotor air cleaner and the video was from the right side. Sooo I assumed that was how it was done. Your post says to go in from the left side. When next I attempt it, that's where I'll start. For some reason, putting the mirrors back on was not as easy as the video I saw shows. One of the paper clips bent. I've ordered new ones for the next go round and will just replace them (couple of small screws). That little plastic part with a clip cost $14 plus tax. The clip is $3. I bought the 2014 RT Basic because of the price. So all of the many upgrades I've done sees me still $5K less than a limited. And the handling and performance is great.

SpyderAnn01
08-30-2015, 09:34 AM
Thanks Mike for that really valuable bit of info. I once saw a video on how to install the Kewelmotor air cleaner and the video was from the right side. Sooo I assumed that was how it was done. Your post says to go in from the left side. When next I attempt it, that's where I'll start. For some reason, putting the mirrors back on was not as easy as the video I saw shows. One of the paper clips bent. I've ordered new ones for the next go round and will just replace them (couple of small screws). That little plastic part with a clip cost $14 plus tax. The clip is $3. I bought the 2014 RT Basic because of the price. So all of the many upgrades I've done sees me still $5K less than a limited. And the handling and performance is great.

You can bend the clips back with needle nose pliers. Have you bought a service manual? If not, you should really get one, the downloaded ones go for $25 or so.

DriftersWay
08-30-2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks Ann and Mike that's going to help me a lot.

Pampurrs
08-30-2015, 09:48 AM
If you haven't already, watch this video by Shawn Smook on how to change the oil on an RT. He does a really good job of explaining how to remove the mirrors and tupperware. Part two shows how to put everything back together.

Hope this helps.

Pam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPeb1YqV4Gw&feature=youtu.be