PDA

View Full Version : Cop detector

Rogue Hawk
08-28-2015, 11:42 AM
I respect law enforcement, but I am concerned about being singled out on the road for speed violations. Like a red sports car, a Spyder stands out. And the F3 can be seen as a hooligan bike. I have never used a radar-laser or whatever else is out there to detect device. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Bob Denman
08-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Yes...
Forget about it, and enjoy your ride... nojoke
:2thumbs:

Pampurrs
08-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Yes...

:agree:

Chupaca
08-28-2015, 12:07 PM
have never had luck with them. In most cases by the time they detect a radar you have already been clocked or can't slow down fast enough. Keep your eyes open (they work the best) and don't lead the pack...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-28-2015, 12:20 PM
Of course; NOT making yourself a target, is usually the best way to avoid trouble... :D

Pampurrs
08-28-2015, 12:23 PM
This is the first I've heard that the Spyder F3 is considered a "hooligan bike" ​:shocked:

Bob Denman
08-28-2015, 12:24 PM
Anything with a "Loud grip", can bring out the Hooligan in any of us! :D :thumbup:

MCML
08-28-2015, 12:32 PM
I used a radar detector for years. I now find it far more relaxing to take "speeding management" out of my riding mind set. Don't get me wrong, I love moving fast on a bike and, especially, acceleration. I have found, however, that for me the extra saved time/thrill from going faster than the speed limit is paid for with constant attention/angst and it is not worth the energy. YMMV

Bob Denman
08-28-2015, 12:40 PM
:agree: There's more to most journeys, than just shortening the straightaways... :thumbup:

pitzerwm
08-28-2015, 01:11 PM
I respect law enforcement, but I am concerned about being singled out on the road for speed violations. Like a red sports car, a Spyder stands out. And the F3 can be seen as a hooligan bike. I have never used a radar-laser or whatever else is out there to detect device. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Buy the best, a Passport, I've had them since they were invented and each one has paid for themselves within a month or so. I don't speed (+4-5) but you might have a speed limit change that you don't notice or a school zone. It's not the ticket that gets you but the screwing from the insurance company nicking you for the next 3 years. The minute I bought my bike I picked up one for it. I hate moving them around.

JkRbbt
08-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Hooligan bike???? Well,...., OK, COOL!! :thumbup: :roflblack:

ARtraveler
08-28-2015, 02:07 PM
I usually follow the posted plus 5 method and find it takes me safely through all the speed traps. By the time you see em, its to late anyway.

I believe the use of a detector sets you up for a heavier ticket if stopped. Might be hard to hide one on a :spyder2:--but I am just speculating on that.

There are plenty places where one can exceed the boundaries here--if so desired. I have driven all day on the highway and seen no Troopers or local police.

We have a pack of military who ride crotch rockets. They have tested out their prowess at over 150 on the Glenn Highway between Eagle River and Anchorage many times. I was there one time when about a half dozen LEO's pulled the whole pack over. :yikes:

MCML
08-28-2015, 02:31 PM
The last speeding ticket that I received was somewhere between Valdez and Anchorage. Middle of nowhere. My buddy's radar dectector had stopped working (I did not have one at the time). We heard the LEO say into his microphone that he had "just got numbers 13 and 14."

Radar might have helped on that one. If you do get a radar detector go with the Passport.

PrairieSpyder
08-28-2015, 02:57 PM
Yes...

:agree:

Hooligan bike???? Well,...., OK, COOL!! :thumbup: :roflblack:

:agree: Now I want one!

Orange Spyder Man
08-28-2015, 03:16 PM
I agree that the best radar detector is Passport... I have one in each of my vehicles with the exception of my Spyder.. just have not found a suitable mount.. but as soon as i do find a mount.. i'll mount one on my 2014 spyder RT.. i love my Passport IX9500... it has saved my butt more times than i can remember.. i don't usually speed on the interstates because 75 is fast enough for me... but where i get in trouble is when a 55 zone changes to a 45mph or 35mph... i am usually watching other vehicles or sight seeing, looking for a fuel station or restaurant..... but of coarse that's where the boys in blue like to set up.. because its money making thing..

osm

Cruzr Joe
08-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Carry a Badge ... :hun: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

Pampurrs
08-28-2015, 03:22 PM
The frunk is big enough for a couple dozen donuts, just sayin' :roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-28-2015, 04:54 PM
The frunk is big enough for a couple dozen donuts, just sayin' :roflblack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piqI7x0RR8s&feature=player_detailpage#t=18

GOZFST
08-28-2015, 05:03 PM
If you search the internet you will generally find that Valentine is rated the best, that said I use a Passport. If you are their target and they're using Laser you're toast. BUT if they zap the guy in front of you or come from behind and zap the guy behind you you will get plenty of warning. If they're using old K or X band, you'll get plenty of warning.

Gray Ghost
08-28-2015, 09:51 PM
I have to admit that a radar detector saved me from at least one speeding ticket (in a construction zone no less). It was a very small construction zone and I missed the sign warning of it. A trooper pulled me over and I was sitting in the front seat of his car about to get the lecture and the ticket. His pen was literally on the paper when he got a call on his radio about a speeder running a detector. He told me to get out of his car and took off. So whoever was running with a detector that saved my bacon. Of course it also taught me that the troopers loved catching folks trying to evade detection more than catching just normal speeders.

Motorcycledave
08-29-2015, 12:50 AM
Easy way to not be a target....
DON'T SPEED

aeroshots
08-29-2015, 08:42 AM
I have to admit that a radar detector saved me from at least one speeding ticket (in a construction zone no less). It was a very small construction zone and I missed the sign warning of it. A trooper pulled me over and I was sitting in the front seat of his car about to get the lecture and the ticket. His pen was literally on the paper when he got a call on his radio about a speeder running a detector. He told me to get out of his car and took off. So whoever was running with a detector that saved my bacon. Of course it also taught me that the troopers loved catching folks trying to evade detection more than catching just normal speeders.

Don't know, but I've been told the presence of the radar/laser detector shows intent to break the law. It seem that catching an intentional speeder would be more in keeping with the intent of speed enforcement tickets over warnings.

To the OP,
There was a time when certain manufactures would pay for your first ticket if you were using one of their units. A long,long time ago when I thought they worked, I purchased one that had such guarantee.