PDA

View Full Version : OIL - regarding the API service rating & JASO MA/MA2 - which is more important?

MelloYelloSpyder
08-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Okay, this is not an oil brand question; rather it is a question regarding the API service rating for a 2013 STS SM5. I have a couple of brands in mind for my upcoming oil change BUT bothe of them have an SN rating which if I remember the manual says not to use. They are both however rated for wet clutch with a JASO MA/MA2 rating. So should I pay more attention to the API or the JASO rating. The choices are all motorcycle specific oils. SUGGESTIONS?????:banghead::helpsmilie:

billybovine
08-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Your manual says,
"To avoid damaging theclutch, do not use a motor oil meeting
the API service SM or ILSACGF-4
classification. Clutch slippage will
occur."

I would think most motor oils that are rated SN are also rated SM. Why would you use an oil they tell you not to use? The shelves are full of lots of choices that are not rated SM.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-27-2015, 03:48 PM
SEE VALVOLINE POST I just brought back that thread.............you can't do much better ................and not at that price ......Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
08-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Tying to out smart the manufacturers spec's can become costly. :yikes: there are many oils that meet the specs...stick to them...jmo :thumbup:

latony007
08-28-2015, 05:04 PM
So i am getting ready to change the oil for the first time on the used spyder i bought back in January. I just called the stealer and said how much for an oil change......He said $380!!!!!! i said, after i recovered from passing out, dude this is not a Ferrari!!! He said well we also check the belt, lights, zerk fittings whatever that is and test and reset buds and that it took 3 fricken hours? Is this what everyone else experiences? I have only been to this dealer on one other occasion to have them put on the baja ron bar and they charged me for 2 hours even though they called me and said it was done within 1 so i dont have a good feeling about them. Why do all dealers have to rape us? Just like all these oil change threads. 11$ a quart for crappy synthetic blend when i can get full synth castrol or valvoline for half? If services were reasonable i would take them all to the dealer i think they lose more than they gain. I have noticed with bikes and car dealers since vehicles dont require the constant maintenance they used to that they replaced actually services with "check check check" they wanted 500$ on my car for the 15,000 mile service and the only thing they actually did was change the oil and air filter and the rest was checks checks checks. I told them to pound sand and just change the oil. Obviously i am going to investigate how hard it is to do it myself on the spyder, i change oil on my yamaha in 20 minutes tops. Anyone see issue with running 10w40 or do i need to stick with 5w40? I already have some castrol full synthetic 10w40 i use on my sport bike. Sorry to rant but just got off the phone with them and still in shock lol
Thanks

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-28-2015, 05:42 PM
So i am getting ready to change the oil for the first time on the used spyder i bought back in January. I just called the stealer and said how much for an oil change......He said $380!!!!!! i said, after i recovered from passing out, dude this is not a Ferrari!!! He said well we also check the belt, lights, zerk fittings whatever that is and test and reset buds and that it took 3 fricken hours? Is this what everyone else experiences? I have only been to this dealer on one other occasion to have them put on the baja ron bar and they charged me for 2 hours even though they called me and said it was done within 1 so i dont have a good feeling about them. Why do all dealers have to rape us? Just like all these oil change threads. 11$ a quart for crappy synthetic blend when i can get full synth castrol or valvoline for half? If services were reasonable i would take them all to the dealer i think they lose more than they gain. I have noticed with bikes and car dealers since vehicles dont require the constant maintenance they used to that they replaced actually services with "check check check" they wanted 500$ on my car for the 15,000 mile service and the only thing they actually did was change the oil and air filter and the rest was checks checks checks. I told them to pound sand and just change the oil. Obviously i am going to investigate how hard it is to do it myself on the spyder, i change oil on my yamaha in 20 minutes tops. Anyone see issue with running 10w40 or do i need to stick with 5w40? I already have some castrol full synthetic 10w40 i use on my sport bike. Sorry to rant but just got off the phone with them and still in shock lol
Thanks
....I can't wait until you find out about the imaginary "valve check " the stealers offer at only $ 650.00 + @ every 14,000 miles .......that you can't/won't prove was " EVER " done :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:........Mike :roflblack:

BajaRon
08-28-2015, 08:22 PM
Thanks

10/40 runs just fine. In my opinion, it's a better viscosity than the 5/40 BRP offers.

latony007
08-31-2015, 11:03 AM
10/40 runs just fine. In my opinion, it's a better viscosity than the 5/40 BRP offers.

Thanks Ron, so i should feel comfortable using the same oil i do in my Yamaha Sport bike? No way i am paying $380 for an oil change so i am going to do it myself soon. Hopefully easy.

They do have a "vtwin" version which i ran in my cruisers but its 20w50.

http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06078-10W-40-4-Stroke-Motorcycle/dp/B008MISDH4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1441036802&sr=1-1&keywords=castrol+10w40+motorcycle+oil&pebp=1441036784321&perid=02SK2CM8TVDEX6DD6VFJ

DrewNJ
08-31-2015, 03:17 PM
That oil will work just fine. Actually, the 20w-50 will too....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

latony007
08-31-2015, 03:44 PM

Thanks guys, would be nice to use the same oil in both bikes. Seems like with 6 quarts you wind up with an odd number of bottles laying around so using it on both should help :)

thanks! Wish me luck will be trying it soon, hopefully i can find a hwo to on Youtube or something but if anyone knows of anything let me know. I can do my yamaha easy but have never touched the spyder except to install the backrest.

BajaRon
08-31-2015, 06:57 PM

I agree. 20/50 is recommended for virtually this same engine in the Aprilia motorcycle. As long as you're not running in real cold weather I don't see a problem.

MikeT
08-31-2015, 10:29 PM
I JUST BROUGHT BACK that thread.............you can't do much better ................and not at that price ......Mike :thumbup:
FYI: The Valvoline 4T 10W-40 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil just went OUT OF STOCK on the Walmart website today.

latony007
09-01-2015, 11:05 AM
I agree. 20/50 is recommended for virtually this same engine in the Aprilia motorcycle. As long as you're not running in real cold weather I don't see a problem.

Im in So cal so no danger of that. But would like to stick with the 10w40 since its the same i use in my yamaha. Now just have to find a a "how to" on changing oil on this beast, and bleeding the brakes the bleed screw looks tough to get to.

Orange Spyder Man
09-01-2015, 11:15 AM
I just brought my 2014 Spyder RT in for its 3000 mile BRP mandatory check... I furnished the oil Castrol T4 FULL SYNTHETIC 5w40 has a SL rating.. I also furnished the oil filter HiFlo #556 & O-rings ... dealer charged $206 TOTAL... for changing oil, filter and preforming the 3000 mile check up...

osm

latony007
09-01-2015, 11:32 AM
I just brought my 2014 Spyder RT in for its 3000 mile BRP mandatory check... I furnished the oil Castrol T4 FULL SYNTHETIC 5w40 has a SL rating.. I also furnished the oil filter HiFlo #556 & O-rings ... dealer charged $206 TOTAL... for changing oil, filter and preforming the 3000 mile check up...

osm

That futher confirms my dealer sucks.

DrewNJ
09-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Changing the oil in the spyder is no more difficult than any other bike. I roll the front end up on car ramps. Pull the lower and side panels around the reservoir on the left side, drain the reservoir, drain the engine. The filter is right there behind the cover, pull the bolts, swap the filter and put it all back together. Add 3qts of oil to the reservoir, start it up for a min or 2, add your 4th qt. Done. If you have an SE you might need an additional 1/4 qt and another filter, but it's all right there and straight forward. No magic, takes a whopping 15-20 min. If you've done your other bike you won't struggle with the spyder.

jcthorne
09-05-2015, 06:14 AM
FYI: The Valvoline 4T 10W-40 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil just went OUT OF STOCK on the Walmart website today.

Its now gone from store shelves as well. I contacted Ashland and the product has been discontinued. Wal Mart has replaced it with a non synthetic Valvoline motorcycle oil on the shelves. They still have the full synthetic 20w50.

Is the consensus that the 20W50 would be fine in the 998 as long as I let the engine warm before riding if its sub freezing weather?

DrewNJ
09-05-2015, 06:22 AM
I'm running 15w-50 year round. Have been for awhile now. I ran amsoil 10w-40 prior to that. Still have a bunch on the shelf that will probably never get used.....

Jbax
10-24-2015, 09:31 PM
I was talking to someone about full synthetic oil in the 998cc motor he said it is bad on the clutch . Did I screw up on my oil change ?

sting1373
10-24-2015, 09:59 PM
I was talking to someone about full synthetic oil in the 998cc motor he said it is bad on the clutch . Did I screw up on my oil change ?
You can use certain full synthetic. See post #2 for the specifics. Its in the owners manual but read each of the bottles since they are clearly marked.

BajaRon
10-25-2015, 12:25 PM

As long as you stay within the parameters given by BRP for the 998 you're better off with a full synthetic oil than you are with a blend. So it depends on what oil you put in as to whether or not you made a mistake. The wrong blended oil is just as bad for the clutch as the wrong full synthetic.

Jbax
10-26-2015, 09:39 AM
Thanks everybody for the help

Deanna777
11-02-2015, 07:07 PM
I was on the Wal-Mart site and looked @ Castrol Oil Full Synthetic, for motorcycles. I did not see any.

Deanna

jaherbst
11-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Here we go again.:D By time you buy a Jack (pun intended), take time to go to Walmart, takeoff all the tupperware and replace it, clean up the mess, take another trip to get rid of the oil and then worry about "did I use the right oil. Oh damn, I forgot to change the filter--well you know what I mean. If you don't know what a Zerk is then maybe you should not be under the tupper ware. Just my thoughts.

I spent a lot of money for my Spyder and it only costs a little bit more to have a professional do professional work and check everything on the Spyder during the oil change. To me it is worth the peace of mind. At my age I don't have a lot of mind to spare!

That said it is with upmost importance to get a good Factory trained and certified Spyder Mech. that you trust and let no other touch your Spyder. Only one person has ever worked on either of my Spyders and RT-622 trailer. This keeps me a Happy Spyder Ryder and I don't lose sleep over what kind of oil to use. They use Genuine BRP products.

Jack

Pampurrs
11-02-2015, 07:51 PM
The motivation for many of us to do our own oil changes and other maintenance and repairs has little to do with saving money. We just enjoy the special relationship and intimacy that we have with our machines. If you'd prefer to sit in the customer lounge and sip coffee while someone else does the work, that's ok too.

Pam

jaherbst
11-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Personally I think it is all about the money. I'm trying to picture Pam with oil and grease all over her and lying under her Spyder and using those bad Man words when her wrench slips off.

More power to you Pam. Just remember to clean your nails before going out to dinner. :joke:

Pampurrs
11-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Personally I think it is all about the money. I'm trying to picture Pam with oil and grease all over her and lying under her Spyder and using those bad Man words when her wrench slips off.

More power to you Pam. Just remember to clean your nails before going out to dinner. :joke:

:cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus: :cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus: :cus::cus::cus:

:roflblack:

Pam

jaherbst
11-02-2015, 09:44 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119054&stc=1Picture of Pam at a young tender age working on her Motorcycle. ;)

JKMSPYDER
11-02-2015, 10:20 PM
I do my own oil changes and other maintenance for two reasons. 1. I save money. 2. I know it is done right as I am very particular. I have a good dealer whom I trust, but if I do it, any mistake is on me. I have heard of some dealers charging customers for the oil filters but not changing them or charging for O rings but not changing them. Also, a dealer may overfill or underfill the oil tank. I don't blame anyone for using a dealer for all their maintenance if the owner can't or won't do it.

Ben Burped
11-02-2015, 11:14 PM
Thanks

Get a kit and do it yourself. You just have to take off some of the plastic on the left side. You need a t-30 socket and a 6MM (I think) socket and you can do it. The "zerk" fittings are on the front suspension and are difficult to get a grease gun on them. All things considered, you can still buy everything that you need and keep a lot of your hard earned cash in your pocket.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-02-2015, 11:23 PM
Its now gone from store shelves as well. I contacted Ashland and the product has been discontinued. Wal Mart has replaced it with a non synthetic Valvoline motorcycle oil on the shelves. They still have the full synthetic 20w50.

Is the consensus that the 20W50 would be fine in the 998 as long as I let the engine warm before riding if its sub freezing weather?

Well JC, Walmart must have a ton of it to get rid of because I just bought some more.....just sayin......Mike :thumbup: