PDA

View Full Version : Spyder in the Smokies

Roadster Renovations
08-27-2015, 12:00 PM
Those of you going to Spyder in the Smokies might want to stop in and say HI! You are going to be riding the Dragon anyway, stop in at the Hub!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=114719&stc=1

http://dochumphreys.wix.com/roadster#!specials/c16up

spyderjo333
09-23-2015, 04:12 PM
We have just learned about the Tail of the Dragon. We've only lived in the Carolinas for 7 years and so this area we are still learning about. Also, we have
had our Spyder for 4 months. I had never even sat on a motorcycle until we bought it. Any advice on doing the Tail of the Dragon on a Spyder?

pwm
09-23-2015, 09:43 PM
We have just learned about the Tail of the Dragon. We've only lived in the Carolinas for 7 years and so this area we are still learning about. Also, we have
had our Spyder for 4 months. I had never even sat on a motorcycle until we bought it. Any advice on doing the Tail of the Dragon on a Spyder?
Depends on how comfortable you are riding it. There are a lot of turns and can be intimidating for a first timer. Take it easy, don't let anyone push you. Ride it on a week day rather than a busy weekend especially with the leaf lookers coming into town. And finally, get a BBQ sandwich from the Hub.

spyderjo333
09-24-2015, 04:13 PM
Pwm, what would be your top speed on tail of the dragon for most of the turns? I saw it on Google maps, the street view. It is curvy.

blacklightning
09-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Pwm, what would be your top speed on tail of the dragon for most of the turns? I saw it on Google maps, the street view. It is curvy.
It is definitely curvy, but as with any other road, you need to go at your own pace. I will have a passenger with me (my wife) for the first time ever. Normally I go as fast as possible, but you can bet I will be going very slowly this fall.

BikerDoc
09-24-2015, 06:21 PM
The top speed is set by rider experience, configuration of bike i.e. what shocks, sway bar etc, 1up or 2 up., weather conditions.. It just isn't a question that has an answer that transfers numerically from one person to the next. Most folks try it easy then step it up a notch each time they ride it afterwards and become more experienced. The drop offs are severe in places. It isn't a place where you want to make a mistake. There are also lots of other rides in the area less brutal and I believe actually more scenic

donkes
09-24-2015, 06:27 PM
Do the speed at your comfort level. the dragon is overrated. People that get into trouble are the hotshots. take ur time and enjoy it

pwm
09-24-2015, 08:16 PM
Looks like others have answered this for me. Top speed is your comfort level and the Sheriff Departments participation as they patrol on a regular basis.

There are sections where you can blast it and others where its hard to do the speed limit. I usually tick of the nanny 8 or 9 times when I ride it.

US 28 over to Cherokee is a much better ride. The Devils Triangle is a much better ride than the Dragon as well.

Geeky Ryder
09-25-2015, 09:49 AM

I rode the Dragon last fall having only a couple thousand miles experience. Only got out of second gear a couple of times! Haha. You don't have time to look at the beautiful scenery. I'm sure it is much better on 2-wheels. As a newbie, you should probably go slow. There are a few spots to pull over and let the speed freaks go on around. I recommend you use them often! Haha. Hope you enjoy it and don't end up on the "tree of shame"! Enjoy.

dlby
09-25-2015, 09:53 AM
Its ok but so many beautiful scenic rides where you can actually look around
Cherahola Skyway! For example

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

ingramwc
09-25-2015, 12:51 PM
Be sure to have a BajaRon sway bar installed before you ride the Dragon!!!! This improves handling, especially in the corners. You'll be glad you did!
Ride safe and enjoy the ride!:thumbup:

blacklightning
09-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Be sure to have a BajaRon sway bar installed before you ride the Dragon!!!! This improves handling, especially in the corners. You'll be glad you did!
Ride safe and enjoy the ride!:thumbup:
I have got to get a chance to ride a spyder with the BajaRon sway bar. I have taken my 2014 RT on the dragon, the Rattler, the Snake, and plenty of other mountain roads. And I think that it handles great! If this sway bar makes that much of a difference, I may want to look into one of those. But as for now, I am totally satisfied.

spyderjo333
09-26-2015, 09:48 AM
Thanks everyone for your ideas about Tail of the Dragon. My husband is the one who will be driving. I'm just along for the ride. I did the Google map
street view and it does look like a pretty ride that I will mostly be able to watch. I did see some areas to pull over. Do you have much trouble with speeders
behind you on this road?

jcasey
09-26-2015, 10:03 AM
There are people that like the challenge of speed. Get over to the right or pull over and let them go. The main thing ride at a speed where you can STAY IN YOUR LANE. A lot of the accidents are people in the wrong lane causing problems with people coming in the other direction. Relax and have fun. For scenic ride the sky way is better.:thumbup:

Orange Spyder Man
09-26-2015, 10:06 AM
watch the speed limit closely around the Tail of the Dragon... cops hide with radar guns... don't know about you .. I don't like donating to their cause...

osm