PDA

View Full Version : trunk light

brutus450
01-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Has anyone made a trunk light that actually works like a trunk light? I know you are "supposed" to use the button on the handle bars but to me that is just plain idiotic. :shocked:

I am in the process of making a real light. A light mounted INSIDE the trunk that automatically comes on BY ITSELF when you lift the trunk lid that actually will light up the inside on the trunk.:2excited:

that way you wont have to hold the STUPID button down and rely on the reflection of the headlights when you are fumbling around in the trunk.

what the :cus: were they thinking when that made THAT feature?:banghead:

I'll post pics when its done

BRPjunkie
01-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Small round stick on battery operated light with stick on or velcro back available at harware, Walmart or dollar stores works fine. Stick it on the inside wall of the trunk and push on and off. No wiring. KISS method works for me.

NancysToy
01-14-2009, 10:18 PM
We just carry a small Maglite in the trunk liner pocket.
-Scotty

tnfleming
01-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Motorcycling seems to be where cars were 30-40 years ago. Lots of third party add-ons were necessary. The the manufacturers learned to make the $$ themselves and put the car stereo folks outa business. I wonder why motorcycles are sold bare bones? I've put on a bunch of expensive add ons that coulda been done cheaper in factory.

BRPjunkie
01-14-2009, 10:41 PM
We just carry a small Maglite in the trunk liner pocket.
-Scotty

Another KISS method.

brutus450
01-15-2009, 08:28 PM
yeah.........but...............when I am done

you wont be able to make it anymore simpler!:D

aubierules
02-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Small round stick on battery operated light with stick on or velcro back available at harware, Walmart or dollar stores works fine. Stick it on the inside wall of the trunk and push on and off. No wiring. KISS method works for me.
GOOD ONE!:D

tjfischer
02-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Thats a great Idea. :cheers:

I may do the same. If you go to your local RV store you can get a cabinet light that will do exacatly what you descirbe (10 - 15 bucks). then all you need to do is find a place to mount it, and do the wiring.

4leafpat
02-27-2009, 03:49 PM
My Akuma helmet has a built in map light :doorag:

tatt2r
02-27-2009, 03:53 PM
i put a strip of LCD lights on back wall of trunk and a small toggle switch ... very bright low amp. and simple to run ...:coffee:

trikester
02-27-2009, 11:34 PM

My God - why didn't I think of that! I have used several of those "stick-on lights" in places where I needed a quick but short time period light. I never thought of using one on the lid of my Spyder trunk.

I'm going to do that tomorrow!

0228lisa
03-20-2009, 09:13 PM

Duh.....why didn't I think of that. Have one in my entertainment center cabinet so I should have known.:banghead:

xpeschon
04-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Is there any Deer hunter's out there? You know them lights that you buy at Wal-mart every year that strap's to you forhead? Well how about this, take off the strap and there is normally a clip on where the strap was,, or some of the lights come with a clip, they are LED, I ran across one of these lights I bought last year in Wal-mart and I am going to try and incorparate it into a trunk light, we'll see.

Joe

jeuchler
04-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Has anyone made a trunk light that actually works like a trunk light? I know you are "supposed" to use the button on the handle bars but to me that is just plain idiotic. :shocked:

I am in the process of making a real light. A light mounted INSIDE the trunk that automatically comes on BY ITSELF when you lift the trunk lid that actually will light up the inside on the trunk.:2excited:

that way you wont have to hold the STUPID button down and rely on the reflection of the headlights when you are fumbling around in the trunk.

what the :cus: were they thinking when that made THAT feature?:banghead:

I'll post pics when its done

I actually had a dream last night that a tech update came out from BRP that, during the pre-delivery inspection, dealers were supposed to affix a large piece of adhesive backed reflective material to the inside of the trunk lid. Then when you hit that button to turn on the headlights when the lid is open, the trunk lid would be at the perfect angle to reflect the light down into the trunk.

(Well, yes, actually, I have had weirder motorcycle-theme dreams...)

tatt2r
04-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I actually had a dream last night that a tech update came out from BRP that, during the pre-delivery inspection, dealers were supposed to affix a large piece of adhesive backed reflective material to the inside of the trunk lid. Then when you hit that button to turn on the headlights when the lid is open, the trunk lid would be at the perfect angle to reflect the light down into the trunk.

i had the same dream .......:shocked::shocked::shocked::gaah:

NancysToy
04-12-2009, 01:48 PM

I'm beginning to worry about you! :joke:
-Scotty

Roaddog2
04-12-2009, 06:34 PM
i had the same dream .......:shocked::shocked::shocked::gaah:and you did something about it:ani29:

Motza
08-04-2009, 10:12 PM
I used a "DOT IT" Led light with velcro you can move the lens to shine all around the trunk...

Spyder#353
08-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Is there any Deer hunter's out there? You know them lights that you buy at Wal-mart every year that strap's to you forhead? Well how about this, take off the strap and there is normally a clip on where the strap was,, or some of the lights come with a clip, they are LED, I ran across one of these lights I bought last year in Wal-mart and I am going to try and incorparate it into a trunk light, we'll see.

Joe

I did that 6 month age. And it works GREAT. Velcro is no good. Every time you put something into the trunk, it would be knock off. So I SUPER GLUED it and it's still hanging there. With it glued to the wall you still can change the batteries.

lightman02
08-05-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm working on a true auto trunk light, I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

wolfshead1
08-05-2009, 07:20 AM
The light you wear on your head is a great idea.Let's say your riding at night and have a flat.You can use both hands and still have light.If you store this light near the top of the trunk you can use it to find items in the trunk.Dual purpose.

wolfshead1

Dochands
08-12-2009, 08:02 AM
There is a gap between the trunk and bike body that with the trunk liner (its rubber lip makes it snug and rattle free) is a perfect pocket for a small Magnalite.

I keep one there for emergencies and also to shine in the trunk if need be. Its a perfect little storage space and there is one on each side of course. And being black it blends in.