PDA

View Full Version : Tri-axis (yes, another TA thread)

Woodsrider
08-27-2015, 08:53 AM
So I'm assuming my '14 won't sell and ordered a chrome tri-axis kit. If for some crazy reason it sells before the kit gets here next week I'll have a Tri-axis for sale cheap :).

Dealer wants $325 - 350 to install. I watched the Finless Bob 3 part video, and still have to ask the group wisdom....should I do this myself? EDIT: Triangle Cycles in Durham just quoted $225, I think that makes it a no-brainer.

I've got all the tools and space, restore cars and bikes as a hobby, but not so good at standing for long periods anymore and shaky hands. I break projects up now and take small bites of the elephant. :yikes:

Second question is, if I should have a pro do it, is that a reasonable price? I know pitbull is a lot cheaper but they are far far away. Would love to hear some other NC prices.

jcthorne
08-27-2015, 09:13 AM
350 implies 3 to 4 hours labor. I could not do them in that amount of time. Sound fair. Only you can put a value on your time. I have done 2 sets now and helped with one more. Its not a bad job, but is a long one.

garb55
08-27-2015, 11:30 AM
I put mine on
It took me about 6 hrs.[did not rush] had to have several beers in between
It is by far the hardest mod I've done on my :spyder2:

Chupaca
08-27-2015, 11:41 AM
sound fair if you are hesitant. It is involved and standing is pretty much the whole job. Although a couple days off and a road trip to MO could be refreshing,..:roflblack: hope you get them on in time to enjoy the new ryde...:thumbup:

finless
08-27-2015, 01:26 PM
350 implies 3 to 4 hours labor. I could not do them in that amount of time. Sound fair. Only you can put a value on your time. I have done 2 sets now and helped with one more. Its not a bad job, but is a long one.

+100...

It's not hard but a LONG process... I would say to do it yourself and take your time even if you spread it over say 2 days.
You get to learn a lot about your Spyder in the process which if you plan to keep it is a good thing.

Bob

JayBros
08-27-2015, 01:39 PM
That's $250 is a very reasonable price. I paid $325 at Honda of W-S. I have the tools and mechanical skill but after watching finless bob's video I decided I had made the right decision to have dealer do it. If you are satisfied with the work the Durham dealer does, go for it.

Woodsrider
08-27-2015, 02:18 PM
That's $250 is a very reasonable price. I paid $325 at Honda of W-S. I have the tools and mechanical skill but after watching finless bob's video I decided I had made the right decision to have dealer do it. If you are satisfied with the work the Durham dealer does, go for it.

I'm leaning that way. I took my 2012 RT down to parade rest when installing tons of farkles, one of the reasons this bike has remained largely farkeless....the RT has a way of swallowing dropped fasteners in impossible to reach cubbys, and I just hate (read...hate), removing the mirrors for any reason. I'd kinda rather spend the wrenching time on one of my old clunkers, since I know I can't afford to take that work to a shop :)

HVACR Guy
08-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Here in Ontario, Canada I got mine installed in 2 1/2 hours @ $100/hr. Was quoted 4 1/2 to 5 hours from another dealer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk