PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT - Fog light question

Jim&Teresa
08-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Hi all,

Just wanting your knowledge on the fog light electrical. Mine stopped working.

What fuse and/or relay do I need to check for this? I did check the forum and manual....however, I need your expert advice.

No error codes, all other systems appear to be working including all lights other than the fog lights.

Thanks, in advance, for any help to locate the problem.

PMK
08-25-2015, 11:37 AM
I just studied the wire schematic about this.

Before going all in, see if the horn, heated grips have failed also.

The fog lights, grips, and horn share a circuit. May even be more, I found those to be simple to test, especially if the horn works or not.

The relay control these items is Rt Fuse Box R4, The fuse is Right Fuse Box F5

Might see if the relay is displaced first if the horn is inop.

PK

PMK
08-25-2015, 11:41 AM
Want to add, the horn is fused only, the lights and heated grips are on the relay.

Horn good should indicate a good fuse. Horn fail is a bad fuse.

Horn good would lean towards check the relay for being properly seated or replace with another relay to test.

PK

Doc - Riverside
08-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Hi all,

Just wanting your knowledge on the fog light electrical. Mine stopped working.

What fuse and/or relay do I need to check for this? I did check the forum and manual....however, I need your expert advice.

No error codes, all other systems appear to be working including all lights other than the fog lights.

Thanks, in advance, for any help to locate the problem.

1. Does the horn work? If YES fuse F5 in Right Fuse Box is good. If NO replace F5 (25 amp) and test the fog lights with the engine running.

2. If horn is working start the engine and turn on the driver heated hand grips. Are they heating up? If Yes-- load shedding relay is working (R4 right fuse box) and the problem with the fog lights is in the fog light switch or the wiring /connectors to the light assembly or strangely both bulbs burnt out. If the grips don't heat up reseat the relay and test again. If they still don't heat up replace the relay

PMK
08-25-2015, 01:41 PM
I guess I will go with the concept that Doc Riverside has me on his ignore list since he basically rewrote my exact words 8 minutes after I posted them...
Kind of freaky on my end...

PK

Doc - Riverside
08-25-2015, 01:45 PM
I guess I will go with the concept that Doc Riverside has me on his ignore list since he basically rewrote my exact words 8 minutes after I posted them...
Kind of freaky on my end...

PK

No that is not the case. I was looking at the wiring diagram as I was typing up a reply. Do you want me to send you a PM notifying you what I'm doing before I submit a reply? What I wrote was a step by step troubleshooting guide.

Jim&Teresa
08-25-2015, 03:08 PM
Want to add, the horn is fused only, the lights and heated grips are on the relay.

Horn good should indicate a good fuse. Horn fail is a bad fuse.

Horn good would lean towards check the relay for being properly seated or replace with another relay to test.

PK

All other lights, horn, etc. work. Maybe the relay - thank you for your help...

I did NOT check the heated grips yet, but sounds like the fog lights and heated grips are on the same relay.

Jim&Teresa
08-25-2015, 03:11 PM
1. Does the horn work? If YES fuse F5 in Right Fuse Box is good. If NO replace F5 (25 amp) and test the fog lights with the engine running.

2. If horn is working start the engine and turn on the driver heated hand grips. Are they heating up? If Yes-- load shedding relay is working (R4 right fuse box) and the problem with the fog lights is in the fog light switch or the wiring /connectors to the light assembly or strangely both bulbs burnt out. If the grips don't heat up reseat the relay and test again. If they still don't heat up replace the relay

OK, great. Thank you for your help. I'll check that relay...horn works.

I always start the RT when checking the fog lights and other lights.

Jim&Teresa
08-25-2015, 03:35 PM
Horn, heated grips, and all other lights work.

Thanks to you all who responded to help me troubleshoot this issue. Checked all fuses and relays and pushed all of them back into their sockets a little while I had the fuse box open. All looked in order.

I then went to the switch and flipped it back off and on several times with just a little more force than normal...YES...it's the switch. Fog lights came on right away and worked for both on and off several times. Now I'm wondering if its a total switch replacement or can I just use contact cleaner???

Thanks again for your help.

Doc - Riverside
08-25-2015, 04:32 PM
Glad my steps helped you isolate the issue. You can take the switch apart, clean it and reqrease it with dielectric grease but before doing that just exercise the crap out of the switch and it should help clean the contacts. I never turn the switch off.

pitzerwm
08-26-2015, 01:54 AM
And/or use contact cleaner on the switch. In my case it was 2 burned out bulbs.