PDA

View Full Version : Shocks and cup holders

Hawkmoon
08-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Now that I had the RT for a few weeks time to start adding frakles. First up is cup holders for both the wife and me, looking for suggestions. Second is suspension upgrade, any place other than can am to get front shocks?

Highwayman2013
08-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Fox or Elka. Go for the sway bar upgrade first.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23928-New-sponsor-here-for-Filters-amp-Helmets

pitzerwm
08-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Check out the search feature you will be surprised how many suggestions and ideas have been given before.

I have Elka and I assume that everyone is right that they are great, however IMO the company has no customer service. They don't return phone calls or emails. If you get a real person they let you know that you are bothering them.

Cruzr Joe
08-24-2015, 09:28 PM
Check out Lamonster's Spyder Cuff with Cup Holder, pretty neat, and do the Baja Ron sway bar upgrade before you decide on shocks

Cruzr joe

Centurion
08-25-2015, 06:09 AM
BajaRon also sells shock adjusters for the OEM shocks that several members have purchased. Check out his link in the vendor section.

currin20fan
08-25-2015, 06:52 AM
I have cup holders & passenger arm rests from Diamond R. They have chrome spyder designs.

Bob Denman
08-25-2015, 07:42 AM
BajaRon should be your first call! :thumbup:

Oh! Just to make it easier on everybody... it helps if your put some information about which Spyder you have in your signature line. :D

Hawkmoon
08-25-2015, 11:03 AM
BajaRon should be your first call! :thumbup:

Oh! Just to make it easier on everybody... it helps if your put some information about which Spyder you have in your signature line. :D Not sure why it didn't show up but it is there.

robmorg
08-25-2015, 01:19 PM
Check out the search feature you will be surprised how many suggestions and ideas have been given before.

I have Elka and I assume that everyone is right that they are great, however IMO the company has no customer service. They don't return phone calls or emails. If you get a real person they let you know that you are bothering them. Kinda like BRP Customer Service, huh? :sour:

Sorry, don't like to be negative, but your quote just fit my current experience with BRP Customer Service to a "T".

robmorg
08-25-2015, 01:38 PM
Now that I had the RT for a few weeks time to start adding frakles. First up is cup holders for both the wife and me, looking for suggestions. Second is suspension upgrade, any place other than can am to get front shocks?As for the cup holder, I like Revco's chrome or black cup holder for the RT. They make a bracket that attaches the cup holder to the back of the right handle bar control module. I don't use one in the rear, but there are some available aftermarket.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/O0DlzAqx0oMwJRpsHs7Akv0ljTATuKK8P8nJE_XhoTo=w503-h428-no

Now, as for shocks, the Elka's would indeed make a nice difference, but they are a bit costly. I agree with the suggestion above to contact BajaRon (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23928-New-sponsor-here-for-Filters-amp-Helmets) first. He makes both a beefier sway bar and a set of shock adjusters for the RT. Both of them tremendously improved the handling and cornering on my RT. More information on my Farkles Page here (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?70861-Rob-s-Mods-amp-Farkles). (See the second post.) While you're there, you may want to browse the other Mods posts in that forum section to see what others have added to their Spyder.

beadaholic
08-26-2015, 08:30 PM
I don't understand why the shocks are so expensive for an RT? Is it price gouging or am I missing something? Shocks for cars are not that expensive (at least on the ones I have owned, mostly Nissan, VW, Honda), I was looking at Elkas and a 3 way is like close to $1000!!! whew......I have the bajaron sway bar on order but it probably needs the shocks too? Just curious what the deal is.

LisaLimited
08-26-2015, 09:07 PM
I had the Elka shocks installed at Spyderfest and am very happy with the change to my RT. I did not do the sway bar and didn't feel the need for the laser alignment. The shocks took the "dive" out of my front end and made curves and cornering much more enjoyable. I really felt the difference when riding the Black Hills area during the Sturgis rally. I did adjust them stiffer than they were originally installed.

Wished I had looked at the forum before I bought my cup holder. It is nice, but in the way every time I get gas.

Terry L
08-26-2015, 11:33 PM
I had the Elka shocks installed on my 2014 RT and 3,000 miles later the Rt. shock was leaking. Called my Dealer and was contacted by Elka and was e-mailed a shipping label plus dealer sent my originals to me. Can Am dealer in Phoenix wanted $240 to remove them. $120/hr. With min. of 2hrs. $240 to take them off plus I had to leave it until he could put them back on or pay another $240 to get them put back on. Found a motorcycle mechanic that did it for $70. Sent them to WV. and got them back within two weeks. Mechanic did not want to put them back on due to the difficulty he had putting the stock shocks on without taking the Fronk off. Watched a couple of YouTube's and took the Fronk off and put the shocks on myself and then I found out the bushings were missing from the shock they repaired, sent both. They called and asked why I had sent both when they were received. Called Elka and was told that I must have lost the bushings but they would send another set. Put the original shocks back on and received the bushings a week later. Removed the Fronk, again, and put the shocks on. Took off on a 8,000 mile trip and in MI. stopped at a Can Am dealer that noticed my Lt. Shock was leaking and he thought the one that was repaired was also leaking. Called my Dealer and he said it would be alright to finish my trip and then get them repaired. Home now and Stock shocks are back on my Spyder and I, again, had to take the Fronk off and waiting for my repaired shocks. I now have the liquid from the shock on my plastic panels that I have not found anything that will remove it plus it feels like it is embedded into the plastic. The clips that hold my mirrors are bending and need to be replaced. My front tires are wearing down uneven and went to get new tires today and the tire man said that the uneven wear was probably due to the bad shocks since it does not pull to the rt. or lt. I also have the BajaRon sway bar on and would advice to get that first before getting an upgrade in shocks. If you do get Elka shocks may be your luck will be better than mine! Dealer in Phoenix is now charging $120/hr. With NO min. Taking that Fronk off is NO FUN for an old man, may just leave the stock shocks on!

LisaLimited
08-27-2015, 12:46 AM
Sorry you have had so much trouble. I'll be watching mine for any problems!

spacetiger
08-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Now that I had the RT for a few weeks time to start adding frakles. First up is cup holders for both the wife and me, looking for suggestions. Second is suspension upgrade, any place other than can am to get front shocks?

Depending on why you are changing shocks, you could just change the springs out on the oem shock. This is what I did on my 2012 RTS. If you can remove the shocks, then spring, the cost to go this route is about $75 per spring. I also changed the rear spring and didn't require the air bag anymore.

Front shocks: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?60792-2012-RT-S-SE5-Front-Suspension
Rear shock: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?61674-2012-RT-S-SE5-Rear-Suspension-%28shock%29
Dialing in the front shocks: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?76070-Dialing-in-your-front-shocks-lots-of-pics

Jerry

Terry L
08-27-2015, 01:25 PM
Read your work that you are doing and am amazed at your knowledge on Shocks! I went into a panic when the bushings were not in the shock when I got it back! I had NO idea what they looked like and was not sure how I was going to push them through the shock. After riding at least 5,000 miles on Elka shocks, with one that had to have lost all of it's oil, I do believe their Spring is what makes them so good. Riding with the stock shocks at the present waiting for the Elka's, but really hate to put them back on. Does anyone make a shock with a spring as large as Elka?
Terry

spacetiger
08-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Read your work that you are doing and am amazed at your knowledge on Shocks! I went into a panic when the bushings were not in the shock when I got it back! I had NO idea what they looked like and was not sure how I was going to push them through the shock. After riding at least 5,000 miles on Elka shocks, with one that had to have lost all of it's oil, I do believe their Spring is what makes them so good. Riding with the stock shocks at the present waiting for the Elka's, but really hate to put them back on. Does anyone make a shock with a spring as large as Elka?
Terry

2 sources of good springs:
- Eibach: http://eibach.com/sites/devperformance-suspension.eibach.com/files/catalogs/ERS_19_US.pdf
- Hypercoil: http://www.hypercoils.com/skin/frontend/enterprise/hyperco/pdf/Parts_List.pdf

I used Eibach on my 2012 RTS but will try Hypercoil on my 2013 ST. I know the rear needs help, the front are on the edge of being okay (still a bit soggy in the turns). I'll post the ST mods once I get a few other bike projects out of the way.

Jerry

Bob Denman
08-27-2015, 05:35 PM
Not sure why it didn't show up but it is there.

Thanks! :thumbup:
There might be a "Save Changes" button hanging around in there, and it's easy to miss! :D