PDA

View Full Version : stock market

bmccaffrey
08-24-2015, 07:47 PM
I'm getting to old for this game and that is what it is.

If someone farts side ways the market reacts.

The money i lost last Friday and today i could have bought a new spyder.

Think i'm going to hang my planner :gaah:

Good time to get in. Can't get out yet.:banghead:

spacetiger
08-24-2015, 08:10 PM

If that is all you lost, you are lucky...

ThreeWheels
08-24-2015, 08:21 PM
Did you lose money ?
Or not make as much as you'd hoped ?
You don't lose money until you cash out.
The real problem is, the stock market no longer has any fundamentals.
It's legalized gambling. If anyone burps, the herd panics and takes out all their money.
Yes, a great time to get in.
A bad time to get out.

They'll do something in china, like get a new president, and then everyone will be happy again.

ARtraveler
08-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Those who are in the market through 401K's and for the long term are probably going to be all right.

Those who are done investing, retired, and expecting to live off of what we had, are the ones who are in peril. Agree that the gamblers have screwed up the market for the average person.

Watching the balance go down daily is a very unsettling thing for me.

Chupaca
08-24-2015, 08:36 PM
but have gone through several of the ups and downs and it seems to always come back. You don't lose till you sell at the bottom. Your just not worth as much..for now...there are those who will make a killing with this just don't have thier money...:banghead::banghead:

exwinger
08-24-2015, 09:10 PM
Stock market is legalized theft and any excuse at all will suffice for trading to be affected . Traders don't care whether stocks go up or down , as long as they move they make money . Get it on the news and people react and start the frenzy and brokers are making money.

Gas prices are the same thing ...legalized theft . Refinery on the West coast affecting gas prices on the East coast ....doubt it . We have a major brand refinery less than 150 miles from where I live and their prices are right up with the rest . Bet you a dollar that soon after labor day prices drop as the refineries are miraculously back in production.

oldguyinTX
08-24-2015, 09:18 PM
I know someone, an old enemy of mine who compulsively checks the stock market about ten times a day. If he lost his shirt, I'm OK with that. Anyone in the Spyder community that took a hit, as I did, I am very sorry for you, and hope that you have a way of getting back at least some of what you lost. What goes down, eventually comes back up.

Cruzr Joe
08-24-2015, 09:45 PM
I'm getting to old for this game and that is what it is.

If someone farts side ways the market reacts.

Think i'm going to hang my planner :gaah:

Good time to get in. Can't get out yet.:banghead:

I agree, looks like i will not be getting a 2016, unless the market comes back or my wife leaves town for a while.

Cruzr Joe

DJFaninTN
08-24-2015, 11:28 PM
just remember we are not always going to make money. just think of how much you profited over the years? in the long run it normally works itself out but with how much the fed has been pumping the market for the past few years it does need a correction.

Bob Denman
08-25-2015, 07:03 AM
:shocked: Thank goodness that I have only invested in food,shelter, and clothing... :D

Seriously: I'm not even gonna take a PEEK at what is happening... :gaah:

ThreeWheels
08-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Aug 25 (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures rose sharply on Tuesday, a day after Wall Street turned in its worst performance in four years, sending all three major indexes into correction mode.
An index is considered to be in correction when it closes 10 percent below its 52-week high.
S&P 500 e-minis were up 57.75 points, or 3.09 percent, with 416,473 contracts traded by 6:05 a.m. ET.
Nasdaq 100 e-minis were up 137.25 points, or 3.43 percent, on volume of 63,661 contracts.
Dow e-minis were up 475 points, or 3.02 percent, with 54,585 contracts traded.

See, I told you. Herd mentality.

Bob Denman
08-25-2015, 08:16 AM
:shocked: Does this mean that I can put away the shotgun now? :D

PrairieSpyder
08-25-2015, 08:18 AM
Those who are in the market through 401K's and for the long term are probably going to be all right.

Those who are done investing, retired, and expecting to live off of what we had, are the ones who are in peril. Agree that the gamblers have screwed up the market for the average person.

Watching the balance go down daily is a very unsettling thing for me.

:agree: If you're in it for the long run, you should ride it out. I pull money from my IRA based on a percentage of total value, and recalculate every year. So it really does affect those of us who are retired. My Dad has been hit worse because his account is bigger and he relies on it more.

Did you lose money ?
Or not make as much as you'd hoped ?
You don't lose money until you cash out.
The real problem is, the stock market no longer has any fundamentals.
It's legalized gambling. If anyone burps, the herd panics and takes out all their money.
Yes, a great time to get in.
A bad time to get out.

They'll do something in china, like get a new president, and then everyone will be happy again.

But like AKSpyderman said, some of us are in the "getting out" phase, and have no choice.

I agree about the fundamentals. It high levels are because the Fed has interest rates at 0% and investors need to put their capital somewhere. I think this sell-off had a lot to do with the Fed just hinting at raising rates.

billybovine
08-25-2015, 08:31 AM
It looks and smells like capitulation. That means since the markets have been going down for a while and a large number of investors decide they have had enough. They start selling no matter the price. That makes more investors decide to do the same thing. Then the short sellers and bargain hunters start to buy. That drive the prices up. Those investors that are still skittish will start to sell because they won't lose as much as they did yesterday. That will drive the prices down again. The short sellers that missed their chance to take a profit 2 days ago will start buying again, along with the bargain hunters. This can go on for days or a month. The day to day market is driven by emotion.

Bob Denman
08-25-2015, 08:31 AM
:gaah: That's it... The "PowerBall Retirement Plan", is back on! :thumbup:

Dan McNally
08-25-2015, 08:49 AM
Unless you sell when the market is down, you didn't lose a cent. You still have just as many shares as you had, and, as the market comes back up, so does the value of those shares.

If you are not planning to need that money in the next five years or so, let it ride. If you need it sooner, then it shouldn't be in mutual funds or stocks, anyhow.

I've told my kids to stick to mutual funds for most of their working lives, and, gradually move into less risky (but still diversified) things, starting about five years before retirement. I did that with my 401K, and did very well - I wish there had been one around for my entire working career, rather than just the last 20 or so years.

The 401K was the best invention since ice cream!

bmccaffrey
08-25-2015, 08:05 PM
It's amazing the amount of opinions.
Almost like tires.

This is my IRA.For someone to say is that all u lost is absurd.
$20000.00 - 30000.00 is a lot of money to me. I'm not wealthy by any means.

This is part of my retirement.
And also to say if u got less then 5yrs shouldn't be there is bull**** to.

If u lose money considerable the only way to make it back is to ride it out.

Figure it out . if u loose 60000.00 and go into a guaranteed fund at 2% how long is it going to take to make it back. And 2% is generous. Simple math.

Diversified i am. More then u will know.

Yahoo it will come back. If we move into tribulation. We are all screwed blued and tatooted

SNOOPY
08-25-2015, 08:24 PM
Almost like tires.

Figure it out . if u loose 60000.00 and go into a guaranteed fund at 2% how long is it going to take to make it back. And 2% is generous. Simple math.

Yahoo it will come back. If we move into tribulation. We are all screwed blued and tatooted

I'm not tattooed :shocked:

spacetiger
08-25-2015, 10:14 PM
Almost like tires.

bmccaffrey,

No mean poke intended.

The market moves, so I try not to sweat it too much; it comes and goes. I too hope I have enough when I need it like everyone else.

Now if they will put the 1330 [manual] in the ST body....

Jerry

jaherbst
08-25-2015, 11:08 PM
Take a aspirin and try not to think about it. It always returns.

Jack

Chupaca
08-25-2015, 11:42 PM
the ups and downs begin....was always told don't invest in the market if you need the money. Don't check on it daily unless you want a nervous breakdown. I have stayed the course and at several point been worthless and so far always come back averaging better returns than anywhere else..but the market is changing...:lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
08-26-2015, 06:56 AM
It's gonna be another fun day on Wall Street... :roflblack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_lcZcBcQ0o&feature=player_detailpage

Bob Denman
08-26-2015, 07:52 AM
By the way...

Did you hear about the Chinese investor who lost 13 BILLION dollars, as their markets crumbled?? :yikes:

How will he explain THAT to his Wife?? :lecturef_smilie::shocked:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/25/investing/wanda-wang-jianlin-wealth-loss/

Orange Spyder Man
08-26-2015, 08:17 AM
Stock Market is set up for the TRADERS on Wall Street to get rich on investors money... they do not risk a dime but make huge profits even if any loss occurs ... its the investors who lose not the "FANANCIAL ADVISORS nor TRADERS" .. if you invest money in the stock market .. its a gamble... some make money.... some lose their arse.. the ole saying "you don't lose anything unless you cash in is a "LIE" every time the stock market crashes it costs EVERY INVESTOR MONEY,
if you money was in a safe haven it would have earned interest and not incurred a loss.. when you reduce money by 5% - 10% - 15% it reduces any gains that would have normally made on that reduction... its an "ole investors tale" so you keep making money for them while you take all the risk...!!!

osm

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-26-2015, 12:13 PM
By the way...

Did you hear about the Chinese investor who lost 13 BILLION dollars, as their markets crumbled?? :yikes:

How will he explain THAT to his Wife?? :lecturef_smilie::shocked:

The same way he explains putting plastic resins in food or eating baby soup, DON'T TELL ANYONE!!:yikes:

billybovine
08-26-2015, 02:55 PM
There you just made your money back this afternoon!! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-26-2015, 03:04 PM
Its still off about a thousand points--but I like the back upward trend.

My "safe" mutual funds still are down 8%. I guess I better invest in some Dwayne bonds. :roflblack::roflblack:

Wonder if the Chinese investor who lost $13 Billion in the market had anything to do with our little predicament.

bmccaffrey
08-26-2015, 06:56 PM
There you just made your money back this afternoon!! :thumbup:

Needs to get back close to 18000 to break even.

But it's a start. Will take what we can get. Pray for more:pray: