PDA

View Full Version : JL Audio Slampack

SpyderJunky
08-24-2015, 07:10 PM
Hello, new Spyder owner here. I found a 2013 Spyder ST with 800 miles on it for a deal I couldn't pass up. It doesn't have a radio or many extras, but I bought it for my wife and she sure loves it.

Question? I'm wanting to add a JL Audio Slampack http://www.jlaudio.com/slpk-can-spyder1-powersports-slampak-94491
however it says that it won't fit but only the RS Models? I have talked with JL Audio Techs and they said the reason it won't fit is because of the Mirrors? Has anyone retrofitted this to fit? Please, I don't want to hear from the why don't you buy a helmet/mic setup crowd because you can't hear. She wants a stereo system, and I'm pretty sure you could hear this one at 75mph anyways LOL

Any help from someone who has tackled this or has installed this system on their RS, please chime in. Thanks for your time

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-24-2015, 08:05 PM
From a long time owner , audiophile , and penny pincher :roflblack:........#1. ...That price is simply outrageous, I'm not dissing you or J&L , just the cost for value ratio......OK.......#2.....If you are not deterred, I suggest you get a similar size speaker , put it in the " FRUNK " and play it with the frunk closed.....remember you be driving at least 50 mph most of the time ........# 3 ....You will no longer have a useable " FRUNK " because whatever you put in there is going to A. deaden the sound and B. cause it to overheat.....I have 4 X 5.25" JBL 2 OHM speakers on my RT that will shame that set-up.....and I only spent $ 116.00 for the speakers......and yes It's an RT and yours is an ST..................I would look at E-bay for " SHARK AUDIO ".......600 w + AMPS ....they have models with WIRED REMOTE CONTROLS that fit nicely on the handelbars..............Your big issue is going to be speaker housings......Contact ......" COZ " here and see what He did ...............and I highly recommend JBL 2 OHM speakers with them you don't need a high power AMP for great loud sound ...............Good Luck......Mike :thumbup:

Sempyder
08-24-2015, 09:07 PM
I would suggest you consult with Dan-Am he rides a RS and the most professional system outside of the JL audio system that I have scene. Coz has a DIY audio system that blue night 911............. Mentioned......... As well as all the cons of the JL system which is the Best on the Market. You can just get the pods for $700 which is pretty respectable. I have not read much from anyone that has bought the JL audio that has actually installed it themselves it seems to be installed by pro audio techs. You can download the install pdf for the JL audio slam Pak on the crutchfield.com site if i remember correctly.
The front/side facia of the ST is not the same as the RS so fitment will not be as streamline.

Sempert out,

Highwayman2013
08-24-2015, 10:57 PM
Hello, new Spyder owner here. I found a 2013 Spyder ST with 800 miles on it for a deal I couldn't pass up. It doesn't have a radio or many extras, but I bought it for my wife and she sure loves it.

Question? I'm wanting to add a JL Audio Slampack http://www.jlaudio.com/slpk-can-spyder1-powersports-slampak-94491
however it says that it won't fit but only the RS Models? I have talked with JL Audio Techs and they said the reason it won't fit is because of the Mirrors? Has anyone retrofitted this to fit? Please, I don't want to hear from the why don't you buy a helmet/mic setup crowd because you can't hear. She wants a stereo system, and I'm pretty sure you could hear this one at 75mph anyways LOL

Any help from someone who has tackled this or has installed this system on their RS, please chime in. Thanks for your time

I don't have the best hearing after driving Semis for 30 years, but I can assure you I can hear my bluetooth just fine at 80 mph. Just sayin'

coz
08-25-2015, 10:26 AM
This is what mine look like.

can't picture what the st dash looks like.

Sempyder
08-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Here is the link for slampak install.

Coz how is your system holding up. Anything u wish you would have changed? Looks awesome!!! As always.

http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mfg/9013/media_document/live_1/SLPKCANSPYDER1.pdf?1307415399

Sempert out,

coz
08-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Here is the link for slampak install.

Coz how is your system holding up. Anything u wish you would have changed? Looks awesome!!! As always.

http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mfg/9013/media_document/live_1/SLPKCANSPYDER1.pdf?1307415399

Sempert out,pretty good. It works as good now as it did on day one. I need to add an I- pod to it, other than that, it's been great. I've only got a couple hundred in the whole thing.

coz
08-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Anybody have a pic of the ST dash?

Sempyder
08-27-2015, 11:11 AM

2014 RS

2014 st

Sempert out,

coz
08-27-2015, 03:57 PM
I guess all st's have the built in speaker mounts, weather they have a radio or not. So..... What was the question again?:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: I would pack some bad ass speakers in that dash and use an amp, and whatever for a source. Couple hundred bucks should do it very nicely.

Sempyder
08-27-2015, 10:00 PM
I agree with you. That is the simplest most streamlined direction for the st with saving the frunk and getting loud music, but there is a difference in getting loud music and music that you feel. And everyone is a little different and we listen to different music in our own way.

Here is the fact the jl audio slam pak was not designed for the ST no one as of yet has attempted the project due to previous stated fact of fitment. If you want that still, go to local audio shop and have them fiberglass some pods for 7.7 marine grade speakers and custom 10 sub and amp tell them $1300 and go from there see what happens.

Sempert out,

Edsts
08-30-2015, 07:31 PM
Went to a local custom audio shop to get a quote on the installation , They too advise me the JL will not fit on my sts , The owner said they will make it fit by removing the mirrors and install the RS mirrors . The other option , since i have the speakers and radio is too install some quality speaker in the factory cut out and also get some hockey puck twitters install with the JL base speaker and amp in the frunk . Thinking bout doing it next season .

Sempyder
08-30-2015, 10:13 PM
Good solution I would choose plan b, I think you or audio tech is going to jump some hurdles with swapping out mirrors. Let us know how it turns out when u get a sec.

Sempert out,