PDA

View Full Version : cooling fan rotation on 2013 rt limited

Exditchdigger
08-24-2015, 03:50 PM
I purchased the rt with 9500 miles from a dealer, Had the recall done and love it.
Decided to install a block of plate on right side because of heat on right foot and noticed the fan was blowing the air forward
I've been a mechanic all my life and this doesn't make sense to me . Hoping someone can enlighten me Exditcndigger

PaladinLV
08-24-2015, 04:21 PM
When the Spyder is at rest/stopped and the fan comes on it blows the hot air away from you.
When moving and the fan comes on, it blows the air towards you! :D

AJ

I purchased the rt with 9500 miles from a dealer, Had the recall done and love it.
Decided to install a block of plate on right side because of heat on right foot and noticed the fan was blowing the air forward
I've been a mechanic all my life and this doesn't make sense to me . Hoping someone can enlighten me Exditcndigger

loisk
08-24-2015, 05:08 PM
I thought the reverse fan was only on 14 and later (1330) RTs, not 13 twins ?

Chupaca
08-24-2015, 06:26 PM
wonder if the installed that feature as part of the recall...?? :dontknow: as far as I know it was started with the 14's...

loisk
08-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Good point chupaca! I wonder...

oldguyinTX
08-24-2015, 09:21 PM
There is no reversal of the radiator fan on the 2013 RT's either as stock or as part of the recall. If yours is in fact reversing, you are indeed one lucky camper.

Cruzr Joe
08-24-2015, 09:30 PM

:agree:

Bob Denman
08-25-2015, 07:32 AM
Could this have been a modification by the previous owner? :dontknow:

Magdave
08-25-2015, 08:43 AM
There were a number of "Test Pilots" for the BRP heat fix in January that had the reversing radiator mod done as part of it. I remember reading at the end of the test they had a choice of returning to stock or keeping the changes. You may have gotten one of those bikes. :thumbup:

Dan McNally
08-25-2015, 08:59 AM
There is no reversal of the radiator fan on the 2013 RT's either as stock or as part of the recall. If yours is in fact reversing, you are indeed one lucky camper.

Could this have been a modification by the previous owner? :dontknow:

There were a number of "Test Pilots" for the BRP heat fix in January that had the reversing radiator mod done as part of it. I remember reading at the end of the test they had a choice of returning to stock or keeping the changes. You may have gotten one of those bikes. :thumbup:

There is also the possibility that it runs in reverse, all the time :shocked: - better check that out, incase a previous owner did a backyard mechanic hack of the wiring.

jaherbst
08-25-2015, 09:32 AM
This is normal. The fan was set to come on blowing forward at or below 6 mph on my 2013 in Las Vegas as part of an experimental fix by the factory along with a heat shroud and holes under the seat. This was done on only a few selected Spyders on a voluntary basis. It did not solve the problem and was never used on all 2013's. The last 2013 recall may have the fan reversal incorporated along with the new scoops. I do not know as I traded for a 2014 before the "air scoop" recall.

Jack

Exditchdigger
08-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Today I called the dealer about the fan rotation and he said they found a module and relays in the fan circuit they had never seen

and the fan was blowing forward and they left it alone. I will now call the previous owner and see if it was won of the few.
thank you all for your help. I will let you know what I find out. Exditchdigger

PaladinLV
08-25-2015, 11:38 AM
WHOOPS!
Didn't fully read :banghead:

AJ

Exditchdigger
08-29-2015, 10:11 AM
I contacted the previous owner and you guys were right, brp had installed the fan revers er
on a pilot program. I now have 2013 rt limited with no heat issues any where. Thank you all
for the information that cleared this up. Exditchdigger

Highwayman2013
08-29-2015, 12:00 PM
Sounds great you are indeed lucky.:clap:

forgiven1823
09-10-2015, 08:48 AM
Hey guys can I do anything about the heat under the Driver,I look like I have P'ed myself after a ride on a warm day,I do have a piece of heat shield off of a Race Car,could I attach that under the front of the seat,think that would help or any other idea's I am a new Spyder owner I have only had mine for three weeks a 2012 RT with 3800 miles,I had Harley's for years,but my Knees are shot I wish I had bought a Spyder sooner,I love this thing,no more low waves from the Harley riders,LoL oh well,my Spyder is Blue and just did a Wax job on my Baby she get more comment and turns more Head than any of my Harley's did,it is a much different ride,I knew you couldn't lean to ride but the dealer didn't tell me you lean yourself into the inside of the curves,so I felt like I was fighting it on the way hHome with it around curves especially at Clover leaves at the interstates,now I have it down after reading a lot about the Spyder,hope the go to Spyder Homecoming next year it is only about 400 miles from us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2RTsGV
09-10-2015, 09:19 AM
Hey guys can I do anything about the heat under the Driver,I look like I have P'ed myself after a ride on a warm day,I do have a piece of heat shield off of a Race Car,could I attach that under the front of the seat,think that would help or any other idea's I am a new Spyder owner I have only had mine for three weeks a 2012 RT with 3800 miles,I had Harley's for years,but my Knees are shot I wish I had bought a Spyder sooner,I love this thing,no more low waves from the Harley riders,LoL oh well,my Spyder is Blue and just did a Wax job on my Baby she get more comment and turns more Head than any of my Harley's did,it is a much different ride,I knew you couldn't lean to ride but the dealer didn't tell me you lean yourself into the inside of the curves,so I felt like I was fighting it on the way hHome with it around curves especially at Clover leaves at the interstates,now I have it down after reading a lot about the Spyder,hope the go to Spyder Homecoming next year it is only about 400 miles from us.

Has the bike been fitted with the scoops under the mirrors (same as they put on the 2013 model)? If not, check with the dealer you bought it from and see if they will get BRP to approve installing them free. Typically, as long as a bike is still under warranty (ie: new or extended) BRP has been installing the scoops gratis on pre 2013 models. Some dealers wont play, (which is sad), and if that is the case, it might be worth your while to call other dealers in your area to see if you can have them get BRP to install the scoops. The scoops will make a tremendous improvement regarding the heat.

Highwayman2013
09-10-2015, 09:36 AM

Just got the 2013 Scoops on my 2012 for free. Talk to your dealer about it, if they won't do anything you can buy them and install them yourself.http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/p/Parts#/s/BRP//219800388/1

Magdave
09-10-2015, 10:23 AM

Welcome to the forum. It will get you more and better answers to your questions if you start a new thread instead of hijacking and old one on a different topic than what you want to know. There are many threads on heat remediation the search box is your friend. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-11-2015, 08:31 AM
:agree: But :welcome: anyway... :2thumbs: