PDA

View Full Version : Front tire wear

Rob Rodriguez
08-23-2015, 09:06 PM
My Spyder RS has about 10,100 miles on it. I just replaced the rear tire. I was was looking at the front tires today and noticed on both sides that the inside of the tire is worn more than the outside. The wear looks identical on both tires and is gradually more from the inside of the tire to less on the outside. Is this normal wear for the Spyder front tires or should I have a laser alignment done? Driving the bike it doesn't feel out of alignment to me.

GOZFST
08-23-2015, 09:34 PM
Time for new tires and a Laser Alignment. While common this isn't normal.

Highwayman2013
08-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Sounds like you need an alignment.

SpyderAnn01
08-23-2015, 10:14 PM
Come on out to Las Vegas and we will get you squared away.

happyspyder2039
08-23-2015, 11:08 PM
My Spyder RS has about 10,100 miles on it. I just replaced the rear tire. I was was looking at the front tires today and noticed on both sides that the inside of the tire is worn more than the outside. The wear looks identical on both tires and is gradually more from the inside of the tire to less on the outside. Is this normal wear for the Spyder front tires or should I have a laser alignment done? Driving the bike it doesn't feel out of alignment to me.what tire pressure are you running?

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-23-2015, 11:21 PM
My Spyder RS has about 10,100 miles on it. I just replaced the rear tire. I was was looking at the front tires today and noticed on both sides that the inside of the tire is worn more than the outside. The wear looks identical on both tires and is gradually more from the inside of the tire to less on the outside. Is this normal wear for the Spyder front tires or should I have a laser alignment done? Driving the bike it doesn't feel out of alignment to me.
Rob,I could tell you how to tweek it yourself.......But I suggest you go over to the shop in Conway NH , I know they have the " Lazer " set-up there........Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
08-23-2015, 11:49 PM
have it aligned...I had the outter edge on one going had it laser aligned and rode it to 30,000 miles. Changed tires and realigned to make sure...:thumbup: Squared Away did it both times. :2thumbs::ohyea:

Flamewinger
08-24-2015, 01:14 AM
On a car, alignment makes the wheel point in the right direction AND correct its camber (vertical setting). On our Spyders, alignment only gets them pointing correctly.

Check your suspension and either get the shocks rebuilt or replaced. I had similar problems and had 10k miles on Fox shocks and was able to adjust them. 5k miles later I got Elkas. Still normal tire wear. (Had alignment done before this problem showed up)

Susie
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DrewNJ
08-24-2015, 05:41 AM
Before everyone jumps to conclusions, Any pics of the wear?
10k is typically about the half life of the fronts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rob Rodriguez
08-24-2015, 07:27 AM
Before everyone jumps to conclusions, Any pics of the wear?
10k is typically about the half life of the fronts.

Not the best but here are the pics. If this were a car I'd actually rotate the tires or have the lean-in/out (caster camber) adjusted becasue to me it looks like more of that type of issue but with the Spyder you don't do those things.

Sarge707
08-24-2015, 07:41 AM
It was common on the 09GS- I had my alignment shop rotate the tires from one rim to another and reverse the wear and go another 10,000 miles. They rotated and computer balanced for about $60.

DrewNJ
08-24-2015, 07:46 AM
IMHO, if the machine is handling the way you'd like I wouldn't touch anything....

wyliec
08-24-2015, 08:48 AM
It was common on the 09GS- I had my alignment shop rotate the tires from one rim to another and reverse the wear and go another 10,000 miles. They rotated and computer balanced for about $60.

I guess I was lucky with my 2008. I didn't have the OP's problem, and my fronts lasted to just over 30,000 miles.

Rob Rodriguez
08-24-2015, 08:58 AM
IMHO, if the machine is handling the way you'd like I wouldn't touch anything....

It handles perfectly in my opinion although I don't know any different really since I've not touched it since new (other than the BajaRon Sway bar and Fox shocks upgrade). I just want to be sure I get the maximum life out of the tires. I think I'll try rotating them and see what happens. That's a quick and easy thing.

I might do the laser alignment out of curiosity to see if it makes a difference in handling.

Thank you people ;)

CANUCK SPYDER
08-24-2015, 09:05 AM
I was going to post a new comment but thinking be fine here, My 08 GS at If recall 12,000Km/7500Miles had fronts replaced. Recently noticed right(throttle side) seems to be wearing as the original set did. Inside seems too be tapering/wearing from the Inside other side is fine. Buddy at the stealer ship told me "Common with the right" Really have trouble swallowing that one. Sure seems too be happening again just right tire, He also suggested rotating mine..D

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Rotating is a " BANDAID "...if you are a bandaid sort of person there is no point in discussing this further ........and if a dealer or worse a" tech " person tells you ABNORMAL tire wear is normal .......run away fast and don't return, they are either in-competent or worse lying because they want sell you very expensive tires ( CRAPENDA'S )........JMO.....Mike :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
08-24-2015, 09:37 AM
It handles perfectly in my opinion although I don't know any different really since I've not touched it since new (other than the BajaRon Sway bar and Fox shocks upgrade). I just want to be sure I get the maximum life out of the tires. I think I'll try rotating them and see what happens. That's a quick and easy thing.

I might do the laser alignment out of curiosity to see if it makes a difference in handling.

Thank you people ;)

Well, you won't know if the laser alignment works until you get one done.

CANUCK SPYDER
08-24-2015, 09:38 AM
Rotating is a " BANDAID "...if you are a bandaid sort of person there is no point in discussing this further ........and if a dealer or worse a" tech " person tells you ABNORMAL tire wear is normal .......run away fast and don't return, they are either in-competent or worse lying because they want sell you very expensive tires ( CRAPENDA'S )........JMO.....Mike :thumbup:

:agree: I Didn't swallow it.....

Rob Rodriguez
08-24-2015, 09:49 AM

Since the tires are already worn uneven would you rotate them and do the alignment or just do the alignment?

SpyderAnn01
08-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Since the tires are already worn uneven would you rotate them and do the alignment or just do the alignment?

Do the alignment but don't rotate, it is really a waste of time and money to rotate tires once they are worn unevenly.

Explorer
08-24-2015, 11:42 AM
I had a similar problem on my 2014 ST-L. At Spyderfest 2015, Danny and the Tec at Pit Bull re-aligned it, and tightened the springs on the Fox shocks, with me on it. The wheels are now vertical and I have added 10,000 miles and counting.
1. Get it laser aligned.
2. Have a good tec tighten the Fox springs.
Good luck,
Roger

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-24-2015, 02:15 PM

IF YOU OWN A TIRE SHOP AND IT'S FREE --- ROTATE THEM----OTHERWISE IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY .......and Rob it's really hard to tell from the PICS just how bad the inside of the tires are worn........that being said .....if you get the " LAZER " alignment it will stop any further abnormal tire wear.....( correct me Ann if I'm wrong on this ) ........Your lateral traction should be fine even with the minor wear difference.........When your tires will no longer pass inspection or you just decide to get new ones ....at least you will know the new ones should last a lot longer ......jmho.......Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-24-2015, 02:30 PM
:agree: What's been done; is done.
But a laser alignment will prevent any more uneven wear. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-24-2015, 02:59 PM
We had wear on the fronts of the 2011 so bad that I changed them out at about 8900 miles. Had the dealer do a BRP type alignment.

When Squared Away came up here about 8000 miles later, the wheels were off so much, they said it was one of the most mis-aligned ones they have seen.

They aligned it, we did not rotate the tires, and the :spyder2: drives like it is on a track.

missouriboy
08-24-2015, 04:35 PM
When I traded my 2012 (see sig below) the OEM Kendas looked to be only half worn out, and the tread was only slightly thinner on one edge than the other. I forget which edge (in/out). This was without any aftermarket alignment whatsoever.

Just good luck, I guess.

Pampurrs
08-24-2015, 04:46 PM

Thank you people ;)

But you don't need to go all the way to Las Vegas from Vermont. There are plenty of dealers who have the laser align equipment. Just look at their website ----> http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm

If I were you, I'd find someone who is willing to check it first, and only charge you if it actually needs to be aligned. :lecturef_smilie:

Pam

Rob Rodriguez
08-24-2015, 04:51 PM
But you don't need to go all the way to Las Vegas from Vermont. There are plenty of dealers who have the laser align equipment. Just look at their website ----> http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm

If I were you, I'd find someone who is willing to check it first, and only charge you if it actually needs to be aligned. :lecturef_smilie:

Pam

Hi Pam,

There is a dealer about 2 hours from me in Conway, NH that does laser alignment. It's a nice ride to their shop so I'll call and set up an appointment there. I guess I'll do the alignment, skip the tire rotation and maybe adjust the shocks depending on how the alignment works out.

Pampurrs
08-24-2015, 04:53 PM
Hi Pam,

There is a dealer about 2 hours from me in Conway, NH that does laser alignment. It's a nice ride to their shop so I'll call and set up an appointment there. I guess I'll do the alignment, skip the tire rotation and maybe adjust the shocks depending on how the alignment works out.

:thumbup:

bmccaffrey
08-24-2015, 07:05 PM
I have over 10000 miles on my kendas. noticed front left tire is wearing onn inside minimal.

I did have a lazer alignment last year at spyderquest by Mike at rolo.

I think it's the great kenda tire and not the alignment part.

Pam most of them will not charge you if no alignment is needed.

MrBones
08-24-2015, 09:28 PM
Don't know anything about lazer stuff but had mine done at about 10,000 miles by just a Can Am shop and my tires are still good at over 35,400 miles on the fronts. Can a lazer get any better than this?? And just for my info what does a lazer cost??

Rob Rodriguez
09-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Just to follow up. I had my bike laser aligned this morning. They said it was out about 3/8" which in my mind isn't very much. They agreed it was very small. They also said in their experience the front tire wear I'm seeing is normal for the Spyder. They blame it on no caster/camber adjustment. So, I guess it is what it is.

I didn't notice any difference in handling on the 150 mile ride home after the alignment.

The shop I visited was very large and very nice. They had a great Spyder display set up. Talking with the sales guy they had sold 15 Spyders this year. Surprisingly not one of them has been an F3. The sales guy was shocked, he thought they would be decent sellers. If you're looking for an F3 they would probably be willing to "deal". Profile Power Sports, Conway, New Hanpshire