PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Maximum Tire Pressure

MikeT
08-23-2015, 09:41 AM
Are any RT owners using tire pressures in the OEM Kendas above what is recommended in the Owner's manual? if so, what are you running. Coming from a GL1800 trike with a bias ply front tire, my tire pressures were higher all the way around. of course they were 4ply tires too.

Chupaca
08-23-2015, 09:49 AM
on the oem you have the recommondation in the manual and on the swing arm. You have to find your sweet spot but most are running 28/30lbs. If you switch to auto tires your search starts over. Tires also have max on them but usually rated for auto weights...:thumbup:

trikermutha
08-23-2015, 10:31 AM
I went from 28 to 24 because of the tire wear..Find the pressure that works for you..

Mazo EMS2
08-23-2015, 12:39 PM
24 in the fronts (OEM Kendas) and 28 in the rear (car tire) Nice smooth ride and cornering for me. It's personal preference and observation of tire wear.

Cruzr Joe
08-23-2015, 01:52 PM
24 in the fronts (OEM Kendas) and 28 in the rear (car tire) Nice smooth ride and cornering for me. It's personal preference and observation of tire wear.

Everyone has their preference, and riding style, anything over 19 in the front makes my RTL bounce too much in the front end, 28 in the rear is good.

Cruzr Joe

Highwayman2013
08-23-2015, 01:55 PM
The maximum should be on the sidewall. I can't tell you because I don't use the stock Kendas.

Bob Denman
08-23-2015, 05:26 PM
I've heard of folks running a lot less air in the rear tire, when they switch to something automotive... :D
Their reasoning seems to be that if it can hold up a car with about 30 psi or so; how much should it take to hold up half of a motorcycle... nojoke

ARtraveler
08-23-2015, 05:31 PM
I have been running 18 in the fronts and 28 in the rear tires from day one, over five different :ani29:'s. Any more in the front and the bumps are to noticeable.

Peter Aawen
08-23-2015, 07:13 PM
?.....
Their reasoning seems to be that if it can hold up a car with about 30 psi or so; how much should it take to hold up half of a motorcycle...

There's that, agreed; but there's also the fact that any tire (MC or Passenger construction) needs a pressure increase of about 4 psi for it to get to it's optimum operating temp or it just won't work properly, & not working properly means less traction, more or incorrect wear, ride & handling shortfalls, & possibly even internal damage to the tire construction. Running pressures that are too high in any tire is not good for it and not good for you as well as being more expensive over time. So why wouldn't you make the effort to run a 'closer to optimal' tire pressure that is better suited to whatever tyre you've fitted to your bike; better matched to your riding style & load; more likely to give you the ride & handling you desire; & a whole lot more good things too? Or you could just keep running the 'recommended pressure' for the OE tire which is in reality just the 'best guess' compromise pressure that the manufacturer expects will be 'reasonable fit' for the majority of their best guess at the riding style, needs & wants, & the use most riders are likely to expect from the bike?! And that's even before we start talking about changing to a different make & construction tire than the OE tire, let alone the size & load rating differences.... :gaah:

You've changed all sorts of other things to better suit what you want from your bike, haven't you? I expect you've added or upgraded some things about the bike to give you better performance & maybe improve the ride & handling to suit what you prefer too, but if you haven't worked out any better tire pressure for YOU & YOUR use of the bike rather than slavishly sticking to that 'recommended best guess compromise tire pressure' then you've probably ignored the simplest way you are ever likely to find to improve both ride & handling as well as to get the best life out of your tire too!?! :hun:

Seems a bit odd to me that more riders haven't &/or don't take the extremely easy step of adjusting their tire pressures to suit themselves & their use of the bike, especially when they complain about so many things that are directly related to the 'less than optimum' pressure they are running in their tires (even if that pressure does happen to be the manufacturers 'best guess' at a compromise to suit most) but especially when so many will readily take the step of accessorising or modifying so many other things on it? :shocked: